Author Topic: Offensive Progression  (Read 20813 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Offensive Progression
« on: December 29, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
I was waiting to see how the final game played out before bringing up my thoughts on the future at quarterback for the New York Jets.

It took about fifteen or so weeks, but we finally saw some progression at the most important position.  Pocket presence, ball security, accuracy...all so much better during the last quarter of the season. 

It may come as a shock to almost everyone here, but I think we have to stick with Geno Smith in 2014. 

..but not without a legitimate competition from a worthy veteran and a mid-round rookie.  It cannot be given to him after such an inconsistent season, even after the strong finish. 

When I say worthy veteran, I mean someone that can come in and actually play.  Not some mentor type like David Garrard or Mark Brunell.  The front office needs to target veterans with short-to-medium term starting ability. 

They also need to continue to draft QBs until someone solidifies himself in that spot.  We don't have that yet.  This team has played itself out of a shot at a top QB prospect.  And the franchise would risk a crippling a rebuild if we gave up multiple high picks to trade up for one.  Instead, the Jets need to find some talent at the position in the middle-to-later rounds.

With all of that said, we should not build around Geno Smith.  But the offense should definitely be the focal point of the offense. 
Wideouts, offensive linemen, and tight ends need to be upgraded through the draft and free agency.  These pieces need to be added to the puzzle.

And if Smith stays at this level or regresses, the pieces will still be there for whoever the next NYJ QB will be.  Keep building it up, and success will come. 

This is an incredible draft for teams that need wide receivers.  We're in a good spot moving forward. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Offensive Progression
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »

I still wouldn't scoff at a blue-chip QB prospect falling into the Jets' lap in the 1st round.

If they go WR, TE or OL....i'm cool with that approach too.  I'm just not ready to annoint Geno yet. 

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »
I still wouldn't scoff at a blue-chip QB prospect falling into the Jets' lap in the 1st round.

Barring some stock plummeting, Bridgewater/Carr/Bortles/Manziel will probably be off the board before we pick.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
I completely agree.

And unlike with Sanchez, Idzik will need to be able to evaluate Geno independent of team success.

There are big benefits of having Geno starting - paying our starting QB second round money means we have a lot of room to upgrade the team.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »
Barring some stock plummeting, Bridgewater/Carr/Bortles/Manziel will probably be off the board before we pick.

If we are planning to stick with Geno, that could be a good thing- just a better prospect to fall to our pick.

Evans, Adams, Watkins (although we played ourselves out of him today), Ebron or Amaro in the 1st and Ill be very happy. Then follow up in the 2nd with another WR/TE.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »
Evans, Adams, Watkins (although we played ourselves out of him today), Ebron or Amaro in the 1st and Ill be very happy. Then follow up in the 2nd with another WR/TE.

Back to back passing game weapons is the way we need to go. 

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »
Back to back passing game weapons is the way we need to go.

Without a doubt. I have no problem with keeping Rex as long as we have the mentality to rebuild the O. His defense will have to take a backseat for this offseason. Its probably one of the more important offseasons for the franchise in recent years.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »
100% agree with everything.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
I always thought it was crazy to see people that seemed to honestly think we would get rid of Smith.  Moving on from him as the guy is one thing, but taking him off the roster is something totally different.

I agree with all you said, with the add-in that if there is a guy they like in Rd 1 and are within a few picks (say we're at 17, and can go to 11 or 12), then they should make the move.  I don't believe that they will, but they should.  If that doesn't go, then absolutely bring in a Vet who can start and a mid rounder who can mentally handle the gig.  Get guys that can play in here to create some energy at the position.  I want there to be a feeling of solidity at QB that we haven't been close to recently.

The further in we go, the more I like the idea of adding AJ McCarron, because I think that he can handle the mental side of the game and push Geno that way. 

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »
We've seen some real progression out of Geno the past month. I for one am very interested to see what an entire off-season can do for him.

Bring in a veteran backup that can push him (Campbell? Schaub?), and use a mid round pick at the position. Let the chips fall where they may. The whole focus on the first two or three rounds of the draft has to be the offense. I want to come out of this draft with a receiver, tight end and interior lineman.

If this team is able to come out of the first two rounds with a Mike Evans-ASJ combo, THAT is a major step towards tooling up your offense.

I know this is a defensive point so it probably belongs in another thread, but with the money we have coming off the cap I'd really like to see them go after Jairus Byrd or TJ Ward.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »
If this team is able to come out of the first two rounds with a Mike Evans-ASJ combo, THAT is a major step towards tooling up your offense.

Unless he gets in trouble again, I'm writing off Sammy Watkins as an option for the Jets.

I'd like to see the Jets come away with one or more of these players (in order):

Davante Adams
Mike Evans
Jordan Matthews
Brandin Cooks
Marqise Lee
Odell Beckham Jr.
Robert Herron
Jalen Saunders

I have Cooks and Lee ranked ahead of Matthews as prospects, but I feel like Matthews would be more valuable to this franchise because he's incredibly reliable.  This team needs another workmanlike wideout in the mold of Jerricho Cotchery.

Guys like Saunders and Cooks are a couple of pain in the asses to defend.  Undersized, but you can line them up all over the field and they just get open.   

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
this thread is a betrayal

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
I always thought it was crazy to see people that seemed to honestly think we would get rid of Smith.  Moving on from him as the guy is one thing, but taking him off the roster is something totally different.

I agree with all you said, with the add-in that if there is a guy they like in Rd 1 and are within a few picks (say we're at 17, and can go to 11 or 12), then they should make the move.  I don't believe that they will, but they should.  If that doesn't go, then absolutely bring in a Vet who can start and a mid rounder who can mentally handle the gig.  Get guys that can play in here to create some energy at the position.  I want there to be a feeling of solidity at QB that we haven't been close to recently.

The further in we go, the more I like the idea of adding AJ McCarron, because I think that he can handle the mental side of the game and push Geno that way. 

depending on the round, McCarron would be a great pick
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 06:24:09 PM »
depending on the round, McCarron would be a great pick

If he makes it out of the first, he should be considered.