Author Topic: Manish Mehta - FIRED  (Read 70993 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Manish Mehta - Professional Journalist (Uncredentialed)
« Reply #720 on: November 25, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »
That should do it for Manish...can't see how he doesn't get fired over being exposed.

Why? It's not like this is news to his boss, or that it's suddenly going to turn fans against someone they already hate.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #721 on: November 25, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »
Why? It's not like this is news to his boss, or that it's suddenly going to turn fans against someone they already hate.

Maybe if it somehow affects their money.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #722 on: November 25, 2020, 11:20:54 AM »

There are several big named sports writers commenting on this.  It's a very bad look for them. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #723 on: November 25, 2020, 11:27:22 AM »
There are several big named sports writers commenting on this.  It's a very bad look for them. 

Right, but it's nothing that wasn't already known by a) his bosses or b) most of the online Jets community. It's at best a confirmation and collation of previous stories.

He continues to get clicks and continues to run stories that people lap up (and which are often at least in part correct and ahead of anything from writers more concerned about staying on the team's good side). Organisations tend to be reluctant to fire people who make them money, as you know from first hand experience with what you're seeing at work right now. I don't see why this changes anything with Manish.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #724 on: November 25, 2020, 11:38:46 AM »
Right, but it's nothing that wasn't already known by a) his bosses or b) most of the online Jets community. It's at best a confirmation and collation of previous stories.

He continues to get clicks and continues to run stories that people lap up (and which are often at least in part correct and ahead of anything from writers more concerned about staying on the team's good side). Organisations tend to be reluctant to fire people who make them money, as you know from first hand experience with what you're seeing at work right now. I don't see why this changes anything with Manish.
Mostly agree with this. It puts more heat on Manish, but nothing will happen imminently.

I don't know how much money he's making, but considering media layoffs, they might eventually use this as a reason why to lay him off eventually.

That said, I would hope for a better journalistic standard than "at least in part correct."

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #725 on: November 25, 2020, 11:41:25 AM »

This should be extremely embarrassing to Manish, but he doesn't seem to be phased by that too much.  Regarding the NYDN, it depends on how much they care about being seen as a legit news organization.  If they just care about clicks and are OK with basically being the National Enquirer, it won't change anything, you are right.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #726 on: November 25, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »
Mostly agree with this. It puts more heat on Manish, but nothing will happen imminently.

I don't know how much money he's making, but considering media layoffs, they might eventually use this as a reason why to lay him off eventually.

That said, I would hope for a better journalistic standard than "at least in part correct."

If you want higher journalistic standards then you might be looking for The Athletic. Tabloid journalism has always been about selling papers, or these days encouraging clicks, with sensationalist and sometimes tenuous headlines. I think that if you're looking for the NYDN or any other tabloid to improve its journalistic standards you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Again, that doesn't mean they're always wrong. They'd just rather be first with a rumour that might be true than second with a story that definitely is.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #727 on: November 25, 2020, 02:58:21 PM »
This story is trending nationally on Twitter.

Just wow.

As for why Manish still has a job, I've said this before, his editor had to have been in on it. That someone's else's work was being passed off as Manish's only reinforces my belief.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #728 on: November 25, 2020, 03:01:09 PM »
This story is trending nationally on Twitter.

Just wow.

As for why Manish still has a job, I've said this before, his editor had to have been in on it. That someone's else's work was being passed off as Manish's only reinforces my belief.

Because it's the exact same mentality of people who hate Trump following him on Twitter. "WAAAAAAAAH LOOK WHAT TRUMP/MANISH WROTE NOW! HERE! LOOK AT THIS EVERYBODY! WHAT A freaking IDIOT!"

Doesn't matter. Got follows and clicks. If you want to make these people go away, stop giving them what they want.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #729 on: November 25, 2020, 03:25:49 PM »
The NYDN depends on clicks and advertising, they're not going to get rid of a guy that gets both because he's a freaking slimeball.

I have seen it in every walk of life, I have worked with people that have to be seen to be believed if I told you the stories you guys would think I was lying. The more revenue a person creates for an organization is in direct relationship to how big of a scumbag they can be. I mean in some respects the business world has changed, the tolerance is certainly less for that type of behavior but the relationship still stands.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:28:15 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #730 on: November 25, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »
The NYDN depends on clicks and advertising, they're not going to get rid of a guy that gets both because he's a freaking slimeball.

I have seen it in every walk of life, the more revenue a person creates for an organization is a direct relationship to how big of a scumbag they can be. I mean in some respects the business world has changed, the tolerance is certainly less for that type of behavior but the relationship still stands.

I mean, look at Puck.  He's the biggest poopchute ever, but he gives elite eye contact during his blowjobs to homeless dudes out behind Jerry's Scrap Metal Shop.  That's why they haven't called the cops on him yet.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #731 on: November 25, 2020, 03:28:52 PM »
I mean, look at Puck.  He's the biggest poopchute ever, but he gives elite eye contact during his blowjobs to homeless dudes out behind Jerry's Scrap Metal Shop.  That's why they haven't called the cops on him yet.

Jerry's is your backyard dude, you asked for exclusive rights.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #733 on: November 25, 2020, 03:50:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1331702461124407296?s=20

oh excrement, Awful Announcing got a hold of it

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington