Poll

If you were the GM of the Jets this offseason, how would you spend your draft picks

Trading up for a Quarterback
Loading up on offensive talent to draft a quarterback in the following year

Author Topic: Jets Draft Strategy  (Read 31026 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets Draft Strategy
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
Yes, he was.  He was drafted to play nickel corner.  That's not a starting position. 

Mike Tannenbaum thought it was the way to get by Peyton Manning in the playoffs.  Most of his moves were reactionary.

I think having one of the best slot receivers of all time in our division surely was a factor as well.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »
I strongly doubt the Jets trade up in the first. It doesn't seem like Idziks philosophy. If the team directly in front of us might draft our guy and we jump up 2 or 3 spots that's one thing. But really moving up 4-5+ spots. I don't think so

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »
I strongly doubt the Jets trade up in the first. It doesn't seem like Idziks philosophy. If the team directly in front of us might draft our guy and we jump up 2 or 3 spots that's one thing. But really moving up 4-5+ spots. I don't think so

"Move of 3 spots?  Fine by me... Move up 4 spots?  No freaking way!" 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
"Move of 3 spots?  Fine by me... Move up 4 spots?  No freaking way!" 

Yeah that's how I read that too...

Frankly if we think a guy is a legit franchise QB who can lead this team out of a hell hole, go get him within reason, I'm not saying trade everything for him or jumping 15 spots (yes I realized we won't be 15 spots from #1 I'm generalizing here) but if it is even remotely within reason, it needs to be done.
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
I strongly doubt the Jets trade up in the first. It doesn't seem like Idziks philosophy.

I seem to recall this conversation before. How the freak do we know what Idzik's philosophy is when he has been a GM for less than a year and he rarely says a word to the press?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
Go full Colts 2012. 1.) QB 2.) WR 3.) TE 3.)WR

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
Go full Colts 2012. 1.) QB 2.) WR 3.) TE 3.)WR

I'm with you, babbie

However, their OL is a goddamned mess right now.  The Jets have cash to build it up though.  I would rather see experienced protection signed in free agency and young skill positions brought in through the draft.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
I'm with you, babbie

However, their OL is a goddamned mess right now.  The Jets have cash to build it up though.  I would rather see experienced protection signed in free agency and young skill positions brought in through the draft.

Take your pick. Jared Veldheer is the one that stands out for me.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2014

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
Take your pick. Jared Veldheer is the one that stands out for me.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2014

I want to see how he recovers from that injury.  He has a chance to make a lot of money against us. 

We need interior linemen more than tackles. 

casman02

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 05:38:03 PM »
Who are the QBs in 2015? Obviously we do not know what junior QBs are declaring yet in 2013, but just a general list? I am guessing Jameis hopefully rapeless Winston. Kevin Hogan, if he does not declare. Hundley, Braxton Miller?

Anyway, I think I am leaning toward getting the weapons first this year and then finding our QB if necessary next year. This may be the way I always looked at the draft, but I always liked weapons more than quarterbacks. (Additionally I think it would just make me hate last year's pick even more). I am not totally ready to quit on him yet, especially knowing he was a project when we picked him.

I really want to go WR and TE with the first 2 picks. A combination of Watkins, Lee, Evans, Mathews, Adams, Robertson, Richardson, Beckham, Amaro, Ebron, ASF will likely make me happy. Maybe a rush linebacker and a centerfield free safety who can actually move with the third round picks. Then look hope for a diamond in the rough somewhere, ideally as a WR.

But we still got a long time before the draft

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
Who are the QBs in 2015? Obviously we do not know what junior QBs are declaring yet in 2013, but just a general list? I am guessing Jameis hopefully rapeless Winston. Kevin Hogan, if he does not declare. Hundley, Braxton Miller?

Jameis Winston
Brett Hundley
Bryce Petty
Blake Bortles
Kevin Hogan
Devin Gardner

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »
Anyway, I think I am leaning toward getting the weapons first this year and then finding our QB if necessary next year. This may be the way I always looked at the draft, but I always liked weapons more than quarterbacks. (Additionally I think it would just make me hate last year's pick even more). I am not totally ready to quit on him yet, especially knowing he was a project when we picked him.

We have enough money and picks to surround someone with some help right away.  I can't see John Idzik going out and spending it all.  I'd like to see a top tier guard and a wide receiver signed to boost the offense.  Maybe a tight end too.  This team should be able to grab a quarterback and at least two quality skill position players with our first four picks. 

I'd still like to see someone like Josh McCown signed to hold the fort for a handful of games.

You go out and get someone like Dorial Green-Beckham or Amari Cooper in 2015, because this team is still a long ways from competing if we move on from certain contracts. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
I want to see how he recovers from that injury.  He has a chance to make a lot of money against us. 

We need interior linemen more than tackles.

Who, then?

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Who, then?

Jon Asomoah (Kansas City)
Zane Beadles (Denver)
Kevin Boothe (New York Giants)