Author Topic: Sam "the nice one" Darnold  (Read 261490 times)

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Sam "the nice one" Darnold
« Reply #3045 on: January 20, 2021, 08:07:18 AM »
My wife used to call Darnold my boyfriend.  Lol then she caught me cheating with Zach Wilson and DeShaun Watson

I think Sam migjt be able to be salvaged

Just don't think it's the move I'd want to make if my job depended on it

You can see a blue chip QB his rookie year.

You can see a broken kid who can barely see the field now

Again.  I wouldn't be shocked if he turned himself around.  I do believe it best serves both parties if he gets a fresh start elsewhere

All.that being said , if the staff thinks he can do it . If we can fix the OL and get some weapons.

Im.mot gonna riot if they give Sam 1 last chance

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3046 on: January 20, 2021, 08:32:59 AM »
Odd comparison here, but think about Darnold vs Josh Allen.  Allen came in to the league as an inaccurate passer trying to make cowboy throws.  He was fixed with good coaching and surrounding him with talent.  Can the same happen with Darnold?  The main difference is that Allen never had the experience of being frightened in the pocket on a weekly basis.  Darnold seems like a pretty tough person mentally.  Assuming he has good offensive coaching from here out (big assumption), can he erase the past and learn to make less boneheaded throws?  Gotta have protection, good coaching, and weapons.  Anybody's guess, but I think it's possible and certainly worth the effort if/when Watson falls through.  We all had a boner when we drafted Darnold for a reason. 

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #3047 on: January 20, 2021, 09:50:56 AM »
i think the difference between us vs other people around the league who get paid a ton of money to do these jobs is that we've been seeing him/following him on a day in day out basis for the past 3 years and see the extreme deficiencies that have developed in his game that may not be fixable/coachable after the carnage sam has seen done to his career the last 2 seasons

people around the league will no doubt get clips/data/reports about some of these deficiencies but i think their view of darnold's 'big picture' will be marred by them:

1 - harkening back to the fact that he was the 3rd overall pick and arguably the best qb prospect of the 2018 draft

2 - thinking of the incompetency of the jet FO in the development of any player in general

3 - possessing a certain level of arrogance, as a result of their positions and of #2, in thinking that they have the ability to fix him and that the jets are just a mess (which i don't disagree with)

stuff like this is why darnold may possibly be seen as an asset of value to other teams

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3048 on: January 20, 2021, 09:57:03 AM »
So it's your theory that a bunch of people getting paid huge amounts of money a year to be experts on every single player in the league, with entire staffs dedicated to studying those players, their performance, their techniques and their strengths and weaknesses, and with relationships throughout the game with peers who can and do tell them things about players' personalities and tendencies that can only be observed through locker room and practice field interactions, know less than a bunch of schlubs who sit on their sofa every Sunday wearing pajama pants and drinking beer watching the games?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #3049 on: January 20, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
So it's your theory that a bunch of people getting paid huge amounts of money a year to be experts on every single player in the league, with entire staffs dedicated to studying those players, their performance, their techniques and their strengths and weaknesses, and with relationships throughout the game with peers who can and do tell them things about players' personalities and tendencies that can only be observed through locker room and practice field interactions, know less than a bunch of schlubs who sit on their sofa every Sunday wearing pajama pants and drinking beer watching the games?

that's not what i said. cmon now. i said they'd have the information as to what his downsides are/have been but then stated points as to why i think they'd still think he is somebody that is a feasible reclamation project beyond the huge deficiencies and downtrend he's shown on tape.

i don't agree with thinking he is reclaimable at this point, but i'd love to be proven wrong. i just don't feel comfortable with the jets taking a risk on a hypothetical imaginary jump to a fugazi 'league average sam darnold' when everything he's shown us on the field points otherwise. like you said i'm not paid to make these decisions and others are, but even those people, despite everything they have at their disposal to make such decisions, make errors in judgment every single day

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #3050 on: January 20, 2021, 11:28:42 AM »
All Joe Douglas has to do is neg other teams about their coaching ability.

"Yeah, I guess you probably wouldn't want Darnold, he needs a more talented coaching staff than yours to fix his issues."

Reverse psychology their asses.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3051 on: January 20, 2021, 02:14:27 PM »
All Joe Douglas has to do is neg other teams about their coaching ability.

"Yeah, I guess you probably wouldn't want Darnold, he needs a more talented coaching staff than yours to fix his issues."

Reverse psychology their asses.

“Darnold probably isn’t a fit for you guys, he needs a #1 receiver and all you have is Michael Thomas”
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3052 on: January 20, 2021, 03:08:53 PM »
"I mean, Belichick is probably the only coach good enough to get him to succeed."

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3053 on: January 20, 2021, 06:15:24 PM »
i think the difference between us vs other people around the league who get paid a ton of money to do these jobs is that we've been seeing him/following him on a day in day out basis for the past 3 years and see the extreme deficiencies that have developed in his game that may not be fixable/coachable after the carnage sam has seen done to his career the last 2 seasons

people around the league will no doubt get clips/data/reports about some of these deficiencies but i think their view of darnold's 'big picture' will be marred by them:

1 - harkening back to the fact that he was the 3rd overall pick and arguably the best qb prospect of the 2018 draft

2 - thinking of the incompetency of the jet FO in the development of any player in general

3 - possessing a certain level of arrogance, as a result of their positions and of #2, in thinking that they have the ability to fix him and that the jets are just a mess (which i don't disagree with)

stuff like this is why darnold may possibly be seen as an asset of value to other teams

Even if this was true, it discounts the fact that the biggest decision maker on this team plus presumably his closes confidants have been a part of this organization for approaching two years now.

Meaning whatever fans hear and see, will pale greatly to the talent evaluators getting paid millions to evaluate players and personnel

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3054 on: February 01, 2021, 09:49:47 AM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3055 on: February 01, 2021, 09:51:08 AM »
Lol I went to go read the article to see if they mention the “source” and the tweet just links to the App Store to download his dumbass garbage App

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #3056 on: February 01, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »
Lol I went to go read the article to see if they mention the “source” and the tweet just links to the App Store to download his dumbass garbage App

You weren't missing much.

According to a source the phone has been ringing at One Jets Drive regarding QB Sam Darnold and the Jets have been listening.

We knew teams would have interest but it’s the first time we can confirm that the Jets have received calls.

We weren’t told how far along talks have gone or if offers were made but the Jets have been listening on all inquiries.

With the note from Albert Breer of the Jets inquiring with the Lions about Matt Stafford and the news of the Jets taking calls on Darnold, it’s safe to say the Jets will be very active in the QB market this offseason.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3057 on: February 01, 2021, 10:28:53 AM »
Anything on Darnold is worthless.

At most the Jets are gaging Darnolds value if we land Watson. If we don't, there's a fairly high probability he's back. And unless teams are making insane offers with multiple first round picks for Darnold, the Jets aren't trading him without having another QB on the roster.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #3058 on: February 01, 2021, 10:33:14 AM »
Anything on Darnold is worthless.

At most the Jets are gaging Darnolds value if we land Watson. If we don't, there's a fairly high probability he's back. And unless teams are making insane offers with multiple first round picks for Darnold, the Jets aren't trading him without having another QB on the roster.

Not necessarily true. The Jets have the #2 pick, so we're guaranteed to be able to have a QB to start the season.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3059 on: February 01, 2021, 12:00:41 PM »
Not necessarily true. The Jets have the #2 pick, so we're guaranteed to be able to have a QB to start the season.
This .

We can simply take a QB at 2 or trade down and select someone who falls

We can ship out Darnold regardless . It's whether they feel.theyre getting proper compensation or how sold they are with this year's class

Also, someone previously mentioned,  trying to measure how much you can offset a Watson trade beforehand  if you've already discussed price with HOU in private

Were at crossroads and I'm not opposed to any path

My only please don't do it is Justin Fields