Poll

Which QB will the Jets end up taking in the draft this year, whatever pick it is or how it happens?

Sam Darnold
7 (30.4%)
Josh Rosen
12 (52.2%)
Baker Mayfield
3 (13%)
Josh Allen
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: April 27, 2018, 03:44:50 PM

Author Topic: Which QB do the Jets draft?  (Read 34287 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Which QB do the Jets draft?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
This will be the first QB Bates has a say in.  Duff would be a fool not to go with the guy Bates wants.  I'll trust that.  I don't know if I'd trust Duff to get it right on his own.  I trust Bates.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:56:16 PM by bojanglesman »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2018, 12:56:17 PM »
I totally get the logic and don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

If Darnold and Rosen go 1-2, how confident are you that Mayfield is the pick over Allen? At this point in the process, I can’t say I’m any more confident than 50-50.  It doesn’t help that just about every piece of news we hear from now to the draft will be misleading, made-up garbage rumors.

Not confident at all. It is quite possible that Allen is Maccagnan's third choice and that we'll end up with him, and if we do then I won't have too much trouble convincing myself that it's going to work out fine. After all I thought that Mark Sanchez had the makings of a franchise passer, that Carson Wentz was going to be a flop and that Hackenberg could turn into a gem (I'm still not convinced that's wrong, BTW), so it's not like I should be putting any faith into my ability to judge QBs.

Still, I don't think Allen is anyone's number one pick.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
That is basically the crux of our draft dilemma.

I really wish i didn't know that Duff spent significant time scouting Allen during the season last fall.

But the team also spent the most time with Baker Mayfield out of any team, and any prospect. I also think its worth noting that the Broncos were reportedly very interested in Mayfield, and I'm sure the Jets felt threatened by them.

I personally don't see why a team would meet with a player 4 times, more than of the other QBs in this class combined, and then not be at all interested in him when they actually trade up. They also traded up after his pro-day, and before Allen's.

Everyone was deadset on Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield being the Jets top 3 QBs until Cimini "reported" that it was Allen instead of Mayfield.... but do we really believe that such a significant piece of information was leaked by a regime that has been extremely tight-lipped. The trade with the Colts wasn't even leaked as a possibility until it actually happened. Now, 6 weeks before the draft, they divulge their top 3 QBs? Eh.

I also think that because this is the Jets, we all assume the worst, and therefore talk ourselves into Allen being their guy simply because we are used to failure.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »
But the team also spent the most time with Baker Mayfield out of any team, and any prospect. I also think its worth noting that the Broncos were reportedly very interested in Mayfield, and I'm sure the Jets felt threatened by them.

I personally don't see why a team would meet with a player 4 times, more than of the other QBs in this class combined, and then not be at all interested in him when they actually trade up. They also traded up after his pro-day, and before Allen's.

Everyone was deadset on Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield being the Jets top 3 QBs until Cimini "reported" that it was Allen instead of Mayfield.... but do we really believe that such a significant piece of information was leaked by a regime that has been extremely tight-lipped. The trade with the Colts wasn't even leaked as a possibility until it actually happened. Now, 6 weeks before the draft, they divulge their top 3 QBs? Eh.

I also think that because this is the Jets, we all assume the worst, and therefore talk ourselves into Allen being their guy simply because we are used to failure.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/931206641860665345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-38537399983030747227.ampproject.net%2F1520462477230%2Fframe.html

Just heard from a league source that the New York #Jets love Josh Allen. Wyoming source told me they've done the most work on him.
Nov 16, 2017

Just one source, but the rumors that Duff likes Allen have been circulating since last fall.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/931206641860665345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-38537399983030747227.ampproject.net%2F1520462477230%2Fframe.html
Nov 16, 2017

Just one source, but the rumors that Duff likes Allen have been circulating since last fall.

the threat is real...smokescreens yada yada yada and everything in between.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »
Nov 16, 2017

Yeah I definitely remember those rumors from the fall... But gathering info and watching games is due diligence, not necessarily real interest in drafting him. Things also change between the fall, and now. Everyone was intrigued by Josh Allen at the start of last year, and Mayfield was a mid-round pick. I'm skeptical of their interest in Allen for now. Everything the past couple of months haven't indicated they view Allen over Mayfield.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »
Yeah I definitely remember those rumors from the fall... But gathering info and watching games is due diligence, not necessarily real interest in drafting him. Things also change between the fall, and now. Everyone was intrigued by Josh Allen at the start of last year, and Mayfield was a mid-round pick. I'm skeptical of their interest in Allen for now. Everything the past couple of months haven't indicated they view Allen over Mayfield.

Yeah cuz it’s a smokescreen
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Yeah cuz it’s a smokescreen

I'm used to dealing with smokescreens in April.  I hate that it's only March 19th.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »
with all the noise about how bates wants to have that run heavy zone blocking shannahan type offense, is it that inconceivable for him to be interested in josh allen throwing million yard passes on play action in a few years when they're able to build the kind of offensive line they want?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
with all the noise about how bates wants to have that run heavy zone blocking shannahan type offense, is it that inconceivable for him to be interested in josh allen throwing million yard passes on play action in a few years when they're able to build the kind of offensive line they want?

I would say Bates' system would put a high watermark on accuracy as opposed to the deep ball....which gives me a little hope that all the interest in Allen is indeed a smokescreen.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
I would say Bates' system would put a high watermark on accuracy as opposed to the deep ball....which gives me a little hope that all the interest in Allen is indeed a smokescreen.

The only relatively feasible way the interest in Allen is a smokescreen, is if we have Mayfield rated as the 3rd best QB and worthy of the 6th pick and 3 2nd rounders.

But if that were the case, why feign interest in Allen at all? When there's no way Mayfield is going in the top 2.

I think the most likely scenario is the Jets like Allen. And this has nothing to do with rumors and sources, just basic deductive reasoning based on what the Jets traded to move up to the 3rd pick.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
The only relatively feasible way the interest in Allen is a smokescreen, is if we have Mayfield rated as the 3rd best QB and worthy of the 6th pick and 3 2nd rounders.

But if that were the case, why feign interest in Allen at all? When there's no way Mayfield is going in the top 2.

I think the most likely scenario is the Jets like Allen. And this has nothing to do with rumors and sources, just basic deductive reasoning based on what the Jets traded to move up to the 3rd pick.

I said it once, i'll say it again.  If we traded up for Allen, Duff should be thrown off the nearest bridge.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »

Because like I said - if the Broncos or Bills want Mayfield, and they think that we're taking Allen, the highest they have to get for him is #4. They might very well prefer Darnold or Rosen, but don't consider the extra cost of getting to #2 to be worth paying versus getting to #4 or in Denver's case sitting pat at #5 and taking Mayfield.

They might not bite. They probably wouldn't. But it does absolutely no harm to try, because if they do and then one of Cleveland and the Giants doesn't take a QB we're laughing. We do not want someone to trade up in front of us because that guarantees that two QBs are going ahead of us.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2018, 03:45:37 PM »

I mean people love to say the phrase west coast offense, but it sounds like they're interested in the whole ground and pound thing more than anything.

just saying, if that's the kind of offense he wants it's not inconceivable for them to take a risk on allen, if he's a one trick pony they can make good use of that trick

I want Rosen like everyone else in the world

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »
I said it once, i'll say it again.  If we traded up for Allen, Duff should be thrown off the nearest bridge.

Well it doesn't mean that we traded up for Allen, as there's a completely viable possibility that we get Rosen (and an outside chance at Darnold)

But I think it's a near certainty that we traded up being content with the possibility of getting Josh Allen for the 6th pick and 3 2nds. Unless we're enamored with Mayfield, which makes things make a lot less sense