Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 643845 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #8745 on: April 04, 2024, 06:10:29 AM »
It's sad how many times I've had to explain this to people older than me.

https://today.yougov.com/politics/articles/5057-understanding-how-marginal-taxes-work-its-all-part

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #8746 on: April 04, 2024, 06:46:18 AM »
It's sad how many times I've had to explain this to people older than me.

https://today.yougov.com/politics/articles/5057-understanding-how-marginal-taxes-work-its-all-part

Same. The level of financial literacy is frighteningly low; I was listening to a podcast yesterday (Plain English with Derek Thompson from The Ringer - it's very good) in which they said that a Federal Reserve Bank of Boston survey asked "what do you think should happen to inflation when interest rates go up", and only 39.4% of respondents correctly answered with "inflation should go down". Or in other words, something like 60% of Americans thought that rising interest rates causes inflation. These people are making voting decisions based on economic considerations when they don't even understand the most basic principles of money.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #8747 on: April 04, 2024, 10:33:23 AM »
I remember an old TGG post circa 2008-09 where someone claimed their wife would have to stop working because they couldn't afford the taxes on her additional income.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8748 on: April 05, 2024, 08:35:19 PM »
Same. The level of financial literacy is frighteningly low; I was listening to a podcast yesterday (Plain English with Derek Thompson from The Ringer - it's very good) in which they said that a Federal Reserve Bank of Boston survey asked "what do you think should happen to inflation when interest rates go up", and only 39.4% of respondents correctly answered with "inflation should go down". Or in other words, something like 60% of Americans thought that rising interest rates causes inflation. These people are making voting decisions based on economic considerations when they don't even understand the most basic principles of money.

Looking at peoples credit cards and car loans is 10,000x more scary than this

I can care less if someone can't understand governmental policy/theory etc

I'm much more terrified when you realize the large majority of the country is paying astronomical percents of interest on nonsense.

Hell I forget the actual numbers but there's been a massive spike in check cashing places or places that give you an advance on your next check. And the rates on these are insane

People being clueless on governmental policy is eh. But people being completely clueless on their own personal finances,  the worst

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #8749 on: April 16, 2024, 08:35:10 AM »
I'm much more terrified when you realize the large majority of the country is paying astronomical percents of interest on nonsense.

Hell I forget the actual numbers but there's been a massive spike in check cashing places or places that give you an advance on your next check. And the rates on these are insane

People being clueless on governmental policy is eh. But people being completely clueless on their own personal finances,  the worst

And you attribute this to education rather than desperation?

The *spike* in it is a pretty clear indicator that it's due to people's material circumstances and not some sudden drought in financial literacy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:38:06 AM by Badger »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #8750 on: April 16, 2024, 08:35:54 AM »
Tom Cotton implying vehicular manslaughter as a form of counter protest was certainly something.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8751 on: April 16, 2024, 09:34:28 AM »

The *spike* in it is a pretty clear indicator that it's due to people's material circumstances and not some sudden drought in financial literacy.

I think you're probably both right to some degree.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8752 on: April 16, 2024, 11:27:44 AM »

It's likely a combination of both, but I'd wager education (or overall intelligence) has to be the bigger factor when you're willing to fork over chunks of your income for prolonged periods of time

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #8753 on: April 16, 2024, 11:47:46 AM »
It's likely a combination of both, but I'd wager education (or overall intelligence) has to be the bigger factor when you're willing to fork over chunks of your income for prolonged periods of time
Key word is willing. Only takes one bad week or month before some of these people are trapped in the cycle. Then they don't have a choice.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8754 on: April 16, 2024, 02:08:32 PM »
Key word is willing. Only takes one bad week or month before some of these people are trapped in the cycle. Then they don't have a choice.

Do you genuinely think thst more than 50% of people who use these things can't make it another several days without the check?

Like I 1000% acknowledge that excrement hits the fan and some people have no choice.

But most of the time you're talking about someone who still manages to pay for their iPhone/cigarettes/beer/cigarettes/drugs/guns/lottery tickets whatever nonsense

The reality is the vast majority of time people are using these services is just a stupid thing

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8755 on: April 21, 2024, 03:03:32 PM »
No funding shall be made available to Ukraine unless restrictions on ethnic minorities’, including Hungarians in Transcarpathia, right to use their native languages in schools are lifted.

Anyone want to take a guess where that's from? Anyone? That's right, it's from one of Marjorie Taylor-Greene's proposed amendments to the Ukraine bill that was passed yesterday. I'm a little surprised that the people from Georgia's 14th district are so concerned about Hungarian independence, but surely US politicians can't be proposing legislation written for them by Russian lobbyists keen to ensure that its far right allies continue to support their illegal invasion, would they?

I say that if she can point to Transcarpathia on a map then she should get her amendment considered.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

Tags: