Author Topic: 2017 NFL Draft Prospect Discussion  (Read 44824 times)

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
Re: 2017 NFL Draft Prospect Discussion
« Reply #330 on: April 20, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »
I've been listening to alot of draft podcasts and people keep complaining about Mike Williams route running which makes sense given the offense Clemson runs. 

Do you guys think this is a real risk?  Past Clemson wide recievers have been fine thus far, but I'm not sure Williams is as talented as Nuk, Bryant, Watkins

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #331 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »
I've been listening to alot of draft podcasts and people keep complaining about Mike Williams route running which makes sense given the offense Clemson runs. 

Do you guys think this is a real risk?  Past Clemson wide recievers have been fine thus far, but I'm not sure Williams is as talented as Nuk, Bryant, Watkins

Martavis Bryant can only run one route.

Mike Williams has tons of talent - his route running is fine and he is dominant as a possession receiver.  If he didn't get hurt in 2015, he'd be considered a Top 5 pick right now. 

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #332 on: April 20, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #333 on: April 20, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »
Martavis Bryant can only run one route.

Mike Williams has tons of talent - his route running is fine and he is dominant as a possession receiver.  If he didn't get hurt in 2015, he'd be considered a Top 5 pick right now.

I definitely agree that Williams is a far superior prospect than MBryant was.
IMO, Watkins and Nuk were better draft prospects (esp Watkins). I think Williams has Dez Bryant-type best-case-scenario upside, but I'm not blown away enough to be super excited with taking him at 6.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #334 on: April 20, 2017, 04:12:29 PM »
Alabama ILB Reuben Foster failed his Combine drug test.

Foster's sample was diluted, which counts as a failed test. He's now in the league's substance-abuse program. Foster claims he failed the test because he was extremely ill and taking in an exceptional amount of fluids. This adds to a nightmare Combine for Foster, who was sent home after getting into an altercation with a hospital worker. Foster is recovering from shoulder surgery. Foster is an elite talent, but could fall to Day 2 because of his growing off-the-field concerns.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #335 on: April 20, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »
Alabama ILB Reuben Foster failed his Combine drug test.

Foster's sample was diluted, which counts as a failed test. He's now in the league's substance-abuse program. Foster claims he failed the test because he was extremely ill and taking in an exceptional amount of fluids. This adds to a nightmare Combine for Foster, who was sent home after getting into an altercation with a hospital worker. Foster is recovering from shoulder surgery. Foster is an elite talent, but could fall to Day 2 because of his growing off-the-field concerns.

Come to Duff in the second......

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #336 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »
"NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein reports there is "buzz" Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey will be the only running backs selected in the first round.

That would mean Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, and Joe Mixon all falling out of the first round. Kamara has production questions and Mixon has serious off-field concerns, so it will not be a surprise if they fall. However, Cook lasting until the second day would be a shock. Zierlein writes Cook is "clearly a first-rounder based on talent alone," but some teams have "concerns surrounding durability and character" while others are worried about his testing numbers. Cook tested as a ninth-percentile SPARQ athlete at the Combine."

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #337 on: April 20, 2017, 09:07:48 PM »
"Florida State's Dalvin Cook and LSU's Leonard Fournette reportedly scored a 12 on the Wonderlic test, which is given at the NFL combine each year to draft prospects. Oklahoma's Joe Mixon and NC State's Matt Dayes each had 12s.

The Wonderlic scores were reported by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel as part of its pre-draft running back analysis. Not all of the running backs' Wonderlic results were posted. Some others: Tennessee's Alvin Kamara had a 24, while Stanford's Christian McCaffrey had a 21."

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »
Mel Kiper's 3 round mock has Dalvin Cook at 49 to the redskins

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »
Mel Kiper's 3 round mock has Dalvin Cook at 49 to the redskins

I think there's a very realistic chance that he could fall, especially if Christian McCaffrey comes off the board first.

Even with what Zeke did this year, the position is still undervalued and his off the field stuff probably has him down on a lot of boards.

I'll take him in the second...

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #340 on: April 21, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
I think there's a very realistic chance that he could fall, especially if Christian McCaffrey comes off the board first.

Even with what Zeke did this year, the position is still undervalued and his off the field stuff probably has him down on a lot of boards.

I'll take him in the second...

I don't think it's a stretch that McCaffery comes off the board first, I just find it hard to think that he makes it back to our pick. Please happen

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »
I don't think it's a stretch that McCaffery comes off the board first, I just find it hard to think that he makes it back to our pick. Please happen

We'll probably pass on him for a QB and I will kill myself

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #342 on: April 21, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »

I would be ok with it for Mahomes but he's not making it out of the 1st so it would be for Kizer or Watson so yes I would kill myself

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
"Florida State's Dalvin Cook and LSU's Leonard Fournette reportedly scored a 12 on the Wonderlic test, which is given at the NFL combine each year to draft prospects. Oklahoma's Joe Mixon and NC State's Matt Dayes each had 12s.

The Wonderlic scores were reported by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel as part of its pre-draft running back analysis. Not all of the running backs' Wonderlic results were posted. Some others: Tennessee's Alvin Kamara had a 24, while Stanford's Christian McCaffrey had a 21."

RB isn't a position I particularly care too much how smart a player is, even if those numbers are accurate or even reflect their intelligence at all.  Just hand big dummy the ball and let his instincts take over.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #344 on: April 21, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »

There are a growing number of scenarios that end in your suicide with this draft.

RB isn't a position I particularly care too much how smart a player is, even if those numbers are accurate or even reflect their intelligence at all.  Just hand big dummy the ball and let his instincts take over.

Yeah, I really don't see the point of having a particularly brilliant RB. "Take ball, avoid tackles." What else does he need to think about?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: