Author Topic: Mass shootings  (Read 144570 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Mass shootings
« Reply #960 on: March 15, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
No, and I have no desire to. Apparently his "manifesto" and his rifle were covered in white supremacist slogans and internet memes ranging from the Navy SEAL copypasta to PewDiePie.

In recent times we've seen horrific mass murders using firearms and vehicles. An increasingly common theme is the radicalisation of young white males through internet communities. Incels, white supremacists, proto-fascists, whatever the core belief system they're being fostered and encouraged to do these things.

There is no "ironic racism". You can not make person of color jokes or nazi salutes or casual misogynist statements without real world consequences, and this is what those consequences look like - innocent worshippers being shot in their mosques and their churches, women being mown down on sidewalks.

Your children are going to be the next Dylann Roof or Alek Minassian or Anders Breivik unless we all start doing something about it, and not letting the anonymity of the internet be an easy excuse to ignore these attitudes.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #961 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:53 AM »
No, and I have no desire to. Apparently his "manifesto" and his rifle were covered in white supremacist slogans and internet memes ranging from the Navy SEAL copypasta to PewDiePie.

In recent times we've seen horrific mass murders using firearms and vehicles. An increasingly common theme is the radicalisation of young white males through internet communities. Incels, white supremacists, proto-fascists, whatever the core belief system they're being fostered and encouraged to do these things.

There is no "ironic racism". You can not make person of color jokes or nazi salutes or casual misogynist statements without real world consequences, and this is what those consequences look like - innocent worshippers being shot in their mosques and their churches, women being mown down on sidewalks.

Your children are going to be the next Dylann Roof or Alek Minassian or Anders Breivik unless we all start doing something about it, and not letting the anonymity of the internet be an easy excuse to ignore these attitudes.

This is a pathetic attempt to use a tragedy to justify a worldview.

No, Count Dankula getting his freaking dog to do a Nazi salute in jest did not lead to this. For fucks sake.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #962 on: March 15, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »
This is a pathetic attempt to use a tragedy to justify a worldview.

No, Count Dankula getting his freaking dog to do a Nazi salute in jest did not lead to this. For fucks sake.

No, it's stating that PewDiePie doesn't get to use "it was just a joke, bro" to justify his actions.

You're the one who's going to be bringing children into this world. I don't know why you're defending people's rights to make it one full of hatred.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #963 on: March 15, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »
No, it's stating that PewDiePie doesn't get to use "it was just a joke, bro" to justify his actions.

You're the one who's going to be bringing children into this world. I don't know why you're defending people's rights to make it one full of hatred.

You're playing into exactly what the shooter said he wanted to happen in his manifesto. Sad.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #964 on: March 15, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »
You're playing into exactly what the shooter said he wanted to happen in his manifesto. Sad.

"The only way to stop the spread of hatred is to allow it to spread!" Gotcha.

Or are you trying to push the long since debunked fallacy that the politics of hatred can be defeated through rational debate? Like you can somehow reason someone out of bigotry?

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #965 on: March 15, 2019, 02:50:43 PM »
"The only way to stop the spread of hatred is to allow it to spread!" Gotcha.

Or are you trying to push the long since debunked fallacy that the politics of hatred can be defeated through rational debate? Like you can somehow reason someone out of bigotry?

First, magnifying the shooters manifesto and spending time on it, is effectuating one of his goals. I'd rather not. But since we're getting into it, the entirety of the rambling is a mixture of shitposting and views completely incoherent with one another (likely intentional considering his stated goal is to incite more division and war). For example, he spews classic white supremacist link and rails against conservatives (essentially the ultra-rightists version of a leftist saying some claptrap like, "liberals get the bullet too"), before endorsing CANDACE OWENS as his biggest influence.

He wants sides pointing at the other. Don't give this poopchute what he wants.

The problem is, there are people defining wholly benign talking points such as "we need an immigration freeze from countries who can't get their excrement together" or "we need a secure border" as "politics of hatred." Pewdiepie is now being cited as some sort of gateway drug to white supremacy, which is absurd.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #966 on: March 15, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
First, magnifying the shooters manifesto and spending time on it, is effectuating one of his goals. I'd rather not. But since we're getting into it, the entirety of the rambling is a mixture of shitposting and views completely incoherent with one another (likely intentional considering his stated goal is to incite more division and war). For example, he spews classic white supremacist link and rails against conservatives (essentially the ultra-rightists version of a leftist saying some claptrap like, "liberals get the bullet too"), before endorsing CANDACE OWENS as his biggest influence.

He wants sides pointing at the other. Don't give this poopchute what he wants.

The problem is, there are people defining wholly benign talking points such as "we need an immigration freeze from countries who can't get their excrement together" or "we need a secure border" as "politics of hatred." Pewdiepie is now being cited as some sort of gateway drug to white supremacy, which is absurd.

I completely agree with you that reasonable discussion about sensitive topics has become exponentially difficult as a result of the screeching overreaction to pretty much everything from the more extreme sides of any debate, but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't still try and have it.

However, I don't think that any debate is enhanced by Youtube "personalities" passing off nazi salutes as just a joke. If you have a platform, inherited or built, you have a responsibility to use it in a fashion that is beneficial, and if you choose to use it in negative fashion then you should expect people to want to tear it down.

"It's only a joke bro" (I know you didn't say that) has become one of the most counterproductive and unpleasant mottos of a generation IMO, serving as it has to excuse behaviour that if you did it in person would get your nose smeared across your face. I find it difficult to reconcile people demanding that we stand, remove our hats and pay respect to a generation that gave everything while at the same time accepting that a nazi salute is simply an expression of free speech. If my grandfathers and likely any of our grandfathers who served had seen such a thing while they were alive they would have filled someone in for doing that, and if they didn't I'd have done it for them. The end result of "it's only a joke bro" is 49 people gunned down in the name of bigotry.

Ignoring this excrement isn't working.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #967 on: March 16, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #968 on: March 16, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
Not all heroes wear capes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0_Wnh_zEbU

Darnold’s little brother is a real one
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #969 on: March 16, 2019, 09:28:58 PM »

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #970 on: March 16, 2019, 10:25:15 PM »

Ben Shapiro doesn't say any of that excrement, and the shooter was very clearly not inspired by a freaking Jew.

Eli Valley is fucked in the head.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #971 on: March 16, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »
Oh and blaming Shapiro for the Quebec mosque shooting too.

God, what a great human being.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #972 on: March 17, 2019, 08:59:20 AM »
Ben Shapiro doesn't say any of that excrement, and the shooter was very clearly not inspired by a freaking Jew.

Eli Valley is fucked in the head.
Hoo boy

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #973 on: March 17, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath