Author Topic: REX STAYS/ NEW YEAR JET'S MOCK  (Read 9396 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: REX STAYS/ NEW YEAR JET'S MOCK
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »
I watched a good amount of Attaochu recently, and he is probably the only OLB prospect that isnt a 1st round prospect that I really came away impressed. Very good all around prospect- has some bend to him, nice burst and is pretty relentless. Id love him with that Bucs pick. He would be my ideal pick for an OLB in the draft.

Have you seen Demarcus Lawrence?   
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »
Have you seen Demarcus Lawrence?

I think maybe once or twice, he's another one I have to watch.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
I think maybe once or twice, he's another one I have to watch.

He flies around, man.  He isn't one of those pass rushers that just gets sacks.  He makes a lot of plays against the run too, which is something I've really started to focus on when looking at OLBs. 

Lawrence isn't going to disappear for stretches. 

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
He flies around, man.  He isn't one of those pass rushers that just gets sacks.  He makes a lot of plays against the run too, which is something I've really started to focus on when looking at OLBs. 

Lawrence isn't going to disappear for stretches.

Ill try and take a look at him later tonight and get back to you on him.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »
Not crazy with the idea of a 1st round TE. I'd rather go WR.

1st round TE's taken last 10 years:

Coby Fleener: has played well but too soon to say
Jermaine Gresham: good but not great
Brandon Pettigrew: see Jermaine Gresham
Dustin Keller: average
Greg Olsen: good.. fringe top 10 guy imo
Vernon Davis: elite (note - 6th overall pick)
Marcedes Lewis: always seemed poised to break out but fizzled away
Heath Miller: see Greg Olsen
Kellen Winslow: up and down throughout the years but ultimately a headcase
Benjamin Watson: meh
Dallas Clark: had a great stretch but with Peyton Manning throwing the ball he's hard to gauge

The only guy from that list I'd take as a first rounder is Vernon Davis. Olsen/Miller as well if I'm desperate.
I'd prefer to take a TE with one of the 3rd round selections. Granted this historical data has no bearing on the 2014 draft but it's worth seeing the perceived value at the position vs the results. One positive is that I wouldn't call any of the above busts.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:47:06 PM by Pope »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
The only guy from that list I'd take as a first rounder is Vernon Davis. Olsen/Miller as well if I'm desperate. I'd prefer to take a TE with one of the 3rd round selections.

The talent drop off from Ebron/Amaro/Seferian-Jenkins to the tight ends that will be around in the third round is huge. 

I could make a similar list of receivers drafted in the first round that haven't panned out.  It happens. 

Eric Ebron is arguably the most physically gifted TE to enter since Vernon Davis.  He's got some serious wheels.  It'd be like adding another receiver, because he has more than enough ability to split out if needed. 

Kellen Winslow was a great player at the position until the motorcycle crash.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:51:33 PM by Heismanberg »

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »
The talent drop off from Ebron/Amaro/Seferian-Jenkins to the tight ends that will be around in the third round is huge.
3rd round is more hypothetical but I'm more interested I'm finding a #1 guy at WR in the first vs a TE at 18. If a TE is far and away the BPA in the first or second round then go for it. My issue is that it doesn't seem that there's a TE in this draft that is head and shoulders above what will be available at WR/QB in round 1.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 04:52:47 PM »
3rd round is more hypothetical but I'm more interested I'm finding a #1 guy at WR in the first vs a TE at 18. If a TE is far and away the BPA in the first or second round then go for it. My issue is that it doesn't seem that there's a TE in this draft that is head and shoulders above what will be available at WR/QB in round 1.

Eric Ebron just might be above every receiver except for Sammy Watkins. 

If we weren't picking at 18, it would be a different story.  But the elite QBs will be gone and so will the elite WRs. 

I'm telling you, man.  There's three TEs in this class that have the ability to be big time players.  That's it.  The group is not strong as a whole like the wideout class that will have quality prospects in the middle rounds. 

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
Anyone have a free agent list for TEs? Jimmy Graham is probably a pipe dream but we have the cap space to acquire a starting TE if available.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »
Anyone have a free agent list for TEs? Jimmy Graham is probably a pipe dream but we have the cap space to acquire a starting TE if available.

http://www.jetoffensive.com/index.php?topic=417.0

Shellder Richardson

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
The other Graham wouldn't be a bad option, though Texans always manage to have healthy stats at the TE position.

I'd say the same about Fred Davis if he hadn't become absolutely irrelevant over the past 2 seasons. 2 times in a row no one wanted him, once through free agency and this past season with trades. Dude fell hard.

None of those save Jimmy Graham are better than the talent coming out, it'd be another band-aid year.

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
Would love this draft more with Allen Robinson or Odell Beckham or Davante Adams or Jordan Matthews in round 2. One of them will be there. I prefer all of them to Cooks. I like Cooks. Just think we'd be better off with one of the guys I mentioned.

Following the Big Ten as closely as I do, I'm not as thrilled with Robinson as most. Robinson is solid player, he just doesn't seem to be as big of a play maker as other WRs that will be available. I wish Robinson at more TD production. I really like Matthews, similar stats to Robinson, but I believe he will have a solid NFL career, very smart player that runs very good routes and can adjust to the defense.

Cooks , IMO, is the biggest play maker of this 2nd tier group of WRs. Cooks had 16 TDs in 2013. Cooks is elusive and seems to come up big when needed. Some GMs maybe scared of Cooks size, some believe he may not even be 5'10". we'll find out at the combine. I expect Cooks to do well in drills at the combine.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:25:56 PM by WW85 »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »
Cooks , IMO, is the biggest play maker of this 2nd tier group of WRs. Cooks had 16 TDs in 2013. Cooks is elusive and seems to come up big when needed. Some GMs maybe scared of Cooks size, some believe he may not even be 5'10". we'll find out at the combine. I expect Cooks to do well in drills at the combine.

Is Davante Adams a part of your second tier group or do you have him near the top like a lot of us do? 

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 06:28:40 PM »
Is Davante Adams a part of your second tier group or do you have him near the top like a lot of us do?

I have him as a Mid/late Rd 1 possibility........close to Lee.

What do you think of Abbrederis?, he almost declared last year. If he was available with our Tampa pick I wouldn't hesitate. He was my favorite WR in the Big Ten.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 06:33:06 PM »
What do you think of Abbrederis?, he almost declared last year. If he was available with our Tampa pick I wouldn't hesitate. He was my favorite WR in the Big Ten.

I'd love to get him with one of those third rounds.  I've mentioned the lack of reliability from our receiving corps a few times lately. 

Matthews and Abbrederis would give this team consistency and reliability.  Both are route running technicians and they catch everything.  The kind of players that a young QB can depend on. 

I don't think either will be huge playmakers at the next level, but as possession prospects, they are impressive. 

Tags: