Author Topic: Tank Watch  (Read 164412 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Tank Watch
« Reply #780 on: December 06, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
We'll be picking thru reclamation projects and aging veterans in FA regarding the OL position.  Teams don't let their OL players go to FA in their prime.

Like i said earlier, we'll sign some band-aids in FA, but it's the draft where we'll find our OL cornerstones for the future.

EDIT: My ideal scenario is to shop for skill positions in FA, and load up on OL at the draft.
Conklin, Scherff, Castonzo, Thuney, all quality players and neither reclamation nor aging.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #781 on: December 06, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »
Conklin, Scherff, Castonzo, Thuney, all quality players and neither reclamation nor aging.

or may not make it to FA.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #782 on: December 06, 2019, 01:57:16 PM »
or may not make it to FA.

I fully expect Conklin to make it to FA given what the Titans have invested in other parts of their line. Saffold and Lewan are already making big money, Ben Jones is on the books for 7.5 mil next year. Not to mention given how he's played, they're probably going to have to throw significant funds to keep Tannehill.

Agree with you that Scherff doesn't make it to free agency, whether by a new deal or franchise tag...but Redskins are gonna Redskin.

Pats historically don't pay their lineman on their second contracts-that may change given Tom's closing window. Would love to get Thuney in here.

Costanzo likely stays in Indy given their cap situation and lack of replacement on the roster.

There's other guys as well. Bryan Bulaga might shake free in Green Bay. Andrus Peat would be a decent addition to the interior. Ditto Daryl Williams. Not world-beaters by any stretch, but certainly better than the excrement we have now.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #783 on: December 06, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »
I'm just going to say it again, they're not rebuilding the offensive line in free agency. They'll be fortunate to get one starter before the draft, and even that, I'd be fairly surprised to see.

But okay, let's say they sign at least 2 OL, the only thing I'd be okay with taking in round 1 other than OL is a pass rusher. Even then, I'd rather they trade down if they feel any OL available is too far a reach, and again, I'd happily reach in R1 for OL (hell, every round).

Darnold is the most significant player this franchise has had since Broadway Joe. The most important thing for him is to be upright because we've seen what he can do with even a modest amount of time to throw.

Draft offensive line early and often.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #784 on: December 06, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
I'm just going to say it again, they're not rebuilding the offensive line in free agency. They'll be fortunate to get one starter before the draft, and even that, I'd be fairly surprised to see.

But okay, let's say they sign at least 2 OL, the only thing I'd be okay with taking in round 1 other than OL is a pass rusher. Even then, I'd rather they trade down if they feel any OL available is too far a reach, and again, I'd happily reach in R1 for OL (hell, every round).

Darnold is the most significant player this franchise has had since Broadway Joe. The most important thing for him is to be upright because we've seen what he can do with even a modest amount of time to throw.

Draft offensive line early and often.

Some of the best offensive lineman this franchise has ever had were a product of free agency, inclusive of a hall of famer.

Mawae, Faneca, Jumbo Elliot, Pete Kendall, Damian Woody. If we don't walk out of free agency with two new starters along the offensive line I'll be furious for the very reason you said. Gotta protect Sam.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #785 on: December 06, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »
Some of the best offensive lineman this franchise has ever had were a product of free agency, inclusive of a hall of famer.

Mawae, Faneca, Jumbo Elliot, Pete Kendall, Damian Woody. If we don't walk out of free agency with two new starters along the offensive line I'll be furious for the very reason you said. Gotta protect Sam.

Nobody lets their solid linemen go anymore though. That's why I doubt there will be enough available to acquire, and the cost will be prohibitive.

If Douglas pulls it off, he'll be an instant hero. But I'm not counting on it. I'll be happy just getting the talent throughout the draft.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #786 on: December 06, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »
Nobody lets their solid linemen go anymore though. That's why I doubt there will be enough available to acquire, and the cost will be prohibitive.

This is the point I was making 2 pages ago
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #787 on: December 06, 2019, 04:45:45 PM »

If Douglas pulls it off, he'll be an instant hero. But I'm not counting on it. I'll be happy just getting the talent throughout the draft.

This is the point I was making 2 pages ago

But I don't think that's the case.

Trent Brown, the previously mentioned Roger Saffold and Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks, Rodney Hudson, Reilly Reiff J.C. Tretter, Mitchell Schwartz. All high end offensive lineman who were acquired via free agency.

Just to clarify, I don't see Douglas spending the money to bring in two starting tackles, but if by some freak occurrence it happens, then there's no interior lineman in this draft that warrants passing over a Ceedee Lamb, and certainly the argument can't be made that such a decision would be detrimental to Sam's development.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #788 on: December 06, 2019, 04:49:07 PM »
But I don't think that's the case.

Trent Brown, the previously mentioned Roger Saffold and Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks, Rodney Hudson, Reilly Reiff J.C. Tretter, Mitchell Schwartz. All high end offensive lineman who were acquired via free agency.

Just to clarify, I don't see Douglas spending the money to bring in two starting tackles, but if by some freak occurrence it happens, then there's no interior lineman in this draft that warrants passing over a Ceedee Lamb, and certainly the argument can't be made that such a decision would be detrimental to Sam's development.

OL is the No. 1 need for this team, followed by CB and WR (especially if Robby walks). We need to fill all three roles.

Whether it's signing 2 OL and drafting 2, or signing 1 and drafting 2-3, or what, we need to address it. That doesn't mean we have to draft an OL in round 1 if there are great players at other positions available, but we also can't head into Day 3 without a single OL in our draft class.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #789 on: December 07, 2019, 01:28:40 AM »
This is a very good draft for OL. If there isn’t one that falls in our range, we should definitely trade down and pick one. Unless somehow Chase Young is discovered smoking crack and freaking a 16 year old whore, our pick has to be an OLineman.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #790 on: December 15, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
Jets moving on up. #7 now.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #791 on: December 15, 2019, 07:09:35 PM »
Jets moving on up. #7 now.

I think 4 is the spot to have any shot at Thomas, 6-8 might be the spot for Wirfs
Need a new one for a new board...

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #792 on: December 15, 2019, 07:23:43 PM »
I think 4 is the spot to have any shot at Thomas, 6-8 might be the spot for Wirfs
Wirfs or Thomas....get it done

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #793 on: December 15, 2019, 07:42:06 PM »

We're not getting #4. Miami have the Bengals and Patriots left, so their ceiling is 4 wins. The Giants probably won't win their last two, but even if they do they have the tiebreaker. Likewise Washington. Arizona have Seattle and the Rams left, both on the road. Detroit have to go on the road to Green Bay still. The very best we can do is the #6 pick and I think 8-10 is the likeliest bet.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #794 on: December 15, 2019, 07:44:09 PM »
Wirfs or Thomas....get it done
Jets have 9 picks this draft.  I expect 27 of them to be o-linemen.  After the draft, the Jets will have Thunderdome installed at Florham Park.  All lineman enter, only 5 leave.  We need an o-line full of dudes who live in solitude in a mountain cabin all offseason, killing bears with their bare hands.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:47:16 PM by bojanglesman »

Tags: