Author Topic: Unitarian Universalist Church of Leonard Williams  (Read 24206 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Unitarian Universalist Church of Leonard Williams
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2019, 07:26:06 PM »
Skimmed the article; nothing revelatory or opinion-changing for me.
I've said before, it'd be silly to trade LWilliams for anything other than a high 1st rounder. He's "disappointed" for anyone expecting him to be a one-man defense with 15 sacks a year on a defense that rarely puts him in a position to get big statistical numbers.

In a Gregg Williams 4-3 (and hopefully surrounded by improved talent...with a hopefully improved offense that doesn't hinder the D with constant 3-and-outs) we can really get a sense of Leonard's ability. He's still very young and very talented. His biggest downside so far has been "not being Aaron Donald in a half-assed 3-4".

It would be disappointing to trade him for less than a high first rounder. But the reality is he's on the final deal of his rookie deal. Unless we think he's going to be worth franchise tagging after this season (hopefully because he would benefit tremendously from a change in scheme), then you absolutely have to consider trading him for a mid to late first, or some kind of mixed trade (ie a 2nd and 3rd for Leonard's and a 5th or something)

And quite frankly there's almost no way whatsoever we're trading Williams for a top 15 pick because nobody is giving it to us and if he was worth that we wouldn't be having this conversation about trading him

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2019, 08:55:59 PM »
I would take a 2nd-rounder for Williams. I would not take a 3rd-rounder.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2019, 12:07:37 PM »
Costello on Leonard:
https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/jets-have-an-important-leonard-williams-call-to-make/

"My gut feeling is the Jets will end up signing Williams unless his demands are outrageous. He is a good enough player that he can be a core member of this defense for years to come. Williams has also been a good citizen as a Jet and is popular with his teammates. Those are the kind of players you build around."

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »
Costello on Leonard:
https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/jets-have-an-important-leonard-williams-call-to-make/

"My gut feeling is the Jets will end up signing Williams unless his demands are outrageous. He is a good enough player that he can be a core member of this defense for years to come. Williams has also been a good citizen as a Jet and is popular with his teammates. Those are the kind of players you build around."

Big Cat lifting all 235 lbs of Darron Lee by his armpits and carrying him away from a girl he was trying to impose himself upon was his finest moment to date.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2019, 08:20:27 PM »
I’m not sure what we could get for him, but Leonard Williams needs to be traded by the deadline

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2019, 08:54:07 PM »
I’m not sure what we could get for him, but Leonard Williams needs to be traded by the deadline

I think it depends on the perception of him around the league and what we expect he will sign for. If we think he will command a good sized deal, I can’t see anyone trading a 3rd for him, but we could get a 3rd round comp pick by letting him walk. If we think his future deal is smaller then we may be better off moving him by the deadline to get something solid for him now and then we won’t have to worry about negating his comp pick if we sign some other HOFer priced FA
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2019, 09:07:19 PM »
I'm bored of signing "OMIGOD I CAN'T BELIEVE HE FELL TO US" defensive linemen, ruining them and then trading them away for a pittance or letting them walk. Maybe let's try actually freaking coaching them properly?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2019, 09:10:50 PM »
I'm bored of signing "OMIGOD I CAN'T BELIEVE HE FELL TO US" defensive linemen, ruining them and then trading them away for a pittance or letting them walk. Maybe let's try actually freaking coaching them properly?

We could start by running a defense with actual Edge rushers. Haven’t seen one of those since Abraham

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2019, 09:10:56 PM »

I agree, but I don't see any way we resign Leo, even if he would sign for the same amount as Henry Anderson just did.

Also how freaking bad does that deal look right now? He hasn't done anything big yet either, and he's quite overpaid for his production so far.
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2019, 09:30:00 PM »
I'm not saying it's all this. But having a revolving door at HC and GM is going to kill any team with successfully drafting/retaining/developing the right players. How many freaking times can you change schemes, then have guys who are suboptimal fits under contract or having guys relearning things. And while it's too early to predict Gases future, it's hard to imagine him getting a contract extension so far

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2019, 10:47:40 PM »
I'm not saying it's all this. But having a revolving door at HC and GM is going to kill any team with successfully drafting/retaining/developing the right players. How many freaking times can you change schemes, then have guys who are suboptimal fits under contract or having guys relearning things. And while it's too early to predict Gases future, it's hard to imagine him getting a contract extension so far

But do you think we should extend Fitzpatrick

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »
[Schefter] Sources: Multiple teams have called the Jets to inquire about the availability of DE Leonard Williams.

Pull the trigger, Doug. 

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »
Pull the trigger, Doug.
Replaceable.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
If we are going to trade Leonard, it was nice to see him show up on the stat sheet a couple times yesterday. It would be a pretty good game to trade him off of.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2019, 01:20:08 PM »
I grow more convinced every day he's going to be traded.

And I think we're going to live to regret it.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: