Author Topic: Jerry Jones is my spirit animal  (Read 13790 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Jerry Jones is my spirit animal
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
Badger is going to lose his excrement.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:57:21 AM »
THERE WAS A PAUSE. It was Aug. 9, inside Roger Goodell's sixth-floor office at the NFL's Park Avenue headquarters in New York City -- down the hall, past the executives' offices and his assistant's desk, and through a large, thick wooden door that is both imposing and usually left open to serve as a welcome. Goodell huddled over a speakerphone with general counsel Jeff Pash. On the other end was Jerry Jones. Adhering to the protocol of giving owners a 48-hour heads-up before a major disciplinary issue involving their team is announced, Goodell and Pash informed Jones that after a 13-month domestic violence inquiry, the Dallas Cowboys' star running back, Ezekiel Elliott, would face punishment -- a six-game suspension.

The line went quiet. Seconds passed. Goodell's decision was an unconscionable violation of trust, Jones later told associates, because he believed that the commissioner had assured him this past spring that there would be no suspension. Jones saw in Elliott a genuine opportunity, a player so good that he had made Jones believe that this year he just might win a Super Bowl for the first time since 1996. His anger was palpable. Finally, according to sources with direct knowledge of the call, Jones broke the silence. He aimed his words not only at Goodell's decision but also at his role as judge, jury and executioner in the case.

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a hoo-ha compared to what I'm going to do."

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »
Hahahahahaha this is amazing
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
“The owners were also less than thrilled about the fact that Jones, they reportedly believe, whispered in the ear of Papa John's CEO John Schnatter, who would complain that NFL players taking knees during the anthem was hurting his pizza sales.”

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »
"If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a hoo-ha compared to what I'm going to do."

Jerry Jones is the GOAT owner.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »
Roger Goodell is the absolute freaking master at this game. He knows that the owners won't pass up an opportunity to put the boot in on one of their own, and he knows that as long as he has most of 31 of them in his camp he can go after pretty much any other one with impunity. So far he has done Kraft, Snyder, Blank, Benson and now Jones twice; I reckon the only ones he won't go after are Mara, Tisch and Rooney. He might think twice about taking on Allen as well, because while he doesn't have the political power he has more money than God.

I don't see any way that Jones does any better at this than Kraft or Snyder did. Just bend over and take your shafting like a good little boy, Jerry; this ain't a fight you're going to win.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
Roger Goodell is the absolute freaking master at this game. He knows that the owners won't pass up an opportunity to put the boot in on one of their own, and he knows that as long as he has most of 31 of them in his camp he can go after pretty much any other one with impunity. So far he has done Kraft, Snyder, Blank, Benson and now Jones twice; I reckon the only ones he won't go after are Mara, Tisch and Rooney. He might think twice about taking on Allen as well, because while he doesn't have the political power he has more money than God.

I don't see any way that Jones does any better at this than Kraft or Snyder did. Just bend over and take your shafting like a good little boy, Jerry; this ain't a fight you're going to win.

lol, out of the last few years the thing you have decided is Roger Goodell is smart?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »
lol, out of the last few years the thing you have decided is Roger Goodell is smart?

The last few years you've watched him acting as a full fledged dictator making up and enacting punishments on the spot, treating the NFL and its assorted multimillionaires as his personal fiefdom with impunity while getting them to pay him tens of millions a years for the privilege of doing so, and you've concluded that he isn't?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:17:02 PM »
The last few years you've watched him acting as a full fledged dictator making up and enacting punishments on the spot, treating the NFL and its assorted multimillionaires as his personal fiefdom with impunity while getting them to pay him tens of millions a years for the privilege of doing so, and you've concluded that he isn't?

This.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »

Yeah, because he could have done all that until whenever he wanted if he was halfway intelligent about weilding his power. He'll get this next contract, probably, but he is done after that without a doubt. Eventually, just freaking everyone raw will make everyone hate him more than they hate each other.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »
Yeah, because he could have done all that until whenever he wanted if he was halfway intelligent about weilding his power. He'll get this next contract, probably, but he is done after that without a doubt. Eventually, just freaking everyone raw will make everyone hate him more than they hate each other.

I think you misunderstand Goodell's role. He didn't punish Dallas and Washington for overspending in the uncapped year because he felt it was the right thing to do, he did it because Mara and Tisch and Rooney and Kraft and a bunch of other owners saw them doing it and wanted him to take away the advantage they gained.

He didn't punish Tom Brady and the Patriots for cheating because he thought they were, he did it because Mara and Tisch and Rooney and Jones and a bunch of other owners felt that Kraft was getting a bit too big for his boots, and because Jones and Snyder and Blank wanted to demonstrate that they were unhappy with him supporting their punishments.

He didn't punish Elliott for being a shithead because he felt it was the right and proper thing to do, he did it because Kraft is still pissed about the Brady suspension and wanted to get back at Jones for not supporting him through the whole thing and because Mara and Tisch and Rooney and Snyder all love putting the boot in on Jones.

All the while that these guys are playing out real life Game Of Thrones, the fans are busy pointing at Goodell as the bad guy. And you think the owners are getting sick of him? The guy is a dream employee, better than they could have possibly dared hope that anyone could be at their job. They are never, ever firing Goodell; one day he'll get sick of it and go home, because they've already made him far wealthier than any sports commissioner could ever reasonably hope or expect to become as a result of his spectacularly good performance.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
I have never understood the hatred for Goodell by the public. I understand why the players and owners hate him; if a commissioner is doing his job then both the players and owners should hate him. But the public's general hatred of him makes little sense to me.

I guess I can understand a Patriots fan not liking him because heaven forbid Tom Brady or the organization is held accountable for their cheating, but what has he ever done to Jets or Niners or Falcons fans?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »
I think you misunderstand Goodell's role. He didn't punish Dallas and Washington for overspending in the uncapped year because he felt it was the right thing to do, he did it because Mara and Tisch and Rooney and Kraft and a bunch of other owners saw them doing it and wanted him to take away the advantage they gained.

He didn't punish Tom Brady and the Patriots for cheating because he thought they were, he did it because Mara and Tisch and Rooney and Jones and a bunch of other owners felt that Kraft was getting a bit too big for his boots, and because Jones and Snyder and Blank wanted to demonstrate that they were unhappy with him supporting their punishments.

He didn't punish Elliott for being a shithead because he felt it was the right and proper thing to do, he did it because Kraft is still pissed about the Brady suspension and wanted to get back at Jones for not supporting him through the whole thing and because Mara and Tisch and Rooney and Snyder all love putting the boot in on Jones.

All the while that these guys are playing out real life Game Of Thrones, the fans are busy pointing at Goodell as the bad guy. And you think the owners are getting sick of him? The guy is a dream employee, better than they could have possibly dared hope that anyone could be at their job. They are never, ever firing Goodell; one day he'll get sick of it and go home, because they've already made him far wealthier than any sports commissioner could ever reasonably hope or expect to become as a result of his spectacularly good performance.

I think you are misunderstanding why I think they will definitely get rid of him and it is even a question right now about his contract. If he was as great at his job as you think he is it would not even be a remote possibility it doesn't get renewed.

What I'm saying is he could have done all of those things without making the league look so utterly incompetent along the way. You know the ratings keep going down and the actual on field stuff is pretty shitty right now, right?

I'm sure Roger Goodell is a great yes man behind the scenes but there are other humans capable of being yes men without also looking incompetent.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »
I think you are misunderstanding why I think they will definitely get rid of him and it is even a question right now about his contract. If he was as great at his job as you think he is it would not even be a remote possibility it doesn't get renewed.

What I'm saying is he could have done all of those things without making the league look so utterly incompetent along the way. You know the ratings keep going down and the actual on field stuff is pretty shitty right now, right?

I'm sure Roger Goodell is a great yes man behind the scenes but there are other humans capable of being yes men without also looking incompetent.

It's not about being a yes man, it's about being a lightning rod.

Tags: