Author Topic: NY Jets draft and reconstruction  (Read 112992 times)

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
Re: NY Jets draft and reconstruction
« Reply #705 on: January 25, 2020, 10:25:07 AM »
Quinnen Williams was considered the best player in the draft.

He was certainly worth the pick.

Expecting large sack totals out of him was always ridiculous.  He is a disruptive player and was elite against the run at times.

This. As fans we have to walk the fine line off expectation vs. realistic output. I know that's difficult given the Jets past history drafting in the past 10 years, and Leonard Williams, but expecting an interior lineman to dominate with sacks in his rookie season is just not something you see every day.

When on the field, he held his own and will likely grow into his role next season. He has plenty of time to mature and grow into a dominate force in both the run and pass game.

The only thing that was mildly concerning was his playing time, but I still think Q is going to be an elite player in the near future.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #706 on: January 25, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »

Expecting large sack totals out of him was always ridiculous.  He is a disruptive player and was elite against the run at times.

Not trying to start an argument here, but Leonard Williams received that tag as well.

I also don’t think there is any way Quinnen was clearly a better prospect than Bosa.  If you want to say they graded out equal/similar, I’m fine with that. Moot point because Bosa was gone.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:25:41 AM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #707 on: January 25, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »
Should prob just keep my mouth shut but I would feel better going into this offseason with Josh Allen/Brian Burns and a iDL group of McClendon/Shepherd/Fatukasi/Philips/Anderson.

Hopefully Quinnen turns into the next Aaron Donald or Fletcher Cox so I can shut the freak up.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #708 on: January 25, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
Shepherd and Fatukasi were not good in 2018.

There was no reason to have any faith in those guys before the Quinnen pick

Phillips probably doesn’t make the team if we draft any OLB other than Polite’s sorry derriere
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #709 on: January 25, 2020, 12:14:36 PM »
Shepherd and Fatukasi were not good in 2018.

There was no reason to have any faith in those guys before the Quinnen pick

Phillips probably doesn’t make the team if we draft any OLB other than Polite’s sorry derriere
We could probably sign Polite back real cheap.  #Capchess

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #710 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »
I didn't know which Williams reuben was referring to.

My point is simply that needing a position doesn't make a player better just because you drafted him high to fill the need. It's how you end up with inferior players.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #711 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
i want somebody to bring up the list of names we could have drafted instead of wasting that pic on that piece of excrement polite

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #712 on: January 25, 2020, 01:33:23 PM »
I didn't know which Williams reuben was referring to.

I was referring to both Williams's and I don't want to derail this conversation into a debate about Q's future which, for the record, I believe is bright, but the fact of the matter is he was outperformed as a rookie by a variety of JO-favorite guys that would have been considered reaches at the time.  Two of Heismanberg's favorites, Metcalf and Taylor, guys that scared the excrement out of me as prospects, would have been ASTRONOMICALLY high reaches in hindsight: DK Metcalf looked raw as freak this season and still put up 900 yards and Jawaan Taylor played every single snap for JAX.  My guy, Josh Allen, did OK too.  Any of those three guys puts us in a better situation going into 2020 than the safest pick in the draft.  That's the bottom line.

BPA's for pussies like Mike Maccagnan who want to have a sound reason for failing.  Let's go get some freaking linemen. 

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #713 on: January 25, 2020, 09:04:48 PM »
I was referring to both Williams's and I don't want to derail this conversation into a debate about Q's future which, for the record, I believe is bright, but the fact of the matter is he was outperformed as a rookie by a variety of JO-favorite guys that would have been considered reaches at the time.  Two of Heismanberg's favorites, Metcalf and Taylor, guys that scared the excrement out of me as prospects, would have been ASTRONOMICALLY high reaches in hindsight: DK Metcalf looked raw as freak this season and still put up 900 yards and Jawaan Taylor played every single snap for JAX.  My guy, Josh Allen, did OK too.  Any of those three guys puts us in a better situation going into 2020 than the safest pick in the draft.  That's the bottom line.

BPA's for pussies like Mike Maccagnan who want to have a sound reason for failing.  Let's go get some freaking linemen. 

QFT

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #714 on: January 25, 2020, 09:39:50 PM »
i want somebody to bring up the list of names we could have drafted instead of wasting that pic on that piece of excrement polite

We didn't know this at the time but it's fair to say that literally any player selected after him would have been a better pick
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #715 on: January 26, 2020, 10:45:38 AM »
I'm not advocating for straight up BPA like another D line or safety, just don't think it's smart to reach for one specific position and take a player not worth the pick. We have enough need positions that we should be able to fill one correctly at #11. I really hope it's O line, particularly OT, but we probably won't know that until we're on the clock.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #716 on: January 27, 2020, 11:33:59 PM »

To be fair I thought we were talking about Leonard Williams

While I'm not optimistic on Quennin, this year was a excrement show for the whole team and he was a rookie. I'm not going to complain about the pick unless he looks like a bag of dicks next year

But I'm not going to be inspired or excited about the pick until he shows that he's at least worth a second contract
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:37:11 PM by dcm1602 »

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #717 on: January 28, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »
I wouldn't call Q a excrement show. He didn't dominate but he was a rookie in a tough position, he did contribute to a solid run D. Whatever happened with Leonard can't be held against Q.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #718 on: January 28, 2020, 08:12:09 AM »
I wouldn't call Q a excrement show. He didn't dominate but he was a rookie in a tough position, he did contribute to a solid run D. Whatever happened with Leonard can't be held against Q.

I was referring to the whole team as a excrement show

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #719 on: January 28, 2020, 08:14:43 AM »
I was referring to the whole team as a excrement show

I see. Still disagree, first half of the season and the previous three years, yes. I feel like we rallied from excrement show status, finally, hoping we build on it. The D certainly held up their end with Q in the middle of it.

Tags: