Author Topic: NY Jets draft and reconstruction  (Read 112887 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: NY Jets draft and reconstruction
« Reply #1365 on: December 26, 2023, 12:34:47 PM »
Cap is real. The Saints have lost a lot of players in the last few years and they haven't really been able to be competitive in a while. The Rams are now playing with 3 studs and 50 nobodies (who turned out to be good thanks to McVay). There are teams that navigate it better in the short term but in the long term it's more than real.

If a team can draft really well, it masks some of the cap problems for a while. 

The Saints have a few guys they have had for 800 years and just signed them to absurd contracts that they push down the road every year.  They have to do that at this point, they can't create cap space any other way.  Cam Jordan, Kamara, Ramczyk, Peat, Lattimore, all lifers there, 7 + years.  Eventually these guys and others won't be there anymore and will fall on the dead money pile.  Admittedly, they've been at this game for a long time, but threading the needle gets harder every year.  Every year they either have to have a good draft with multiple day 1 starters, rely an abnormal amount on old players, or just suck at a position.  Drew Brees also covered their derriere a lot.  They've been mediocre at best for 3 years now.

That being said, there are plenty of other teams that manage the cap well and suck just as bad or worse, so that method isn't much better either.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1366 on: December 26, 2023, 12:55:52 PM »
The Saints are something like $90M over the cap for next year as things stand.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1367 on: December 26, 2023, 04:31:15 PM »
The Saints are something like $90M over the cap for next year as things stand.

And they have been for years. Yet going back to like 2010 they have been a competitive group right up until Brees aged out of effectiveness. Since then they haven’t been good, but just dropped $150 million on Carr (only to watch him suck)

My larger point is not “We can be the saints!” It’s “if the saints can keep pushing things around to continue adding pieces, we can too. And I fully expect us to do it this offseason.
Need a new one for a new board...

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1368 on: December 26, 2023, 05:31:27 PM »
The most Saints thing we should have done was sign Demario Davis to another contract.

I'm committed to dying on this hill and already have my grave site picked out.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1369 on: December 26, 2023, 06:01:03 PM »
And they have been for years. Yet going back to like 2010 they have been a competitive group right up until Brees aged out of effectiveness. Since then they haven’t been good, but just dropped $150 million on Carr (only to watch him suck)

My larger point is not “We can be the saints!” It’s “if the saints can keep pushing things around to continue adding pieces, we can too. And I fully expect us to do it this offseason.
I'm not worried at all about the Jets ability to create cap space this offseason. They have ways to clear money. And like you said, the Saints have done similar to this for years.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1370 on: December 26, 2023, 06:02:05 PM »

Lots of teams push contracts for a playoff run.  The Saints think that is every year.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1371 on: December 26, 2023, 06:03:47 PM »
I'm not worried at all about the Jets ability to create cap space this offseason. They have ways to clear money. And like you said, the Saints have done similar to this for years.

Yep, they can do what they need.  They don't need to do much on the defensive side.  It's basically 70% offensive line.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1372 on: December 26, 2023, 07:03:18 PM »
Lots of teams push contracts for a playoff run.  The Saints think that is every year.

Yes. And for us, that year is absolutely next year. We haven’t done much if any gymnastics just yet. If we want to go for it, we have a excrement ton of gymnastics we can do instead to really go crazy this off-season
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: