Author Topic: NY Jets draft and reconstruction  (Read 113006 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: NY Jets draft and reconstruction
« Reply #765 on: September 13, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »
Regardless of your opinion of Darnold, drafting someone to replace him without

A) setting that rookie up to be able to achieve success

And/or

B) Seeing what the highly touted 3rd overall pick can actually do when he has teammates worthy of being in the NFL

Is malpractice.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #766 on: September 13, 2020, 06:43:36 PM »
You're correct that we've completely botched the development of Sam Darnold, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

If there is a quarterback we think is a can't-miss quarterback in the draft, and Darnold has a mediocre season, it will be hard to pass them up. Yes, you don't get the full picture of Darnold at the end of this season, but that's just another consequence of the poor development.

If we get the #1 pick, Trevor Lawrence is the pick. That will either have meant Darnold got hurt or sick or played poorly. Darnold would still be on the roster next season. We could either trade him right away, or we could keep him as the starter and tag-and-trade him after the season. We still would have a full complement of draft picks on top of that pick. Yes, there is a chance Darnold could break out in year 4 or later, but if he's bad enough where we get the #1 pick, the odds are stacked against it, and it happens elsewhere, we lost out. It still worked okay for the Chargers with Drew Brees and Philip Rivers.

Hopefully Darnold bounces back and shows he's the long-term answer. I still have faith. But it's not as steadfast as it was.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #767 on: September 13, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »
I'm not prepared to make any sweeping judgments about Darnold after this game. He had no help.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #768 on: September 13, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
Maybe the fact that the most successful QB in the last 20 years was a 6th round pick means that logic doesn't exactly lead to success.

Maybe doing the same excrement with [next guy] as with Darnold isn't a good move.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #769 on: September 13, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »
You're correct that we've completely botched the development of Sam Darnold, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

If there is a quarterback we think is a can't-miss quarterback in the draft, and Darnold has a mediocre season, it will be hard to pass them up.

You mean someone like Sam Darnold? Or are we going to retcon this like we were all concerned about his turnover rate at USC and his age and he was a gamble all along?

The problem is not the players we draft, at QB or receiver or anything else. The problem is we draft young guys with talent and give them to bad coaches to ruin. Drafting a new QB next year without fixing the actual problem is like trying to stop the Titanic from sinking by replacing the deckchairs. And I'm not talking about Gase when I say "the actual problem". He's just the latest symptom.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #770 on: September 13, 2020, 07:57:51 PM »
Assuming you mean the actual problem is the Johnson's, how do you propose we get rid of them?
Need a new one for a new board...

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #771 on: September 13, 2020, 08:05:01 PM »
Assuming you mean the actual problem is the Johnson's, how do you propose we get rid of them?

Accuse them of child trafficking on Facebook and let the dumbest people you went to high school with take them down

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #773 on: October 05, 2020, 01:25:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/michaeldavsmith/status/1313157233027543040?s=21
Running backs remain largely interchangeable.

This year is proving that as much as any other year. Yes, some are better than others, but blocking and scheme have so much to do with rushing success.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #774 on: October 05, 2020, 01:36:11 PM »
Running backs remain largely interchangeable.

This year is proving that as much as any other year. Yes, some are better than others, but blocking and scheme have so much to do with rushing success.

I've always felt this way. There was a time when Denver had a different back every year and they always got over 1,000 yards.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #775 on: October 05, 2020, 01:46:40 PM »
I've always felt this way. There was a time when Denver had a different back every year and they always got over 1,000 yards.

that's because Mike Shanahan was a HB whisperer. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #777 on: October 05, 2020, 02:00:06 PM »

They had a line, a system, and didn't fire their coach after an 0-1 start.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #778 on: October 05, 2020, 02:01:29 PM »
If Travis Etienne is on the board when we're on the clock with Seattle's pick, we should sprint to the podium.

RB is an extremely devalued position, but Etienne is a homerun threat in the run and pass games.  I think he'll be a top fifteen pick...
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #779 on: October 05, 2020, 02:02:31 PM »

Alex Gibbs was coaching the zone scheme before anyone else.  Those same concepts are what Kyle Shanahan is using in San Francisco. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: