Author Topic: Tank Watch  (Read 164809 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Tank Watch
« Reply #765 on: December 04, 2019, 06:10:51 PM »
I completely forgot that Jachai Polite existed.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #766 on: December 05, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
I completely forgot that Jachai Polite existed.

It's so great that the hurdle that Douglas has to clear to be a better GM than his predecessor is his 3rd round pick has to make it to week 1.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #767 on: December 05, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »
It's so great that the hurdle that Douglas has to clear to be a better GM than his predecessor is his 3rd round pick has to make it to week 1.

He has to make this a team Darnold wants to stay on by the time his rookie contract is up. That means giving him a line and letting him be in the same offense more than one year in a row. He has one weapon in Bell that we should keep, and hope Herndon comes back anywhere close to what he was. Do that and a lot of guys can produce at WR.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #768 on: December 05, 2019, 03:33:52 PM »
But if he takes a receiver in the first round I will soil my pants in outrage, drive down to Florham Park and sling the crusty mess at his office window.
This receiver draft is amazing. We need to get a receiver at some point. With Robby an FA and Quincy one injury away from being a vegetable, it's vital we upgrade at WR this offseason. OL is clearly the No. 1 priority, but if we get a WR in round 1 and load up on 2-3 linemen in the next few rounds, I'm okay with that.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #769 on: December 05, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
This receiver draft is amazing. We need to get a receiver at some point. With Robby an FA and Quincy one injury away from being a vegetable, it's vital we upgrade at WR this offseason. OL is clearly the No. 1 priority, but if we get a WR in round 1 and load up on 2-3 linemen in the next few rounds, I'm okay with that.

I gotta believe Quincy is either restructuring or he's gone.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #770 on: December 05, 2019, 03:54:57 PM »

Who can count on him? A fragile WR is one play away from being done at all times. Made it one game this year, his last productive year was probably 2015.

Still Idzik's best pick though.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #771 on: December 05, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »
He's probably gone - he even tweeted that there's a chance he never plays again. But it looks like they only save $2.4M if they get rid of him, so if he's healthy, he might be worth that.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #772 on: December 06, 2019, 10:45:02 AM »
If it's as deep a WR as is being advertised, I'll be pretty disappointed if the first-round pick goes to that position.

OL should be the overwhelming favorite to pick in R1. I'm okay with reaching on it too. It's just far too important for Darnold's future. It's a lot easier to throw to lower caliber receivers when you have time to throw than to throw to elite receivers from your back.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #773 on: December 06, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »
If it's as deep a WR as is being advertised, I'll be pretty disappointed if the first-round pick goes to that position.

OL should be the overwhelming favorite to pick in R1. I'm okay with reaching on it too. It's just far too important for Darnold's future. It's a lot easier to throw to lower caliber receivers when you have time to throw than to throw to elite receivers from your back.

It's dependent on free agency. Douglas goes out on the first day of free agency and signs high end talent along the offensive line than my tune might change.

I get the argument is that corner is top heavy and receiver is deep so we may as well grab from the second rung after Okudah, and look towards day 2 to bring in a receiver, but this team has ignored drafting on the offensive side of the ball and at skill positions for so long that I'm not going to scoff at the idea of drafting a CeeDee Lamb if free agency sorts out the trenches.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #774 on: December 06, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »
It's dependent on free agency. Douglas goes out on the first day of free agency and signs high end talent along the offensive line than my tune might change.

I get the argument is that corner is top heavy and receiver is deep so we may as well grab from the second rung after Okudah, and look towards day 2 to bring in a receiver, but this team has ignored drafting on the offensive side of the ball and at skill positions for so long that I'm not going to scoff at the idea of drafting a CeeDee Lamb if free agency sorts out the trenches.

There's no way to sign 5 starting-caliber OL in FA, and there isn't anyone on the OL now that should remain a starter (and I still like Harrison as a center, but as a backup). Draft OL early and often. I won't waver from that opinion.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #775 on: December 06, 2019, 11:07:49 AM »
There's no way to sign 5 starting-caliber OL in FA, and there isn't anyone on the OL now that should remain a starter (and I still like Harrison as a center, but as a backup). Draft OL early and often. I won't waver from that opinion.

True.

But suppose they sign two new tackles. There isn't an interior lineman worth drafting in the top 10 where we're likely to pick IMHO.

I'm with you philosophically (BUILD THAT WALL), but you can't reach for need either. Luckily they have a high second and are very likely to have two picks in the third round within the first 15 selections.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #776 on: December 06, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »

It's probably going to take 2 drafts to rebuild the OL for the long haul.  We may sign some OL in FA, but they'll be stopgap players.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #777 on: December 06, 2019, 11:25:34 AM »
It's probably going to take 2 drafts to rebuild the OL for the long haul.  We may sign some OL in FA, but they'll be stopgap players.

Probably, but the sooner we start the sooner we finish and we'll immediately be better than we are now. One of the best RBs in the NFL can maybe get more than 2 yards per carry.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #778 on: December 06, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »

Usually you're right, but I look at FA and I could honestly put together a very decent line this Spring with the exception of a center.

If we signed three starting OL in FA, traded down and took Tyler Badass late in the 1st I'd be a happy boy.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #779 on: December 06, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
Usually you're right, but I look at FA and I could honestly put together a very decent line this Spring with the exception of a center.

If we signed three starting OL in FA, traded down and took Tyler Badass late in the 1st I'd be a happy boy.

We'll be picking thru reclamation projects and aging veterans in FA regarding the OL position.  Teams don't let their OL players go to FA in their prime.

Like i said earlier, we'll sign some band-aids in FA, but it's the draft where we'll find our OL cornerstones for the future.

EDIT: My ideal scenario is to shop for skill positions in FA, and load up on OL at the draft.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:49:47 PM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: