Author Topic: Sam "the nice one" Darnold  (Read 261608 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Sam "the nice one" Darnold
« Reply #3180 on: March 02, 2021, 10:01:47 AM »
JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
 · 2m
5 teams have called Houston about QB Deshaun Watson, but Washington isnt one of them, per the great @McClain_on_NFL.
Not big surprise, WFT unlikely to have the draft capital to compete in that trade market

Tailor made for a Sam Darnold trade to WFT
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3181 on: March 02, 2021, 12:54:13 PM »
JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
 · 2m
5 teams have called Houston about QB Deshaun Watson, but Washington isnt one of them, per the great @McClain_on_NFL.
Not big surprise, WFT unlikely to have the draft capital to compete in that trade market

Tailor made for a Sam Darnold trade to WFT

If we're trading for Deshaun, can we take John McClain as well?

Our beat writers should be so capable.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3183 on: March 03, 2021, 11:41:56 AM »
If we're trading for Deshaun, can we take John McClain as well?

Our beat writers should be so capable.
Seriously? I feel like I've lost respect for McClain during this Watson debacle. He's basically been a mouthpiece for the Texans organization.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3184 on: March 03, 2021, 11:43:31 AM »
Seriously? I feel like I've lost respect for McClain during this Watson debacle. He's basically been a mouthpiece for the Texans organization.

He changes what he says every week.  First it was "he won't be traded", then "it could happen, but it would be stupid", now it's "they'd be stupid not to trade him for a huge haul".

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3185 on: March 03, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »

McClain has been dead on accurate on everything he's reported so far in relation to the Texans coaching search and Deshaun, while IMHO certainly not blowing the organization.

And at the same time, this is an organization who just had a beat writer banished, and who currently has coverage from two guys that have been freaking absolutely dormant since week 17 (Costello and Cimini) and a guy who's busy watching movies he should've freaking watched when he was a teenager like the rest of us.

He changes what he says every week.  First it was "he won't be traded", then "it could happen, but it would be stupid", now it's "they'd be stupid not to trade him for a huge haul".

Is he not allowed to change his posture given the changing circumstances and dynamics of a volatile situation? When this first broke I thought it'd be stupid as excrement to trade Deshaun as well, but I also thought they were going to hire Bieniemy and basically give the man whatever assurances he wanted to make it right.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #3186 on: March 03, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »
McClain has been dead on accurate on everything he's reported so far in relation to the Texans coaching search and Deshaun, while IMHO certainly not blowing the organization.

"The Jets have to trade both firsts this year, next years firsts, plus Quinnen Williams for Deshaun"

That is not accurate
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3187 on: March 03, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »

And at the same time, this is an organization who just had a beat writer banished, and who currently has coverage from two guys that have been freaking absolutely dormant since week 17 (Costello and Cimini) and a guy who's busy watching movies he should've freaking watched when he was a teenager like the rest of us.

Is he not allowed to change his posture given the changing circumstances and dynamics of a volatile situation? When this first broke I thought it'd be stupid as excrement to trade Deshaun as well, but I also thought they were going to hire Bieniemy and basically give the man whatever assurances he wanted to make it right.

You aren't a beat writer with supposed inside knowledge.  Yet you are about as reliable so far on the Watson situation.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3188 on: March 03, 2021, 12:05:46 PM »
"The Jets have to trade both firsts this year, next years firsts, plus Quinnen Williams for Deshaun"

That is not accurate

He qualified that by saying "If I'm the Texans." That's merely a beat reporter saying what he would do. I'm not going to hold it against Cimini if the Jets don't draft the guy he says in the coming weeks "this is who they should draft' as that being proof that he missed on a story. It isn't the same as a beat reporter nailing pertinent information before anyone else does about the inner office machinations, and who's being hired/fired, interviewed etc.

Also speculation obviously, but if the Texans ever actually decide to engage in trade talks with Joe, I would be very surprised if at the very least Caserio (or who's ever in charge over there) didn't at least bring Q up.

You aren't a beat writer with supposed inside knowledge.  Yet you are about as reliable so far on the Watson situation.

When this all started, did anyone really think it would get this bad?  25 year old franchise quarterbacks do not get moved. As we sit here today I still think it's more likely he doesn't get traded then does.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3189 on: March 03, 2021, 12:09:04 PM »
Manish has more inside information than this clown

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3190 on: March 03, 2021, 12:09:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/mcclain_on_nfl/status/1347273808198201359?lang=en

Everything he has done so far is basically parrot Texans talking points.

At first, he said the Texans would never trade Watson, and even made that smug tweet talking about how he'll never be traded.

After that, it was "Yeah, maybe the Jets could give up four firsts, maybe Quinnen and Darnold, too, why not"

What exactly has he been dead on accurate about?

I agree our beat is a mess, but that doesn't mean McClain is some amazing beat writer. He's their version of Cimini. Not the same personality, since Cimini is more jaded and negative, but in terms of being respected older guys on the beat. He's good. I respect him, too, but I don't love how he's been reporting around this Watson stuff.

He's allowed to change his posture, but I don't see how you can say in one breath that he's been dead on accurate, and then in the next, you say that he's changing his mind. It doesn't matter what you think about trading Watson - you're not the beat writer speaking in absolutes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:13:40 PM by Derek Smalls »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3191 on: March 03, 2021, 12:13:20 PM »

When this all started, did anyone really think it would get this bad?  25 year old franchise quarterbacks do not get moved. As we sit here today I still think it's more likely he doesn't get traded then does.

Okay, I'd like to hold a beat writer to a higher standard than a random fan of another team. Especially when there was a lot of smoke that it was getting pretty bad.

The side that had a vested interest in saying that it's not so bad is the Texans side, which has been the side McClain has clearly been reporting from this entire time.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3192 on: March 03, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/mcclain_on_nfl/status/1347273808198201359?lang=en

Everything he has done so far is basically parrot Texans talking points.

At first, he said the Texans would never trade Watson, and even made that smug tweet talking about how he'll never be traded.

After that, it was "Yeah, maybe the Jets could give up four firsts, maybe Quinnen and Darnold, too, why not"

What exactly has he been dead on accurate about? I agree our beat is a mess, but that doesn't mean McClain is some amazing beat writer. He's their version of Cimini. Not the same personality, since Cimini is more jaded and negative, but in terms of being respected older guys on the beat. He's good. I respect him, too, but I don't love how he's been reporting around this Watson stuff.

He's allowed to change his posture, but I don't see how you can say in one breath that he's been dead on accurate, and then in the next, you say that he's changing his mind. It doesn't matter what you think about trading Watson - you're not the beat writer speaking in absolutes.

How has he been "parroting Texans talking points." By saying that the Texans shouldn't trade Watson? If he was parroting their talking points he wouldn't be out there basically saying "you know there's really only one team that has the resources for the Texans to get a little more then 75 cents on the dollar and even then they have a GM that might not pay the price."

Scoffing at the notion of trading Deshaun back in January before this entered an apparent point of no return in terms of Watson not getting his coach, (and before James Hardon successfully forced his way out of the same town) might be a cold take at this point, but its hardly doing anything but stating the obvious. This is ridiculously dumb and only happening because the Texans have been lurched into the abyss by an 18 month stretch of literally making the wrong decision at every single opportunity.

Competent or even functional organizations do not trade Deshaun Watson at this point in his career.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3193 on: March 03, 2021, 12:33:56 PM »
JD says phones available  for Sam officially . Adams mode

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3194 on: March 03, 2021, 12:49:39 PM »
JD says phones available  for Sam officially . Adams mode

To be fair Adams 100% forced himself off the team

And this quote from JD is getting twisted and exaggerated

“I will answer the call if it’s made,”

Sure it's a huge difference from what he said last year

But it's also a huge difference from, we're actively shopping Sam too.  It's one of those vague statements that's carefully worded