Collegiate Football > NCAA Football

The Legend Of Willie Taggart

(1/7) > >>

SixFeetDeep:
On a busy day that’s already seen Florida State find its new football coach in Willie Taggart, another piece of the puzzle has fallen into place for Seminoles football. Jim Leavitt, who served as Taggart’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Oregon this season, is also Tallahassee-bound to serve as FSU’s DC.

Leavitt, who’s 61, boasts extensive experience. He’s been an assistant at Kansas State and Colorado, as well as with the San Francisco 49ers, and was the head coach at South Florida from 1997-2009.

At Oregon, Leavitt oversaw a defensive turnaround that is beyond impressive. In just one season under Leavitt, the Ducks’ overall S&P defensive ranking went from 119th before his arrival to 58th.

SixFeetDeep:
It’s no secret Florida State Seminoles’ recruiting has taken a nose dive in recent weeks. The class has lost seven commitments over the last week or so, due to Jimbo Fisher’s staff putting the brakes on most recruiting since Halloween. However, we could be on the precipice of a major swing in momentum, now that FSU has hired Willie Taggart away from Oregon to be its next head coach.

Taggart is considered one of the best recruiters in the country due to the talent he was able to sign at Western Kentucky and USF, and the class he had coming in at Oregon, which is on pace to be the best in school history.

So who might Taggart be able to bring with him to Tallahassee? A source with intimate knowledge of the Oregon and Florida State recruiting situations gave us four names.

FSU will likely get back recent de-commitments RB Jashaun Corbin and WR Antoine Green, the source said.

In addition, Tampa-area Oregon commitments such as DB Isaiah Bolden and WR Warren Thompson, both of whom FSU recruited at one point, should be considered likely to flip now that FSU has landed Taggart. Bolden was an FSU commit at one time. Current Ducks defensive ends commits Malcolm Lamar (Seffner, FL) and Johnathan King (Tampa, FL), along with linebacker Andrew Johnson (Tifton, GA) should also be considered prime flip candidates.

MBGreen:
I haven't seen Taggart since he helped take down that drug ring with Axel Foley.

Miamipuck:

--- Quote from: MBGreen on December 06, 2017, 07:48:45 AM ---I haven't seen Taggart since he helped take down that drug ring with Axel Foley.

--- End quote ---

I knew that was coming when I saw you posted in this thread.

SixFeetDeep:
Willie Taggart: “Excuse my language but I want a damn good defense. Like the old days, we were a bunch of bad asses.” #FSU

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version