Author Topic: Breaking News  (Read 50220 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Breaking News
« Reply #330 on: October 15, 2021, 07:12:44 AM »
I think most "reporting" about wokeness-gone-too-far is bullshit meant to rile up culture warriors but I got nothing here. This is pretty dumb.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #331 on: October 15, 2021, 07:15:12 AM »
For the record my kids love dressing up in costumes and Halloween, but if their school nixed it I wouldn't be outraged, we have plenty of other ways for them to have a good Halloween, but it just seems unnecessary.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2021, 07:40:12 AM »
For the record my kids love dressing up in costumes and Halloween, but if their school nixed it I wouldn't be outraged, we have plenty of other ways for them to have a good Halloween, but it just seems unnecessary.

#HubieHalloween
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #333 on: October 15, 2021, 08:05:03 AM »
Clearly this is the work of JE.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #334 on: October 15, 2021, 01:03:17 PM »
I think most "reporting" about wokeness-gone-too-far is bullshit meant to rile up culture warriors but I got nothing here. This is pretty dumb.
The reporting aspect whether incidental or fueled by a calculated motive is besides the point.  Halloween in and of itself absolutely rules as a kid's activity and is not 'guilty as charged' of marginalization or anything else these over-officious jerks (thx marv levy) would have you believe.

"Plenty of other ways to have a good Halloween?"  What, some "officially sanctioned" watered-down bullshit?  Halloween in its essence has a dark side and yes (as kids turn into punks) a subversive vibe to it as well (*eggs/shaving cream*)..  Halloween is unique in that it involves the night, i.e. its 'dark side' is part of its occultist origins and freaking with Halloween is like taking 'Fascination' and the gritty underworld out of Times Sq. and replacing it with an 'approved, family-friendly' antiseptic, Disney fucksimilie.  Just the idea of an organization 86'ing Halloween is absurd and to blow it off as no big deal comes off as running interference for "one's own team."   

https://time.com/5434659/halloween-pagan-origins-in-samhain/

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #335 on: October 15, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »
I remember when it was the right that were over-censorious assholes.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #336 on: October 15, 2021, 01:42:27 PM »

The reporting aspect whether incidental or fueled by a calculated motive is besides the point.  Halloween in and of itself absolutely rules as a kid's activity and is not 'guilty as charged' of marginalization or anything else these over-officious jerks (thx marv levy) would have you believe.
"Plenty of other ways to have a good Halloween?"  What, some "officially sanctioned" watered-down bullshit? 

I think you misinterpreted what I said. My kids would still go trick or treating. I don't care what the school does or doesn't do.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2021, 01:57:48 PM »
"Plenty of other ways to have a good Halloween?"  What, some "officially sanctioned" watered-down bullshit?  Halloween in its essence has a dark side and yes (as kids turn into punks) a subversive vibe to it as well (*eggs/shaving cream*)..  Halloween is unique in that it involves the night, i.e. its 'dark side' is part of its occultist origins and freaking with Halloween is like taking 'Fascination' and the gritty underworld out of Times Sq. and replacing it with an 'approved, family-friendly' antiseptic, Disney fucksimilie.  Just the idea of an organization 86'ing Halloween is absurd and to blow it off as no big deal comes off as running interference for "one's own team."   

https://time.com/5434659/halloween-pagan-origins-in-samhain/

That's a bad take for a few reasons:

most obviously, halloween in school is definitely the absolute lamest, non-subversive, officially antiseptic, Disneyfied version of the holiday you will ever find. Getting halloween out of schools does way more to keep it "gritty" than throwing a tantrum about an elementary school getting rid of its freaking Pumpkin Parade.

second most obviously, schools have been 'cancelling' costumes/halloween for decades for dozens of reasons. Christians worried about paganism, teachers not wanting distractions, income inequality/pressure to have expensive costumes, it just being a pain in the derriere, harder to enforce dress codes, all of this happens all the time and it is not national-news worthy and hasn't been for years. blaming it on wokism is just falling for people using culture war clickbait to monetize outrage.

Third most obviously, they're literally right. If a school is noticing a persistent demographic of students is opting out of a superfluous celebratory event, changing it so that it better suits the needs of all students (like getting rid of costumes) is literally the school administration's job. Its also why my elementary school shut down costumes in the 90s when we had seventh day adventists complaining. Not news then, not news now.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #338 on: October 15, 2021, 04:10:24 PM »
That's a bad take for a few reasons:

most obviously, halloween in school is definitely the absolute lamest, non-subversive, officially antiseptic, Disneyfied version of the holiday you will ever find. Getting halloween out of schools does way more to keep it "gritty" than throwing a tantrum about an elementary school getting rid of its freaking Pumpkin Parade.

second most obviously, schools have been 'cancelling' costumes/halloween for decades for dozens of reasons. Christians worried about paganism, teachers not wanting distractions, income inequality/pressure to have expensive costumes, it just being a pain in the derriere, harder to enforce dress codes, all of this happens all the time and it is not national-news worthy and hasn't been for years. blaming it on wokism is just falling for people using culture war clickbait to monetize outrage.

Third most obviously, they're literally right. If a school is noticing a persistent demographic of students is opting out of a superfluous celebratory event, changing it so that it better suits the needs of all students (like getting rid of costumes) is literally the school administration's job. Its also why my elementary school shut down costumes in the 90s when we had seventh day adventists complaining. Not news then, not news now.

First off 'most obviously' I dig the prig  : )

The cynical assumption that wokeism here is driving some cultural war clickbait again was and is not the point.  For starters you can't arbitrarily assign or assume the motives of others just because their take on something doesn't align with yours, i.e. disagree all you like but don't summarily dismiss it with a self-serving narrative.

second most obvious (in red), re: income equality: here's where the 'creativity' part comes in.  A very creative costume can be put together for zilch.  Income inequality where it relates to Halloween?  Socio-eco-political hoo-ha.   Give me a discarded swath from a screen door and a roll of aluminum foil and I'll whip up a first-class hash pipe of a costume (admittedly maybe not appropriate for junior but you get the $-prudent picture). 

Third most obvious (sniff...sniff...) : )  you disdainfully look down at Halloween as something venial yet on the other hand your school felt compelled to cave into a religious organization that viewed it as some sort of  threat to their sensibilities (seven day adventists)?   A basic constitutional tenet regarding separation of church and state couldn't stand on its own because of exactly what?  So Halloween does not (ever) contain a kernel of subversiveness?  Sounded like subversiveness was at play on both sides of the school/7th day adv. aisle.   

Agree to disagree and imho you do not 'get' Halloween....it's way beyond candy corn in a bag....

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #339 on: October 15, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »

I think you misinterpreted what I said. My kids would still go trick or treating. I don't care what the school does or doesn't do.

I apparently did - my bad.  Got it B.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2021, 01:52:33 AM »

Yes, no one should ever have any festivals or hold any events if some people don't celebrate something.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #341 on: October 17, 2021, 05:50:07 AM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2021, 11:12:34 AM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2021, 06:54:38 AM »
https://twitter.com/cbs58/status/1462611708472659970?s=21

Interesting how this went from media lead story to ignored altogether only one day later after some apparently inconvenient 'details' emerged. 

Tags: