Author Topic: Whisky / whiskey  (Read 12902 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Whisky / whiskey
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2019, 12:01:15 PM »
Anyone recommend a bottle of Scotch for about $100 please? I know freak all about Scotch, it's for a gift.

My favorite is Maccallan. A 15 or 18 year, if you can find it in your price range, but those are almost always >$100. Personally, I'd go with the Sherry cask 12 or 15 year: https://www.caskers.com/the-macallan-12-year-old-sherry-oak-single-malt-scotch-whisky/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Caskers%20-%20Shopping%20-%20Freshly%20New&utm_term=4575411483285765&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

The Sherry Oak is my favorite Maccallan. I also like Dewars white label on the cheap side, but I haven't tried their higher-priced options. My second favorite scotch is Glenfiddich (They have a good Sherry Oak option as well but not as good as Maccallan's), and number 3 on my list is Glenlivet but I've only had their standard variety.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
BTW, a lot of people will suggest Johnnie Walker, and while I can't say I've ever tried their big-ticket bottles, both their red and black labels are absolutely awful.

And this is coming from someone who drinks Grant's on the super-budget end.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »
Anyone recommend a bottle of Scotch for about $100 please? I know freak all about Scotch, it's for a gift.
Whichever bottle of Highland Park costs $100

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
BTW, a lot of people will suggest Johnnie Walker, and while I can't say I've ever tried their big-ticket bottles, both their red and black labels are absolutely awful.

Blue will cost you around 100$

Seems to be one of the most popular "mainstream" high end whiskeys. I've bought it for gifts before.

But I prefer bourbon so freak if I know how it taste

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2019, 04:27:24 PM »
I’ve asked for a bottle of scotch for Christmas but it’s an extremely smoky/peaty single malt: Laguvulin 16. It’s a little more than $70. I’ve been gifted a bottle of Oban 14 before which I thought was amazing. Prob in the $75-80 range. Are you married to that $100 number?

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2019, 04:29:04 PM »
Blue will cost you around 100$

Seems to be one of the most popular "mainstream" high end whiskeys. I've bought it for gifts before.

But I prefer bourbon so freak if I know how it taste
Where do you get Blue from? The cheapest I’ve EVER seen in is $180. Normal price is more than $200. I’ve seen it for more than $250 numerous times. 

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2019, 04:31:23 PM »
My favorite is Maccallan. A 15 or 18 year, if you can find it in your price range, but those are almost always >$100. Personally, I'd go with the Sherry cask 12 or 15 year: https://www.caskers.com/the-macallan-12-year-old-sherry-oak-single-malt-scotch-whisky/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Caskers%20-%20Shopping%20-%20Freshly%20New&utm_term=4575411483285765&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

The Sherry Oak is my favorite Maccallan. I also like Dewars white label on the cheap side, but I haven't tried their higher-priced options. My second favorite scotch is Glenfiddich (They have a good Sherry Oak option as well but not as good as Mdaccallan's), and number 3 on my list is Glenlivet but I've only had their standard variety.
Sherry is a nice cask for a dark liquor. I got a bottle of Legent bourbon earlier this year which is finished in a sherry cask and it is freaking delightful. One of the best, smoothest bourbons I’ve ever had.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »

This times a million, Johnny Walker tastes like dish water to me.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
I’ve asked for a bottle of scotch for Christmas but it’s an extremely smoky/peaty single malt: Laguvulin 16. It’s a little more than $70. I’ve been gifted a bottle of Oban 14 before which I thought was amazing. Prob in the $75-80 range. Are you married to that $100 number?
I am if it's USD, that's more like $130 in ice dollars.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2019, 04:57:29 PM »
Peaty stuff is usually Islay's, the highlands are more caramel flavored.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
I am if it's USD, that's more like $130 in ice dollars.
So something in the $50-60 USD range? Glenlivet 15 or Macallan 12.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2019, 11:10:39 PM »
Where do you get Blue from? The cheapest I’ve EVER seen in is $180. Normal price is more than $200. I’ve seen it for more than $250 numerous times. 

Costco in Holbrook long Island sells the 750ml for 150

(well the liquor store is in Costco, it's not owned by them, or at least not technically). But regardless hands down this is the best priced liquor store I've ever been in, in the US at least. I'm sure there's better priced places out there, but I drink the cheap excrement anyway

They used to have 500mls for 100 but I don't think they make them anymore

https://holbrookliquors.com/sku200029_JOHNNIE-WALKER-SCOTCH-BLUE-LABEL-750ML
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:12:17 PM by dcm1602 »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »
Sherry is a nice cask for a dark liquor. I got a bottle of Legent bourbon earlier this year which is finished in a sherry cask and it is freaking delightful. One of the best, smoothest bourbons I’ve ever had.

The sherry finish completely changes everything. I don't need it, but I love it.

This times a million, Johnny Walker tastes like dish water to me.

Johnnie Walker: It's like Budweiser, but scotch.

So something in the $50-60 USD range? Glenlivet 15 or Macallan 12.

I feel validated. #thumbsup

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2019, 01:15:36 PM »
Been on a Jameson kick lately. Started with the Jet-Giant game actually, went with a bunch of people.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »
Been on a Jameson kick lately. Started with the Jet-Giant game actually, went with a bunch of people.
Tullamore Dew is way better and there are others way better than that. They're not appreciably more expensive if at all.

Tags: