Author Topic: Craft beer  (Read 117805 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Craft beer
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »
I had an Allagash Black the other day.  It was much better than I thought it would be.  Probably not a craft beer, but anything that isn't in the grocery store around here is a craft beer in my mind.

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »
I had an Allagash Black the other day.  It was much better than I thought it would be.  Probably not a craft beer, but anything that isn't in the grocery store around here is a craft beer in my mind.

This quote is from a US beer quality site I use now and again;

"I wanted a beer one night while in San Francisco and I saw this beer in a 4 pack and it caught my attention. I decided to give it a shot. The first thing I noticed was the very mild smell, I don't know how to describe the smell but it makes you want to taste it. The taste is one of if not the best stout I have ever tasted. It has an amazing flavor while still being very light and mild (allot of dark beers make you feel like you just ate a meal). I would recommend this stout/beer for anyone who enjoys a flavorful beer. If you aren't a fan of darker beers trust me when I say give this one a chance it combines the best aspects of beers, Dark: Great Flavor without being bitter like allot of darker beers, Lighter: Very light with a mild taste that makes you want to keep drinking it.

I have for sure found my new favorite beer."

You are clearly a better judge of brew than you think.
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »
This quote is from a US beer quality site I use now and again;

"I wanted a beer one night while in San Francisco and I saw this beer in a 4 pack and it caught my attention. I decided to give it a shot. The first thing I noticed was the very mild smell, I don't know how to describe the smell but it makes you want to taste it. The taste is one of if not the best stout I have ever tasted. It has an amazing flavor while still being very light and mild (allot of dark beers make you feel like you just ate a meal). I would recommend this stout/beer for anyone who enjoys a flavorful beer. If you aren't a fan of darker beers trust me when I say give this one a chance it combines the best aspects of beers, Dark: Great Flavor without being bitter like allot of darker beers, Lighter: Very light with a mild taste that makes you want to keep drinking it.

I have for sure found my new favorite beer."

You are clearly a better judge of brew than you think.

As someone who drinks Guinness quite a bit and having always been surprised how mild it is, Allagash Black seemed to taste like you'd think Guinness would, but not so strong that you feel like you drank a glass of Jagermeister.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 01:12:44 PM »
Everything Allagash makes is good.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
Everything Allagash makes is good.

I had a few of their beers when we went to Maine last year.  I like them too.  Gotta get my hands on a few different ones from them.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
Allagash is a solid brewery and they are definitely a craft beer.

They're mostly known for emulating the Belgian beers but their black is pretty good. It's not my first choice when I want a dark/stout type brew, but its still pretty damn good.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
 I bought a 750er of the Ommegang Take the Black Game of Thrones Stout. Will probably drink it tomorrow during the games... They had at least a few cases. If it's as good as the Iron Throne Blonde Ale, i'll probably buy a case (those suckers were going for crazy amounts of money on craigslist/ebay when supply dried up).  Even though stouts are my favorite beer, I'm skeptical i'll like it because it has licorice in it, and licorice is freaking disgusting.

also stocked up on founders breakfast stout 4 packs. The guy at Total Wine said they were flying off the shelves and there were hardly any left.  At first Founders just introduced it on tap in Florida, but looks like as of last week or two it's not available retail. seriously one of the best beers i've ever had.  Sucks that it's only seasonal
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 02:40:09 PM by JFIF »

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
The FBS is all over the place around these parts. It's been around for years. One of my top 5 most reliable beers. I did a piece on Founders Brewery for the last site and the BS was the one I saved for last because its my favorite. I'd tell you to find their KBS but that's pretty rare. I've only had it once.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
The FBS is all over the place around these parts. It's been around for years. One of my top 5 most reliable beers. I did a piece on Founders Brewery for the last site and the BS was the one I saved for last because its my favorite. I'd tell you to find their KBS but that's pretty rare. I've only had it once.

Florida has ultra gay distribution laws. As I mentioned, stuff also like the growler laws are retarded(i.e. only can be filled at a brewery, and only in 32 oz and 128 oz). So sometimes it takes awhile for things to get here.

We literally JUST got New Belgium beers about 2 months ago. 

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
Had an Omnegang Amber and Saison last night. Thought both were very good.

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
Ah! The weekend again.

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/odell-lugene-chocolate-milk-stout

This cost me a serious wedge for six of these but thought it might be cool to try something you guys might have available. I purchased online from a pretty cool UK supplier but at $10 a bottle pretty expensive: is it good?

Oh yes, lovely stuff. If you like stout for a departure from the usual ales available this is seriously good. Loads of Chocolate, not too sweet but definitely not sharp, a wee hint of licorice at the finish. Seriously recommend if you can get your hands on it.

Now a bit off craft beer but I'm curious to know if you guys ever buy home kegs? I bought a nice little 5 litre (about 9 pints) of my favorite staple - Morlands Speckled Hen in a very new design home keg and it pours like straight from the local pub. A bit of control on the tap which allows extra pressure to give a nice creamy finish. Are these available and are they popular in the states? I've seen some Heineken and a few other developing these but this is the best design and pour I've seen.
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
Now a bit off craft beer but I'm curious to know if you guys ever buy home kegs? I bought a nice little 5 litre (about 9 pints) of my favorite staple - Morlands Speckled Hen in a very new design home keg and it pours like straight from the local pub. A bit of control on the tap which allows extra pressure to give a nice creamy finish. Are these available and are they popular in the states? I've seen some Heineken and a few other developing these but this is the best design and pour I've seen.

I think my only mini-keg options around here are Heineken and Newcastle, but I haven't looked very hard. We have a Heineken mini-keg at every tailgate usually.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »
I think my only mini-keg options around here are Heineken and Newcastle, but I haven't looked very hard. We have a Heineken mini-keg at every tailgate usually.

They're popular for people who have mini-keg fridges or home bars.  That's about it for non-party use.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
Mini-kegs are sold in these parts. Ones I've seen: Heineken, Newcastle, different variations of Hacker-Schorr, variations of Paulaner, Gaffel-kolsch and I've seen the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier once of twice. I'm skeptical of the mini-kegs because they usually don't have date of births on them, and, obviously, you can't see the beer so it's a hit-or-miss proposition for something that can be a little pricy.

I've had the Cigar City Jai Alai IPA recently, and the Westbrook IPA and the Coronado Idiot IPA (a double) that were both delicious. The Greenport Black Duck Porter was nice and I had Ommegang Adoration, a Belgian take on a winter warmer. Also has the He Said by 21st Amendment which is a 4-pack with 2 types of beer: a pumpkin tripel and a pumpkin Baltic porter. It was good, but overpriced for my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:21:59 AM by guinness77 »

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »
Oh, Kuhnhenn Double Rice IPA on tap at my local distro...got a little 32 ouncer on Thursday night, one of THE best beer ever made, forget just IPAs.

And, Badge and Jfif, how have neither one of you had Lunch yet?