Author Topic: Whisky / whiskey  (Read 12900 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Whisky / whiskey
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Why isn't this common advice? It seems like something people would scoff at ("What are you doing watering down good whiskey!?") but makes complete sense.

Then again, it seems no one understands that there is a very good reason that wine glasses have stems.

People scoffing are doing so because in their minds when they're drinking whiskey they look like Don Draper. You can ignore them, or you can tell them two things:

1. All whiskey is watered down already - cask strength whiskey is far more powerful than the stuff that arrives in bottles, and

2. The better the whiskey, the greater the need to water it down in order to open up the flavours.

A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »
I remember hearing that tip years ago but can't recall where. I always pour a splash of water usually bottled.
"Wrong!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »
People scoffing are doing so because in their minds when they're drinking whiskey they look like Don Draper. You can ignore them, or you can tell them two things:

1. All whiskey is watered down already - cask strength whiskey is far more powerful than the stuff that arrives in bottles, and

2. The better the whiskey, the greater the need to water it down in order to open up the flavours.

Thanks, you definitely taught me something new today!
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »
I was drinking Bulleit quite a bit and that's good, Bulleit Rye is even better than regular Bulleit.

Honestly, I am not drinking too much Scotch because the good stuff is so damn expensive.

For instance, a good friend of mine received carte blanche to use the company expense account and went balls to the wall to the tune of $1800. We went to Total Wine and more, a alcohol superstore. We eventually went to the single malt section and went looking around. We settled on a Macallan 18 year old ($209) and Dalmore King Alexander III ($239).

The guy helping us there warned us that the Macallan was overpriced and that the KA was way better and worth the $$. So we tried the 18y/o and it was pretty good, I think Buffalo Trace a $31 per bottle bourbon, is much better.

The KA III, on the other hand was amazing, the best Single Malt Whisky I have ever tried and really it's not close. His wife even did a taste test and agree wholeheartedly.  In fact we didn't touch the Macallan again and polished off the KA along with a couple of cigars.

As good as the KA III was, there's no way in hell I am spending that on a bottle of Whisky without extenuating circumstances.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:48:39 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
Ice is frozen water. It will melt and have the same effect as just adding water, but by reducing the temperature as well it dampens the flavours down. I'm not especially a fan, but it's not for me to tell people how they should or shouldn't enjoy their drinks.

Next time you're tempted to try a whiskey though, add a little bit of water instead of ice. Purists will tell you that it should be distilled water so that the minerals don't interfere with the whiskey flavours, but unless you're into poncey tasting it really doesn't make a difference. Just add the water a couple of drops at a time, taste, repeat if you still want to take the impact down util you've got the balance where you want it. Then you can enjoy the whiskey flavours without having it tear the back of your throat off.

It depends on where the ice is made as well. Some bars have terrible ice machines and in turn it makes the whiskey taste crappier.

Anyway, I always get whiskey neat with a side of ice and I add a cube at a time. This protects against shitty ice and obviously you don't get a ton of ice with a shot, which waters it down too much.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »
What's your opinion on ice? I had Jamison at a wedding last year on the rocks and it wasn't "great" but it was more drinkable than anything apart from the unnamed I tried. It's the only time I've ever had Jamison, so I wouldn't know one way or the other if it was "better."

I mentioned this earlier but Jamison isn't really that good. I think there's much better Irish Whiskey's than that. For instance, I think Tullamore Dew is way better as is Bushmill's and the price difference is essentially negligible. I used to drink TD for $4 a glass at a bar that was attached to the ice rink. Here in NY it's double the price.....oh well.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »
I mentioned this earlier but Jamison isn't really that good. I think there's much better Irish Whiskey's than that. For instance, I think Tullamore Dew is way better as is Bushmill's and the price difference is essentially negligible. I used to drink TD for $4 a glass at a bar that was attached to the ice rink. Here in NY it's double the price.....oh well.

You reminded me, the whiskey that my boss' boss shared was Macallan. So, thanks.

As for the Jamison's, I was at a wedding and the father of the bride asked me to have a drink with him. I was sitting at his table, literally the first time I'd ever met him, so I wasn't about to say no. We walked up to the bar, and he ordered the drinks. The bartender said, "I'm not allowed to pour alcohol unless it's mixed." He said, "I'm paying for this whole thing, pour the drink." It was pretty amusing.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
It depends on where the ice is made as well. Some bars have terrible ice machines and in turn it makes the whiskey taste crappier.

Anyway, I always get whiskey neat with a side of ice and I add a cube at a time. This protects against shitty ice and obviously you don't get a ton of ice with a shot, which waters it down too much.

Sure. There's no right way and wrong way, if that's the way you enjoy drinking it. I don't get why people would smother good whiskey in soda, but some do and it's their call. And who doesn't like sitting at the end of a skeevy bar hammering down a couple of quick shots of a excrement rail blend and feeling like Mike Hammer or Philip Marlowe?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

sg3

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
The spelling of whisky, or whiskey, differs geographically. As a rule, American and Irish prefer ‘whiskey’ and the Scots, Canadians and the rest of the world’s single malt makers prefer ‘whisky’. This originated during the 19th century. For in around 1870, Scotch whisky was of very low quality, much of it being distilled poorly in Coffey stills. For exportation to America, the Irish distillers wanted to differentiate their product from the poorer Scotch whisky, thus they added the ‘e’ to mark the crucial distinction. Today, Scotch whisky has become one of the world’s greatest spirits, but the spelling still differs. On mass, Americans still spell their spirit with an ‘e’, though legally it is spelt ‘whisky’. A few distillers, Maker’s Mark and George Dickel for example, prefer the Scottish spelling, this is to be attributed to their Scottish ancestry.

Source: Master OF Malt
Just to add to this so we can better define the discussion of Whisky made in Scotland.

There are two types.  The first is called blended scotch and includes virtually all the mass produced brands such as Johnny all colors but green and blue, Chivas, J&amp;B, etc.  The second type is called Single Malt.

Why is SM of higher quality generally.

Because it us made in smaller casks, made of a single years crop of 100% malt and aged in Oak for a specific number of years

Blends are exactly that.  They use 15 to 25% Malt whisky made as described above and blend it with the same cheaper grade continuous process Coffey still grain whisky described by Scotland Jet above.

So if you want to pay your hard earned dollars for the finest Scotch whisky, your choice should clearly be a Single malt product.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, I think all Johnnie Walkers are blends, even the blue.

JE hits the nail on the head here. A little ice or a little water is how anything halfway decent should be consumed. I agree with Puck on the Tullamore Dew, that's my go-to Irish whiskey but if you can find a bottle of 15-year Redbreast, I can't recommend that enough. It can be pricy, I've seen it as high as $92 here but it is amazing.

I've had Macallan 18 and Glenlivet 21 each once. Very special. My go-to, fairly cheapish, single malt is Glenlivet 15. Great tasting and at $60 a bottle, not bad. Balvenie 12 is a good, fairly cheap single malt too.

My favorite "cheap" bourbon is Basil Hayden. And, gotta nod to JE on this one, Woodford Reserve is good too. I can't believe I used to think so highly of maker's mark. A good NY, Brooklyn made bourbon is Widow Jane. It runs on the high side for bourbon, $60 in some places but it is really freaking good.

I don't drink much rye, but I find the High West to be fantastic.

A buddy of mine once gave me a glass of Buchanan's Red Seal which was one of the best single malt's I've ever had but after googling it, it's at least $160 a bottle. Damn.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:32:30 PM by guinness77 »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »
I got this as a wedding present 11 years ago.  Still unopened. Is this any good? I know little about liquor.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:27 PM »
I got this as a wedding present 11 years ago.  Still unopened. Is this any good? I know little about liquor.

If it's still unopened I don't see why it wouldn't be. Glenlivet is great.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »

mix it into your banana pudding
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 09:02:03 PM »
mix it into your banana pudding
Gonna chug it during the next Jets loss.  See you in hell lover of the older lady!!!

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
Gonna chug it during the next Jets loss.  See you in hell lover of the older lady!!!
wash down those salty ham sammiches
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: