Author Topic: Tank Watch  (Read 164793 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Tank Watch
« Reply #750 on: December 04, 2019, 10:56:56 AM »
I agree with you. 

Which leads us to the root of this problem....the ownership.  Sometimes i wonder if the Johnsons even watch the games.

I think they absolutely watch the games. I work with a guy who thinks they purposely sabotage the team so they don't need to pay contracts. I tell him that's a load of nonsense.

The problem is these owners don't understand the game of football. Combine that with the fact that neither of them had to "work" to get to where they are today either. Football's a complicated sport, and managing an organization--of any type, sports or otherwise--is hard. They just don't have the skills to do it.

That's why it was "smart" when they hired Casserley/Wolf to help in their search. Obviously, that didn't work out well, but it was smart to look at bringing in someone with more knowledge to help.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #751 on: December 04, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
I think they absolutely watch the games. I work with a guy who thinks they purposely sabotage the team so they don't need to pay contracts. I tell him that's a load of nonsense.

The problem is these owners don't understand the game of football. Combine that with the fact that neither of them had to "work" to get to where they are today either. Football's a complicated sport, and managing an organization--of any type, sports or otherwise--is hard. They just don't have the skills to do it.

That's why it was "smart" when they hired Casserley/Wolf to help in their search. Obviously, that didn't work out well, but it was smart to look at bringing in someone with more knowledge to help.

I'm all about soliciting and acting on the advice of Ron Wolf his record speaks for itself.

There isn't a dumber sack of excrement in football than Charlie Casserly. He road the coattails of Bobby Beathard and Joe Gibbs to any success he had before completely ruining those teams. His time with the Texans and draft record there is the stuff of nightmares. Why we even gave him the time of day, or didn't see how transparent him trying to get his friend a gig was is a huge criticism I have of the Johnson's.

For whatever reason despite how bare he left this cupboard, Mac gets such a pass from this fanbase. Gase running him out of town is the best thing he's done so far imho.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #752 on: December 04, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »

For whatever reason despite how bare he left this cupboard, Mac gets such a pass from this fanbase. Gase running him out of town is the best thing he's done so far imho.

Agreed. As bad as his drafting turned out to be, he was adamant about getting us a franchise QB and he eventually did, so he's a rung above the Idzik level in our history.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #753 on: December 04, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
Agreed. As bad as his drafting turned out to be, he was adamant about getting us a franchise QB and he eventually did, so he's a rung above the Idzik level in our history.

Recognizing that this all comes with the caveat that hindsight is 20-20.

As much as we all recognize how good Jamal Adams is-he was taken by a franchise who was perpetually searching for a quarterback ahead of Watson and Mahomes.

I mean, what would you rather have? Jamal and Sam or either of those two quarterbacks and Quentin Nelson? I'm all-in on Sam, I think he's going to be an elite quarterback and he doesn't have a Tyreek Hill/Travis Kelce or Nuk Hopkins/Will Fuller cache of weapons like those two have (nor does he have the protection Mahomes gets). But I'd think it'd be foolish to say he's on either of their level yet.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #754 on: December 04, 2019, 11:55:19 AM »
I'm all about soliciting and acting on the advice of Ron Wolf his record speaks for itself.

There isn't a dumber sack of excrement in football than Charlie Casserly. He road the coattails of Bobby Beathard and Joe Gibbs to any success he had before completely ruining those teams. His time with the Texans and draft record there is the stuff of nightmares. Why we even gave him the time of day, or didn't see how transparent him trying to get his friend a gig was is a huge criticism I have of the Johnson's.

Maybe Maccaganan wasn't a great choice. We really don't know because a large number of his picks were seemingly to help Bowles' system. Just because Gase got him fired doesn't justify anything.

Bowles was the second-choice for the Jets. Quinn was #1 but rather than wait until the Seahawks' season ended, they chose to just hire Bowles and not "miss out" if Quinn later rejected them.

I'm not excusing Maccagnan. Apart from SFD, I was the loudest and earliest voice to fire him. But part of the problem was bad coaching.

As for Casserley, I'm not a fan either. Still, he's more football-knowledgeable than Chris and Woody put together. And he and Wolf came highly recommended by the league itself, so I don't think it's fair to blame the Johnsons on that one.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #755 on: December 04, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
Recognizing that this all comes with the caveat that hindsight is 20-20.

As much as we all recognize how good Jamal Adams is-he was taken by a franchise who was perpetually searching for a quarterback ahead of Watson and Mahomes.

I mean, what would you rather have? Jamal and Sam or either of those two quarterbacks and Quentin Nelson? I'm all-in on Sam, I think he's going to be an elite quarterback and he doesn't have a Tyreek Hill/Travis Kelce or Nuk Hopkins/Will Fuller cache of weapons like those two have (nor does he have the protection Mahomes gets). But I'd think it'd be foolish to say he's on either of their level yet.

I think about that too, we could have also had Lamar Jackson if I'm not mistaken. Based on what I've seen, I think Darnold can have as good a career over the long haul as any of them if we put a team around him.

It's one reason I'm not a big fan of putting him in a third offense in three years. I'd love to see him at least get a chance to run the same thing two years in a row. It would be great if he could come out in Week 1 the way he looked at the end of last year and the way he's looked recently. That's not necessarily an endorsement of Gase, before the natives come after me with torches, but I think the jury on Gase is still out enough that I'd like to see this happen. I don't think there's enough bad to justify blowing it all up again right now, having a new GM with his first off season should be enough for now and go from there.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #756 on: December 04, 2019, 12:16:14 PM »

They wouldn't need to bring in consultants if they would just remove themselves from the equation.  Restore order, and have the HC report directly to the GM and so forth.

Let the GM hire the HC.

We keep hiring the wrong coaches because those two morons are making the decisions.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #757 on: December 04, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
They wouldn't need to bring in consultants if they would just remove themselves from the equation.  Restore order, and have the HC report directly to the GM and so forth.

Let the GM hire the HC.

We keep hiring the wrong coaches because those two morons are making the decisions.

Who would hire the GM?
Also, you wanted idzik and mcagnan to hire coaches?

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #758 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »
Who would hire the GM?

Idzik would have hired Lou Holtz back.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #759 on: December 04, 2019, 02:35:48 PM »
Who would hire the GM?

Ownership can hire the GM....

and yes, the GM should hire the coach.  Obviously Idzik and Duff shouldn't be making any decisions, but that's how hindsight works.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #760 on: December 04, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »

Let the GM hire the HC.

Who would hire the GM?

Ownership can hire the GM....

and yes, the GM should hire the coach.  Obviously Idzik and Duff shouldn't be making any decisions, but that's how hindsight works.

But ownership did hire GMs. Like Terry Bradway, and Mike Tannenbaum, and John Idzik. They got help hiring Maccagnan because they realized they weren't succeeding before that.

They basically lucked into Douglas and Gase's machinations are why he was hired. And still, we have zero basis for believing it was a good hire yet. So far, he's given us Ryan Kalil and Demaryius Thomas. He's not exactly lighting the world on fire. I'll give him credit for extending Griffin though. We just need to wait and see with him first.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #761 on: December 04, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
So far, he's given us Ryan Kalil and Demaryius Thomas.

Also Alex Lewis, Braxton Berrios and Sam Ficken.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #762 on: December 04, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »
It's virtuously impossible to judge Douglas at this point. The moves he made were all after the fact in terms of the period in which teams build for the year.

Having said that, I find his ask of Zach Martin for Adams to be very encouraging because it indicates that he knows exactly where the biggest identifiable need is on the team, and that he also has a commitment to building the offense from the trenches out. He didn't ask for Gallup-plus, or anything like that. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it as maybe he just asked for something he knew he wouldn't get as he didn't have interest in moving Jamal.

I can't remember a time where we've picked in the top 10 and virtually all of us are clamoring for the best offensive lineman on the board. Even the year we took D Brick, back in TGG land there was considerable debate over whether they should go D Brick, one of the available quarterbacks, or Williams, (remember we all thought it was predestined that Bush was going first overall).

Granted the year they took Coples there was a very vocal (and correct) contingent in wanting DeCastro, but that wasn't a top 10 pick.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #763 on: December 04, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
It's virtuously impossible to judge Douglas at this point. The moves he made were all after the fact in terms of the period in which teams build for the year.

Of course you're right, I wasn't saying that he'd fucked up - I like Thomas and getting another vet offensive player for Sam made a heap of sense, the rest were scrapheap pickups to fill roster holes. His pedigree is good and his background as a lineman makes me hope that he'll be a true believer in building from the trenches (although frankly I think he's got the easiest GM job in the league right now given my wife could probably identify the biggest problems on the roster, and she knows the square root of freak all about football).

But if he takes a receiver in the first round I will soil my pants in outrage, drive down to Florham Park and sling the crusty mess at his office window.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #764 on: December 04, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »
Adam Gase wanted Demaryius Thomas.

Thomas loves Gase and vice versa.  Douglas went out and got his HC a player that he wanted. 

Douglas' two best moves here: 

Ryan Griffin

Cutting Jachai Polite and keeping Kyle Phillips instead
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: