Author Topic: NY Jets draft and reconstruction  (Read 111441 times)

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
NY Jets draft and reconstruction
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »
Slow times and slower times will beckon, but I think it would be interesting to discuss about what should de Jets do during the draft and free agency. I will start with my (limited) knowledge and I'll let the more knowledgeable guys (I'm looking at you Dreamers) to keep going.

QB: I would prefer us not to draft anyone and go with a veteran and the two young ones we have. Would Tyrod Taylor be a decent possibility? I would prefer him to Cutler or Romo as he would come cheaper. I'm not sold on any of the second tier ones though.

RB: I think we can survive with the two we have, although someone in the latter rounds of the draft could come in handy.

OL: The biggest priority. Carpenter and Shell will stay. I'd like Mangold to stay provided he takes a pay cut and move Johnson to guard. Let's see what happens with Winters. We would obviously need a LT after that and none seems to be good enough to reach for at 6. Any idea of latter rounds or veterans?

WR: I know I'm well in the minority here but I'd like both Marshall and Decker to stay, provided Marshall takes a pay cut. If not, good riddance. All the others should stay too.

TE: I'd like to keep Seferian-Jenkins and Tomlinson and add a good one on the draft.

DL: There's a problem with trading Sheldon and it's that he would probably give us less in return than what we'd get for him if we let him walk next year. Let's see how that situation pans out. Williams and Mo will obviously stay and I liked what I saw of Simon and McLendon (before his injury). Lawrence Thomas was interesting as well before getting hurt.

OLB: We're in deep excrement there. It seems Mauldin and Jenkins could be decent but not much more than that. The rest are garbage. I'd like us to address that position at 6 once and for all although last time we drafted one so high it was the worst bust in franchise history (Gholston).

ILB: I'd like to resign Harris at the right price. He's declining a bit but still busting his derriere on every snap, let's hope Lee polishes his flaws.

S: I don't know what to think of Pryor, I expected this to be his year but he was a mess, although the putrid state of our CBs didn't help. We need to get another one on FA as neither Miles nor Middleton are starting caliber.

CB: Goodbye Revis. Burn the unit to the ground and start anew. Trading down a bit to get Humphrey sounds like a good plan. Maybe keep Burris and Williams. In an ideal world, Skrine would stay to play exclusively in the slot.

Special teams: I'd like Folk to stay provided he agrees to a paycut. Bring some competition at P. Getting some decent depth players would be nice too to prevent the usual shitstorm.

So, to summarize.

I'd like to address the following positions at the draft: OLB, CB (x2), LT, TE, RB (late), S (late).
Free agency: QB, CB, S, OLB.

What do you guys think?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: NY Jets draft and reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
Sheldon needs to go.  You might only get a 3rd (comp pick) if you let him walk next year, and that would be a 2019 3rd.  That's assuming his comp. value isn't cancelled out by signing another player that offsets him (like Ivory this year).

Get what you can for him and move on.  We have three starting 3-4 DEs and only room for 2 to play.  The Jets sealed Sheldon's fate when they resigned Mo.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
Sheldon needs to go.  You might only get a 3rd (comp pick) if you let him walk next year, and that would be a 2019 3rd.  That's assuming his comp. value isn't cancelled out by signing another player that offsets him (like Ivory this year).

Get what you can for him and move on.  We have three starting 3-4 DEs and only room for 2 to play.  The Jets sealed Sheldon's fate when they resigned Mo.

The thing is that other teams know that we don't really need him and probably want to unload him. Doesn't really help in our negotiations.
"Wrong!"

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
The thing is that other teams know that we don't really need him and probably want to unload him. Doesn't really help in our negotiations.
Teams will be betting against each other though

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
Teams will be betting against each other though

What Pope said. 

Tommy is right if we are negotiating with only one team.  If a few teams get interested, things could get good for the Jets.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 10:53:56 AM »
QB: I would prefer us not to draft anyone and go with a veteran and the two young ones we have. Would Tyrod Taylor be a decent possibility? I would prefer him to Cutler or Romo as he would come cheaper. I'm not sold on any of the second tier ones though.

Rather keep Fitz than any of those options, just not as starter. Really don't want Taylor.

RB: I think we can survive with the two we have, although someone in the latter rounds of the draft could come in handy.

Big need for us. Powell and Forte are both good but too similar, we really need a downhill runner to do a lot of the dirty work. I'd let Forte go if we got a reasonable trade offer.

OL: The biggest priority. Carpenter and Shell will stay. I'd like Mangold to stay provided he takes a pay cut and move Johnson to guard. Let's see what happens with Winters. We would obviously need a LT after that and none seems to be good enough to reach for at 6. Any idea of latter rounds or veterans?

Winters is the priority. Keeping Clady on a reduced deal might be our best LT option. I'm happy with drafting more if there's value in mid/late rounds.

WR: I know I'm well in the minority here but I'd like both Marshall and Decker to stay, provided Marshall takes a pay cut. If not, good riddance. All the others should stay too.

The unit about which I have most optimism. I'm not in a hurry to get rid of anyone, and I wouldn't sign any more unless an unmissable steal becomes available in the draft.

TE: I'd like to keep Seferian-Jenkins and Tomlinson and add a good one on the draft.

No feelings about Tomlinson but ASJ definitely showed me enough that I want to see what he can do with a full pre-season. Reasonably high draft priority.

DL: There's a problem with trading Sheldon and it's that he would probably give us less in return than what we'd get for him if we let him walk next year. Let's see how that situation pans out. Williams and Mo will obviously stay and I liked what I saw of Simon and McLendon (before his injury). Lawrence Thomas was interesting as well before getting hurt.

You can't turn down a trade offer because you think you'll get a better comp pick in two years' time. I wouldn't be hugely shocked if it ends up being Wilk we trade though.

OLB: We're in deep excrement there. It seems Mauldin and Jenkins could be decent but not much more than that. The rest are garbage. I'd like us to address that position at 6 once and for all although last time we drafted one so high it was the worst bust in franchise history (Gholston).

ILB: I'd like to resign Harris at the right price. He's declining a bit but still busting his derriere on every snap, let's hope Lee polishes his flaws.

Agreed on both. Pass rush continues to be an issue and is a major draft priority.

S: I don't know what to think of Pryor, I expected this to be his year but he was a mess, although the putrid state of our CBs didn't help. We need to get another one on FA as neither Miles nor Middleton are starting caliber.

Miles is not a terrible player, Revis is the wildcard here. Until we know what we're doing with him it's hard to make a call. I was deeply unimpressed with Gilchrist this year, but the whole secondary seemed to suffer the same malaise. New DB coach might make a difference.

CB: Goodbye Revis. Burn the unit to the ground and start anew. Trading down a bit to get Humphrey sounds like a good plan. Maybe keep Burris and Williams. In an ideal world, Skrine would stay to play exclusively in the slot.

Burris looks promising and I thought that Roberts showed signs of being able to play. I have never been convinced by Marcus Williams but again, it's almost impossible to judge anyone on this year's showing.

Special teams: I'd like Folk to stay provided he agrees to a paycut. Bring some competition at P. Getting some decent depth players would be nice too to prevent the usual shitstorm.

Aussie P had some horrible kicks but he wasn't terrible. ST was pretty solid overall, I think. Need to figure out our PR/KR situation though as it was a revolving door this year.

So, to summarize.

I'd like to address the following positions at the draft: OLB, CB (x2), LT, TE, RB (late), S (late).
Free agency: QB, CB, S, OLB.

What do you guys think?

I think that I trust Mac to figure it out.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »
JE, I don't know how the money works if Mo were traded.  For some reason, I don't think you can trade signing bonus cash, so the Jets might have to eat a lot of money to trade him this year.  I may be wrong on that, but I think it would be hard to trade him unless he becomes a cancer.

Edit:  I'm probably wrong about bonus money, but I found this from Dick Cimini...

@RichCimini: There is virtually no chance of trading Muhammad Wilkerson. His contract makes it prohibitive and his play this season won't attract many suitors. As Sheldon Richardson noted the other day, he probably will be the "odd-man out," not Wilkerson or Leonard Williams.

From a salary-cap standpoint, the Jets would get hit with a $12 million dead charge in 2017 by trading Wilkerson, meaning they'd save $6 million because his cap charge is $18 million. But that's not even the biggest issue. They'd have to find a team willing to pick up the remaining four years of his contract -- a total of $64 million, including a fully guaranteed $14.75 million in 2017.

That's not happening.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:39:34 AM by bojanglesman »

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »
1-Trade our good players for draft picks
2-Draft bums
3-Be terrible again
4-Fire everyone
5-Repeat
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »
2-Draft bums
3-Be terrible again
4-Fire everyone
5-Repeat

This is not funny, I've seen this movie too many times already
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
2-Draft bums
3-Be terrible again
4-Fire everyone
5-Repeat

1. Richardson is a bum
2. Duffs record says otherwise
3. The Jets aren't good anyway.
4. Whiner
5. SOJF
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 12:39:34 PM »

Are we sure Tyrod will cost less than Cutler? Cutler's market might not be what we think it's going to be. Tyrod would be our best QB in a decade, so I would love to get someone like him. I don't get why half the board hates him.
Yep. We have 2 RBs we can live with that are under contract. It's a great RB draft, so I wouldn't mind getting someone to be the guy next year (and probably late this year), but I don't want to do that in round 1.
I'd like to bring back Johnson in the interior. I'm okay if we go into next year with Shell and a veteran backup at RT. We definitely need to find an LT from somewhere - not entirely sure where.

I thought Decker was a goner when he got hurt. But with all the locker room fighting with Marshall and others, I think Marshall has to go. Not to mention, his production on the field was terrible this year. He's going to be 33 next year. I'd rather play Enunwa and Anderson and the other kids. With so many needs on this team, WR is a clear spot where we can save money to look elsewhere.
I think I might prefer a veteran TE. I haven't looked at the options, but we need a starting TE. I don't know if either of these guys are starters short-term or long-term.

Either Marshall or Richardson has to go. I don't know how you could have followed this team this year and advocate for both to come back. I like Sheldon a lot as a player, but I think we need to sell low on him. As long as we get at least a 4th-round pick, I would move on from him and reallocate resources elsewhere.

I'd be fine with an edge rusher at 6. Between Jenkins and Mauldin, we have to hope that one of them can be a starting OLB next year. Have the other compete with a veteran or a draft pick.

Key word is the "right price." But I do think we could use some veteran leadership on defense since we don't have much. Lee obviously has the other spot.

Pryor was a mess this year. I'd be okay taking a safety at 6 if the right one is there. Revis is an option if he takes a significant pay cut, but the Jets need to make a hard decision on whether or not

CB is absolutely a potential spot for us at 6 or in the 1st round. I wouldn't mind drafting more than one CB in this draft. It's a good class.

If I'm Nick Folk, I'm not agreeing to a pay cut. He's played well here, and someone might pay him good kicker money. I would probably cut him and go cheaper. Edwards should have competition in camp, though cheap, young competition.

My bottom line strategy...

1. Target an edge rusher or a defensive back at 6 (unless there is an OT or QB worth the pick).

2. Let go of either Marshall or Decker. Put that money to use elsewhere, and let the young kids play a bigger role.

3. Sell low on Richardson, unless the offers are just so bad that it's not worth it. And even then, the Jets may decide the locker room is better without him. I don't think Richardson and Wilkerson are good influences on each other.

4. Address QB somehow. I think Tyrod is the best option out there, but if all the big name QBs want big money, taking a flyer on a bargain bin veteran, or drafting someone is the right answer.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »
Are we sure Tyrod will cost less than Cutler? Cutler's market might not be what we think it's going to be. Tyrod would be our best QB in a decade, so I would love to get someone like him. I don't get why half the board hates him.

I don't hate him, I just think we've seen his ceiling and it isn't very high. I agree that he'll command a reasonable amount of money this offseason, and I don't think he'll be worth it. He is what we've seen he is, a good runner with a decent arm but he doesn't read defenses well and he doesn't make good decisions. I will be interested to see how he does when he doesn't have a Shady McCoy as his main distraction.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
Tyrod Taylor would struggle to do half of what Ryan Fitzpatrick did for this team as a stopgap in 2015.  This team needs to find a longterm starter at the position.  Taylor is a limited passer and you can't consistently win in this league with him. 

We need to give Christian Hackenberg a chance in 2016.  If things don't go well, we'll have a shot at Sam Darnold, Lamar Jackson, or Josh Allen. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
If we're dipping into the free agent stock and his price isn't out of control (which I don't expect it to be, but you never know) I wouldn't mind taking a look at Glennon. Otherwise like Heis said, give Hack the long look.

Can't emphasis enough at how much more of an attractive job this becomes next offseason when they have millions in cap room and possibly a top 5 pick in a good QB class, though I'm not very high on Jackson. Imagine if we also had a 6th overall pick from this year that showed ability in the cupboard as well.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »
If we're dipping into the free agent stock and his price isn't out of control (which I don't expect it to be, but you never know) I wouldn't mind taking a look at Glennon. Otherwise like Heis said, give Hack the long look.

Can't emphasis enough at how much more of an attractive job this becomes next offseason when they have millions in cap room and possibly a top 5 pick in a good QB class, though I'm not very high on Jackson. Imagine if we also had a 6th overall pick from this year that showed ability in the cupboard as well.

Of the available options I agree that Glennon is probably the most interesting, but he's not going to set my heart racing. I wouldn't be too upset though.

Tags: