Author Topic: Sam "the nice one" Darnold  (Read 261556 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: Sam "the nice one" Darnold
« Reply #2520 on: November 22, 2020, 10:15:19 PM »
The Johnsons made good hires the first ten years they owned the team, because Parcells set them up. They're not football guys, they know this so they rely on hired football people. If they listen to the right people they can make the right hires, that's what it comes down to.

They gave Douglas a 6 year contract and his first draft is starting to look like maybe he knows what he's doing. So if they're smart they'll let him take it from here, since they hired him to be the GM already. And if not then replace him.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #2521 on: November 23, 2020, 03:29:58 PM »
Robby Sabo
@RobbySabo
·
7m
It sounds like everything is good with Sam Darnold when throwing the ball. The key is when he's tackled, driven into the turf on that shoulder. #TakeFlight

Gase: "I'd like to see him play with our starting wide receivers."

So really, Darnold is one hit away from annihlation. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2522 on: November 23, 2020, 04:48:43 PM »
If the Jets were sold one way or the other with Darnold, I think he would be sitting out. If they believed in him as the QB of the future, he would be on IR, rest your shoulder, see you next year. If they were done with Darnold and knew they were moving on, they would sit him so he doesn't reinjure himself and hurt his trade value.

Since they're on the fence, they want to see how he looks down the stretch. If he's impressive enough, he becomes a strong option to debate against Fields and Wilson.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2523 on: November 23, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
If the Jets were sold one way or the other with Darnold, I think he would be sitting out. If they believed in him as the QB of the future, he would be on IR, rest your shoulder, see you next year. If they were done with Darnold and knew they were moving on, they would sit him so he doesn't reinjure himself and hurt his trade value.

Since they're on the fence, they want to see how he looks down the stretch. If he's impressive enough, he becomes a strong option to debate against Fields and Wilson.

I don't see it wildly impossible that they draft Lawrence and keep Darnold. I suppose that will depend on whether the head coach and GM, whoever they are next season, believe that rookies should earn their jobs or be handed them. (I don't have a strong feeling on that, I can see pros and cons to both arguments.)
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2524 on: November 23, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »
I don't see it wildly impossible that they draft Lawrence and keep Darnold. I suppose that will depend on whether the head coach and GM, whoever they are next season, believe that rookies should earn their jobs or be handed them. (I don't have a strong feeling on that, I can see pros and cons to both arguments.)
It makes no sense to keep Darnold IMO if you draft Lawrence. Even if you think it makes sense for rookies to earn their jobs, Darnold hopefully has too much value around the league to waste him like that. It would be wasting an asset.

If they want to bring in someone like Foles or Fitz or Flacco or Tyrod or [insert mediocre QB here] and have a "QB competition," I'm fine with that. But if we draft Lawrence, there's no chance Darnold is on the roster in 2022, and we would be wasting an asset we can get a good draft pick for.

If Darnold does turn into a star elsewhere, like Drew Brees did, I would like to at least have gotten a draft pick for him.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2525 on: November 23, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »
I don't see it wildly impossible that they draft Lawrence and keep Darnold.

It'd be impossibly stupid to keep Darnold because a portion of our moronic fanbase would root against Lawrence in favor of Darnold.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2526 on: November 23, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »
It'd be impossibly stupid to keep Darnold because a portion of our moronic fanbase would root against Lawrence in favor of Darnold.

You think? I can't see it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2527 on: November 23, 2020, 05:46:28 PM »

When so you believe the team has shown evidence that it actually cares about what the fans think in terms of personnel decisions?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2528 on: November 23, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
When so you believe the team has shown evidence that it actually cares about what the fans think in terms of personnel decisions?

Players care

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #2529 on: November 23, 2020, 07:09:58 PM »
if lawrence is on this team there's no way we keep darnold unless the team is absolutely hell-bent on needlessly fvcking with the psyche of 2 young QBs for no reason other than to keep fvcking things up

after writing out the sentence, i can see it happening now

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2530 on: November 23, 2020, 07:35:36 PM »
if lawrence is on this team there's no way we keep darnold unless the team is absolutely hell-bent on needlessly fvcking with the psyche of 2 young QBs for no reason other than to keep fvcking things up

after writing out the sentence, i can see it happening now

It wouldn’t be too far off from Brees/Rivers, although I don’t think it’s likely.

Players care

Then you should have led with that.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2531 on: November 23, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »
It wouldn’t be too far off from Brees/Rivers, although I don’t think it’s likely.

Drew Brees wasn't a top three pick. 

Then you should have led with that.

Why? 

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #2532 on: November 23, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »
Dallas took Steve Walsh in the old supplemental draft just weeks after taking Troy Aikman #1 overall in 1989. Walsh actually won the job at first and won their only game that year (1-15). I guess the philosophy was one of them was bound to be good, it ended up being Aikman of course.

Point being, I could see both guys being here for maybe a year or two tops.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2533 on: November 23, 2020, 08:50:39 PM »
Drew Brees wasn't a top three pick. 

Why? 

1. You’ll notice I used a qualifier there

2. Because it seems to be the major point of your comment.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #2534 on: November 24, 2020, 02:07:25 AM »
It wouldn’t make sense to keep Darnold. Next year is the last “cheap” year of his rookie contract. Hence teams would be more likely to give draft picks for a one year audition. Next year he’s either a FA or we pick up his option, which would make him be paid around 30 million per year. We wouldn’t get a conditional 7th and the return of Tim Tebow for him. We’re rebuilding, we need those picks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:52:48 AM by MexJetinBcn »