Author Topic: Antonio Cromartie open to restructuring  (Read 11992 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Antonio Cromartie open to restructuring
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
How many games did Milliner miss this year due to injury?  Too lazy to look it up from my phone.  Certainly missing most of camp and several games would be a hindrance to this season.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
. Certainly the hip could have played a role in his decline.  That and the scheme having him 900 yards off the line.  That may have been to cover for his hip injury too. 

The Jets moved to a lot softer coverage scheme as the season progressed. Milliner is not Revis, and Cro always had trouble with the concept of pressing his WR at the line even when healthy. Rex was rightfully worried about giving up the big play. I think if Milliner progresses and if Cro gets healthy or his replacement comes into town the Jets will get back to more press coverage.

The Jets really need speed at LB to mask the secondary deficiencies. If the Jets get an OLB that can pass rush this defense will be at an altogether ridiculous level.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Antonio Cromartie open to restructuri
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »
Along the same lines, I'd like to see Wilson kept around too.  He didn't live up to a first round pick but he really shouldn't have been a first round pick as a slot corner.  He can be replaced though.  I won't miss the finger wag but Milliner seems to have it down pat.

Hahahaha. I saw him doing that yesterday.

Wilson is serviceable and can step in to a starting role when needed. Next season is a contract year for him and I'd like to see him succeed but I still don't want to see the Jets dump all of their defensive budget into the secondary.

The Jets really need speed at LB to mask the secondary deficiencies. If the Jets get an OLB that can pass rush this defense will be at an altogether ridiculous level.

Agreed. Improving the pass rush and the underneath coverage will benefit the secondary more than paying a lot for a third CB. I wouldn't mind the team taking a fourth or fifth round developmental CB prospect to step into that third CB role.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:48:57 AM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
Wilson was a decent Nickel corner. I would like the Jets to keep him for that role. it's too important for today's pass happy league. I couldn't care less about the finger waving excrement. Whether he defended the pass or it was a drop or overthrow, as long as that pass wasn't completed he can jerk off in the middle of the field for all I care.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »
he can jerk off in the middle of the field for all I care.
. Now that would funny.  Pace would watch.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »
Wilson is a very solid nickle. It would be a mistake to send him packing.

Milliner overcame missing all of training camp and time early in the year. I was going to give him until next year to accomplish what he's managed the last two weeks. Is he Revis? No. Will he be Revis? I don't know. I do know he's going to be very, very good.

As for Cromartie, from all the things I've seen, surgery has been recommended to fix what's wrong. As long as that goes well, he should be significantly better. If we get Milliner a bit improved next year, plus Cromartie back to Revis-counterpart-level at a team-friendly number, that's going to significantly upgrade the secondary. If Allen continues to impress that's another spot we've already addressed. Reed should come back on the vet minimum to add depth/mentoring. The secondary could be very good with a healthy Cromartie returning.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 11:13:44 AM »
Wilson is a very solid nickle. It would be a mistake to send him packing.
Cutting him in 2014 would be a mistake but it's not like he's an elite player. It's possible to upgrade the position but he'll have 2014 to prove that sentiment wrong.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
He better be. He went from Revis like to barely worth 6M/yr

In a calendar year.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 04:39:06 AM »
Per Cimini:

Cromartie told teammates he expects the Jets to release him, but that he hopes to re-sign after testing the market.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 09:20:58 AM »
Per Cimini:

This is what we expected, so it makes sense, tear that contract up and hopefully we can get a decent deal for us afterwards, if not their are other corners we could bring in.
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
We may end up getting him back way cheaper than anticipated if his market is a big fat zero.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
I saw this morning that, since this is the last year of his contract, restructuring isn't really an option. I had thought an extension could spread the cap money over a longer period, but maybe that was incorrect, in which case cut-and-re-sign looks to be the way to go.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
I'd like to keep Cromartie and Wilson, hoping Cro can get healthy again. You never have too many corners, especially when you factor in injuries and teams going with multiple WR sets. We lost a chance to go to the Super Bowl when we ran out of corners at Indy and Manning took advantage of it.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
I saw this morning that, since this is the last year of his contract, restructuring isn't really an option. I had thought an extension could spread the cap money over a longer period, but maybe that was incorrect, in which case cut-and-re-sign looks to be the way to go.

If it works like baseball, the new contract terms would not have an effect on the final year of his current contract. Regardless, this is the best option for the Jets, and most likely Cromartie. An extension most likely would not have provided him with the type of long-term security he is going to be looking for in what should be his last significant contract.

I would prefer him back, but beggars cannot be choosers.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
We still have months to go before we start seeing any moves. 

Hurry up
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: cromartie jets