Poll

Which QB will the Jets end up taking in the draft this year, whatever pick it is or how it happens?

Sam Darnold
7 (30.4%)
Josh Rosen
12 (52.2%)
Baker Mayfield
3 (13%)
Josh Allen
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: April 27, 2018, 03:44:50 PM

Author Topic: Which QB do the Jets draft?  (Read 34257 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Which QB do the Jets draft?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:21 AM »
For the millonth time, I think that the Allen thing is a smokescreen. Now that we've traded up to #3, if the Bills think that either us or Cleveland are high on Allen then they might focus more on trading up to #4 than #2 - it will cost them less and the Browns might be more inclined to trade #4 than the Giants are #2.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 10:58:28 AM »
For the millonth time, I think that the Allen thing is a smokescreen. Now that we've traded up to #3, if the Bills think that either us or Cleveland are high on Allen then they might focus more on trading up to #4 than #2 - it will cost them less and the Browns might be more inclined to trade #4 than the Giants are #2.

it's not a smokescreen if Darnold/Rosen go 1 and 2.  Which is very likely.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »

Yeah it really doesn't make sense that it's a smokescreen. The only way you give up 3 2nd round picks is if you like all 3 QB's, or 2 QB's and a franchise altering player. Unless were smitten with Barkley or Mayfield or something, you have to think the Jets are extremely high on Allen

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
I don't know what Duff has in his head.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
I don't know what Duff has in his head.

coffee
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 11:11:38 AM »
Best case scenario: Browns take Allen. Giants take Barkley.

What should the Jets do?

I'd say Maccagnan should push people out of the way and run towards the podium to select Darnold.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
Best case scenario: Browns take Allen. Giants take Barkley.

What should the Jets do?

I'd say Maccagnan should push people out of the way and run towards the podium to select Darnold.

You described the scenario if the football gods favored us.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »

So the smokescreen is the Jets like Mayfield and not Allen? Because none of this makes sense if they don’t like 3 QBs
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »
We really need Gettleman to fall in love with Barkley or Nelson.  That's the only way we'll land Darnold or Rosen, barring another trade up (which i'm opposed to).

Any hype for Josh Allen has to be a smokescreen. I can't see Buffalo or any team wanting to trade up to #2 or #1 for Josh Allen.

EDIT:  if Allen was Duff's target all along and we traded up to get him, his house should be burned to the ground.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 11:40:12 AM »
But it’s soooooo much better doing this than if the Bills had made the move to 3 yesterday. We would be on the outside looking in and have no reasonable way to get a guy other than going to 2, and that would have cost us what we paid and then the 2019 first round pick as well.

This. I don't know which guy is best or which guy we want, but it's obvious they knew they weren't getting him at #6. The question is do they get him at #3, but the move had to be made and we didn't give up a future #1.

Also, I didn't answer the poll because polls are gay.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:41:48 AM by Italian Seafood »
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »
First of all, i rarely post and i know that, but this place is great and is an oasis among typical Jet fan/football fan/ human beings in general forums.

I’m in the camp that thinks that Darnold, Rosen, Allen are Duff’s targets. I wouldnt mind Mayfield, of course, but teams normally don’t trade into the top 3 for a 6’ qb.
Allen’s inaccuracy is an obvious reddest of red flags, but he legitimately has uncommon upside and seems like a pretty awesome, coaxhable kid.

To be clear, i will be disappointed if we don’t get Darnold or Rosen, who are blue-chip elite prospects imo, and better than any qb prospects in the past couple of drafts.
My gut is that Allen goes number one (50/50 chance at least, with Darnold the other option).
So i voted Rosen.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
So the smokescreen is the Jets like Mayfield and not Allen? Because none of this makes sense if they don’t like 3 QBs

Right, but let's say the thinking is this:

- We'd love to have Darnold or Rosen
- We'd be happy to take Mayfield

If you're not the Giants or Browns, and you want a QB, you're hoping that someone is going to fall to you. If you want that to happen, you need to make the other teams wanting QBs think that you're in love with someone they don't want, thus you need to sow a narrative.

If you're Dorsey and you want Barkley plus a QB, you tell everyone you love Allen. That means that if you're Denver you can assume that Mayfield is falling to 5, and you think twice about giving up a bunch of stuff to get to 2 or 3.

If you're Maccagnan and you want Darnold or Rosen, you need the Browns and Giants to stand pat and keep your fingers crossed that one of them doesn't take a QB (because obviously anyone trading up into their spots would be doing so for Darnold or Rosen). So you make everyone think that Allen's your guy, because then if I'm Denver or Buffalo I might think that #4 is going to have Mayfield available and again, I don't have to offer a king's ransom to get to #1 or #2.

I just don't buy that so many teams are in love with Allen when there are so many reasons not to be. Someone may prove me a fool on draft day, but I'm convinced that he's the guy everyone's talking about and no one really wants.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 12:41:44 PM »
Right, but let's say the thinking is this:

- We'd love to have Darnold or Rosen
- We'd be happy to take Mayfield

If you're not the Giants or Browns, and you want a QB, you're hoping that someone is going to fall to you. If you want that to happen, you need to make the other teams wanting QBs think that you're in love with someone they don't want, thus you need to sow a narrative.

If you're Dorsey and you want Barkley plus a QB, you tell everyone you love Allen. That means that if you're Denver you can assume that Mayfield is falling to 5, and you think twice about giving up a bunch of stuff to get to 2 or 3.

If you're Maccagnan and you want Darnold or Rosen, you need the Browns and Giants to stand pat and keep your fingers crossed that one of them doesn't take a QB (because obviously anyone trading up into their spots would be doing so for Darnold or Rosen). So you make everyone think that Allen's your guy, because then if I'm Denver or Buffalo I might think that #4 is going to have Mayfield available and again, I don't have to offer a king's ransom to get to #1 or #2.

I just don't buy that so many teams are in love with Allen when there are so many reasons not to be. Someone may prove me a fool on draft day, but I'm convinced that he's the guy everyone's talking about and no one really wants.

I totally get the logic and don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

If Darnold and Rosen go 1-2, how confident are you that Mayfield is the pick over Allen? At this point in the process, I can’t say I’m any more confident than 50-50.  It doesn’t help that just about every piece of news we hear from now to the draft will be misleading, made-up garbage rumors.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
I totally get the logic and don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

If Darnold and Rosen go 1-2, how confident are you that Mayfield is the pick over Allen? At this point in the process, I can’t say I’m any more confident than 50-50.  It doesn’t help that just about every piece of news we hear from now to the draft will be misleading, made-up garbage rumors.

That is basically the crux of our draft dilemma.

I really wish i didn't know that Duff spent significant time scouting Allen during the season last fall.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »
That is basically the crux of our draft dilemma.

I really wish i didn't know that Duff spent significant time scouting Allen during the season last fall.

That doesn't necessarily mean he wants him, it means he wanted to know as much about him as possible. The other guys were on national TV every week.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.