Author Topic: Oh?ffensive Line  (Read 183162 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Offensive Line
« Reply #345 on: October 28, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
I'm not anti-Douglas but before we go tooting his horn about his eye for OL talent, let's not forget he handed Kalil $8.4MM to come out of retirement. Harrison shows no dropoff when he comes in for him and was already under contract.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #346 on: October 28, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
I'm not anti-Douglas but before we go tooting his horn about his eye for OL talent, let's not forget he handed Kalil $8.4MM to come out of retirement. Harrison shows no dropoff when he comes in for him and was already under contract.

Right but I think he saw the need right away to upgrade the line so he took a chance. That was my point, it didn't work but he at least addressed it with limited options by the time he got in the job.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #347 on: October 28, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »
Right but I think he saw the need right away to upgrade the line so he took a chance. That was my point, it didn't work but he at least addressed it with limited options by the time he got in the job.

He took an eight and half million dollar chance. Presumably, they gave Kalil a workout beforehand, no? What did he show there that he can't seem to do on the field to earn that payday? And how much better did he look there than Harrison had already shown?

Again, I'm not trying to knock Douglas. I'm just saying let's temper expectations.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #348 on: October 28, 2019, 11:53:22 AM »
He took an eight and half million dollar chance. Presumably, they gave Kalil a workout beforehand, no? What did he show there that he can't seem to do on the field to earn that payday? And how much better did he look there than Harrison had already shown?

Again, I'm not trying to knock Douglas. I'm just saying let's temper expectations.

Kalil played a long time in the league, I think it was based on that. Again, silver lining to me is he saw and addressed a need on the O-line.

Hopefully there will be a top 5 OT when we get there this time, and we don't go D line again. As much as I love D line.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #349 on: October 28, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »

Kalil was a low risk dart throw. We had an all time bad center last year and didn’t land either of the 2 big C FA targets in the offseason. At very worst, Kalil is a smart player who should help Darnold learn. There really wasn’t much else Douglas could do to upgrade the line by the time he got here. It was worth the risk.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #350 on: October 28, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
Kalil played a long time in the league, I think it was based on that. Again, silver lining to me is he saw and addressed a need on the O-line.

Hopefully there will be a top 5 OT when we get there this time, and we don't go D line again. As much as I love D line.
Kalil was a low risk dart throw. We had an all time bad center last year and didn’t land either of the 2 big C FA targets in the offseason. At very worst, Kalil is a smart player who should help Darnold learn. There really wasn’t much else Douglas could do to upgrade the line by the time he got here. It was worth the risk.

I'm honestly not knocking Douglas. I'm just trying to make the point that so far, we don't know if he will do a good job building the offensive line because the only guy he's brought in so far is Kalil.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #351 on: October 28, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »
I'm honestly not knocking Douglas. I'm just trying to make the point that so far, we don't know if he will do a good job building the offensive line because the only guy he's brought in so far is Kalil.

Kalil was a quick fix attempt.  I'm not sure i would hang that on Douglas's competence meter. I actually thought it was a good move at the time, it just didn't go our way.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #352 on: October 28, 2019, 02:26:26 PM »

He got Alex Lewis for a 7th round pick

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2019, 02:48:25 PM »
Kalil was a quick fix attempt.  I'm not sure i would hang that on Douglas's competence meter. I actually thought it was a good move at the time, it just didn't go our way.

I'm not sure how to express it more clearly, but I'm saying there currently is no competence meter. He hasn't had time to show us anything yet.

He got Alex Lewis for a 7th round pick

Fair enough. Basically another miniature-scale move. Still doesn't change my point that we need to see him actually draft some OL before we decide he can do it with any competency.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #354 on: October 28, 2019, 02:54:59 PM »
He absolutely hasn't had a chance to show us his competence. But the first true test will be what he does with Gase assuming this team doesn't have an epic turnaround.

A bigger concern is will the Jets really fire Gase, go out and spend huge money on a top coaching prospect, while still having to pay Gase AND Bowles their coaching salaries for next season? That's a lot of money, so contractually getting rid of Gase is pretty complicated

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #355 on: October 28, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »

I understand what you're saying, limited moves to evaluate, limited options to make a move. I just think it's good that the first thing he tried to fix was the O line, he's not wrong.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #356 on: October 28, 2019, 03:03:11 PM »
I hope Doug E Fresh doesn't get a boner for Trent Williams.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #357 on: October 28, 2019, 03:06:23 PM »
I hope Doug E Fresh doesn't get a boner for Trent Williams.

With a 1st round asking price I'd say it's fairly unlikely to happen.

A team like new England could be far more likely

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #358 on: November 03, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »
Brian Winters should be released before the team gets back to New Jersey
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington