Author Topic: Tank Watch  (Read 164459 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Tank Watch
« Reply #855 on: December 30, 2019, 08:15:37 AM »
Whether or not you like Gase, everyone on this board has been saying that the offensive line is the biggest hinderance to this team. Adding Etienne without improving the offensive line leaves us in the same boat, just with a younger HB.

The idea is that he would only be an option IF we upgraded the OL in FA to a point where we can afford to use a 1st round pick on a playmaker and not an OL.

in my eyes the two biggest priorities in FA need to be OL and CB. We can't afford to use the #11 pick on a CB, we need to get young offensive talent in this building ASAP
Need a new one for a new board...

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #856 on: December 30, 2019, 09:58:29 AM »
The only position that isn't OL that I'd be okay seeing drafted in the first round is EDGE.

But I'd probably be okay watching Douglas draft a RB in R1 just to watch the anyeurism end Gase's tenure with this organization.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #857 on: December 30, 2019, 03:01:46 PM »
The only position that isn't OL that I'd be okay seeing drafted in the first round is EDGE.

But I'd probably be okay watching Douglas draft a RB in R1 just to watch the anyeurism end Gase's tenure with this organization.
Really? I think WR and CB are blatantly obvious needs. Maybe even bigger needs than EDGE at this point.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #858 on: December 30, 2019, 03:18:12 PM »
Really? I think WR and CB are blatantly obvious needs. Maybe even bigger needs than EDGE at this point.

Corner is a big need but I still don't want to dedicate a first rounder to it. I overwhelmingly want the first pick to be an offensive lineman, but I'll settle for someone who can rush the passer since it's been a couple of decades since we had someone to do it effectively. Obviously, that's TBD whether it'll be a need come April. We could always address it in free agency.

I don't want to draft a receiver in the first round unless they've strongly addressed OL in FA as well as EDGE. If it's a deep draft for receivers, as I've heard multiple times, take one later.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #859 on: December 30, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »
Corner is a big need but I still don't want to dedicate a first rounder to it. I overwhelmingly want the first pick to be an offensive lineman, but I'll settle for someone who can rush the passer since it's been a couple of decades since we had someone to do it effectively. Obviously, that's TBD whether it'll be a need come April. We could always address it in free agency.

I don't want to draft a receiver in the first round unless they've strongly addressed OL in FA as well as EDGE. If it's a deep draft for receivers, as I've heard multiple times, take one later.

If it's a deep draft for wideouts get a second one later.

I'm not advocating for a wideout but this is about Darnold. If the values there at wideout when we're on the clock and OL isn't, and we can't trade, get the dude a wideout.

I'd rather have a patchwork defense and see Sam grow, then draft a freaking nother early corner.

While we will always need an edge rusher Darnolds more important. Not to mention we have like 8 lb coming off of IR

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #860 on: December 30, 2019, 03:32:07 PM »
If it's a deep draft for wideouts get a second one later.

I'm not advocating for a wideout but this is about Darnold. If the values there at wideout when we're on the clock and OL isn't, and we can't trade, get the dude a wideout.

I'd rather have a patchwork defense and see Sam grow, then draft a freaking nother early corner.

While we will always need an edge rusher Darnolds more important. Not to mention we have like 8 lb coming off of IR

I agree with DCM in the sense that we should be going playmaker heavy. We damn sure better not draft a TE this year. But doubling up on WRs and grabbing a RB seem like pretty important for our success. We need a talent infusion all over the offense.

Given that we have 7 picks, I would like to see our positional breakdown of our draft picks look something like this

2 OL (one OT and one interior), 2 WR, 1 RB 1 CB, 1 BPA pick.
Need a new one for a new board...

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #861 on: September 22, 2020, 11:40:26 AM »
Right now there are 11 teams with an 0-2 record.

The Jets are currently slated to pick 11th. 

They’re tied in SOS with Miami (from HOU) at #10.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #862 on: September 22, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
Terrible that we are in our fourth season of this thread and it's still relevant.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #863 on: September 22, 2020, 01:13:56 PM »
Revisiting the start of this thread.... well played.

This actually would be a good year for the Colts to tank, too. They could trade down from a top-2 pick, pick up a bunch of picks, and finally build a roster around Luck.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #864 on: September 22, 2020, 01:16:46 PM »
Dates this post started each year:

2017: September 10th
2018: November 13th
2019: November 3rd
2020: September 22nd

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #865 on: September 22, 2020, 01:20:11 PM »
Dates this post started each year:

2017: September 10th
2018: November 13th
2019: November 3rd
2020: September 22nd

What took us so long last year? Season was over by Week 2.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #866 on: September 22, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
This actually would be a good year for the Colts to tank, too. They could trade down from a top-2 pick, pick up a bunch of picks, and finally build a roster around Luck.

They ended up trading with us so we could get Darnold, right?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #867 on: September 22, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »
They ended up trading with us so we could get Darnold, right?

Correct. It was top 3 rather than top 2, but other than that he was spot on - they used one of those picks to get Quenton Nelson, I don't remember who else.

Obviously Smalls loses a point for not also predicting Luck's retirement.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #868 on: September 22, 2020, 01:39:04 PM »
Correct. It was top 3 rather than top 2, but other than that he was spot on - they used one of those picks to get Quenton Nelson, I don't remember who else.

Obviously Smalls loses a point for not also predicting Luck's retirement.
Posted it in another thread, but Quenton Nelson, Braden Smith and Rock Ya-Sin. We wouldn't have drafted as well most likely, but that would have been a heck of a way to build a foundation on the OL (and at CB).

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #869 on: September 22, 2020, 01:45:52 PM »
Posted it in another thread, but Quenton Nelson, Braden Smith and Rock Ya-Sin. We wouldn't have drafted as well most likely, but that would have been a heck of a way to build a foundation on the OL (and at CB).

Is Rock Ya-Sin any good? I honestly don't remember having seen him play.

Tags: