Author Topic: Josh Allen Hype Train  (Read 30183 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Josh Allen Hype Train
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »
Josh Allen thinks better footwork will lead to better accuracy

During an appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt, Allen said he’s been working with trainer and former NFL quarterback Jordan Palmer to improve in that area.

“I think that any time I would miss in college, it was largely due to my feet,” Allen said. “In getting with Jordan, I’ve been trying to correct my feet through every throw and make sure that I was sequencing consistently. Once my feet started to clean up, that’s when you started seeing the ball placed in the right positions.”

Allen said his schedule is “jam-packed” with meetings with teams that could consider drafting him next month. Giving them a reason to think his accuracy will rise in the NFL would help cement his spot at the top of the first round.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:29 AM »
^ I'm reluctantly trying to get on board the Allen hype train.  It may take some time.  May never happen, but if he becomes a Jet I'll be forced to hope for the best.  At least he seems like a good dude.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:03:18 AM »
^ I'm reluctantly trying to get on board the Allen hype train.  It may take some time.  May never happen, but if he becomes a Jet I'll be forced to hope for the best.  At least he seems like a good dude.

You have misinterpreted the purpose of this hype train.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
Leave bo alone, he's too impressionable for this level of irony.

But seriously Josh Allen sounds great, he should not be allowed to fall to the 3rd pick.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »

I'm sorry, I was Josh Allen's elite arm strength confused my brain.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »
Since the trade, I've been watching a lot more of Josh Allen and I will say this about him:

Allen isn't shellshocked like Christian Hackenberg and he isn't a limited system QB like Geno Smith. 

I worry about Baker Mayfield's physical limitations and the system that he's coming from.  I love his personality and his playmaking ability, but I've said several times already that I don't see him as a blue chip type of prospect because of these things.

Allen has elite traits.  The boxes are checked for size, athleticism, and arm strength.  But I don't know how smart he is as a football player and there's some glaring mechanical issues that lead to the poor accuracy. 

If we take him over Sam Darnold, I'll be done with Mike Maccagnan.  If we take him over Baker Mayfield, I completely understand. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:27:36 AM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »

Just watch the 2nd half of the senior bowl on repeat.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
Since the trade, I've been watching a lot more of Josh Allen and I will say this about him:

Allen isn't shellshocked like Christian Hackenberg and he isn't a limited system QB like Geno Smith. 

I worry about Baker Mayfield's physical limitations and the system that he's coming from.  I love his personality and his playmaking ability, but I've said several times already that I don't see him as a blue chip type of prospect because of these things.

Allen has elite traits.  The boxes are checked for size, athleticism, and arm strength.  But I don't know how smart he is as a football player and there's some glaring mechanical issues that lead to the poor accuracy. 

If we take him over Sam Darnold, I'll be done with Mike Maccagnan.  If we take him over Baker Mayfield, I completely understand.

This is my mindset, as well.

If Darnold and/or Rosen fall to 3, then shred an ACL running to turn the pick in.
Passing on one to pick Allen and I'm not happy.

I've said before, though, IF Darnold/Rosen (my 2 "yes-homo" man crushes) are gone and the team bets on the elite physical skills of Allen rather than the "meh", 6' frame of Mayfield, and I'll understand.
FFS, Allen is not 2nd rounder Hack as a prospect. He's closer to a less-accurate Wentz or a coachable, non-sizzurp-and-donut-addicted, more mobile Jamarcus (again strictly looking at physical tools). Upside is a stronger-armed Wentz, imo (but yes, his floor is Jake Locker.....'s dog walker).

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:27:47 AM by Heismanberg »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »

Upside is a stronger-armed Wentz, imo (but yes, his floor is Jake Locker.....'s dog walker).

Middle ground: Blade Bottles

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 11:55:29 PM »
  If we take him over Baker Mayfield, I completely understand. 

freak.  That.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »
2017 passer rating under pressure (of 48 draft-eligible QBs)

Mayfield 105.2 (1st)
Rudolph 94.4 (6th)
Jackson 91.7 (8th)
Falk 77.7 (17th)
Lauletta 76.6 (18th)
Darnold 73.6 (19th)
Rosen 68.4 (23rd)
White 66.8 (24th)
Allen 56.1 (33rd)

Probably a PFF generated stat, so take it with a grain of salt. It’s also worth noting I’ve read before that he faced more pressure than just about every other college QB (Darnold was close though).

Point is, these is another glaringly negative trait to add the the resume of a guy that I can’t get behind spending the #3 pick on. Really it’s more than just the #3 due to the trade up.

I would rather take a guy who’s shown he can complete passes in the face of the pass rush.

(Mason Rudolph)

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »
Honestly the only major thing Baker doesn't have going for him is really size. He seems like a smart kid, so I'm not as concerned about him learning NFL offenses coming from a spread. He is incredibly accurate as well.

Haven't we all been banging the table for someone that is smart and accurate? He may not have elite traits, but neither does Brees, Brady, Cousins, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, ect. If he was 2-3 inches taller, I think we'd be running to the podium to pick him at 3.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 09:59:40 AM »
Honestly the only major thing Baker doesn't have going for him is really size. He seems like a smart kid, so I'm not as concerned about him learning NFL offenses coming from a spread. He is incredibly accurate as well.

Haven't we all been banging the table for someone that is smart and accurate? He may not have elite traits, but neither does Brees, Brady, Cousins, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, ect. If he was 2-3 inches taller, I think we'd be running to the podium to pick him at 3.

I think the perception of non-football-type attention he will draw/create is not something a Bowles-coached team would appreciate. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 10:20:15 AM »
It’s also worth noting I’ve read before that he faced more pressure than just about every other college QB (Darnold was close though).

Darnold and Allen both had terrible protection.  Darnold had a way more talented supporting cast, which is obvious looking at where the two guys played football. 

Allen was killed by a lack of a running game and his receivers rarely found separation.  His completion percentage was impacted by pressure and his supporting cast.  He had a group of undersized, inexperienced receivers and a horrible, swiss cheese line. 

They have two big losses heading into 2017.  Brian Hill was an outstanding mid-major running back.  Losing him killed Wyoming's balance.  Tanner Gentry was an average wideout before Josh Allen showed up at Wyoming.  Allen elevated that kid's game and basically got him to the NFL. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pqRs8Z8eGA

Wyoming at Iowa shows it all.  They are completed outmatched talent-wise, but he made a lot of big throws and had one big mistake and Josh Jackson made him pay for it.

His receivers are terrible and he is pressured on almost every attempt.  When he's not pressured, the wideouts get no separation from coverage.  Wyoming had 30 carries for 59 yards in this game.  There's no balance. 

Tags: