Author Topic: Oh?ffensive Line  (Read 183102 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Offensive Line
« Reply #1995 on: April 28, 2023, 10:01:04 AM »
As soon as Wright and Skoronski flew off the board, we should have persuaded the Lions to give us 12. It shouldn't have cost much and they could have easily gotten Gibbs at 15. Both teams fucked up last night.
Lions wanted Gibbs. No way they would have wanted to trade below the Patriots. Patriots were heavily rumored to like Gibbs.

Also, we don't have many picks. Based on the Jimmy Johnson chart, we could have given up our 4 and both 5's, and it still wouldn't be enough to move up 3 spots.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 10:03:27 AM by Derek Smalls »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1996 on: April 28, 2023, 10:24:06 AM »
Also, we don't have many picks. Based on the Jimmy Johnson chart, we could have given up our 4 and both 5's, and it still wouldn't be enough to move up 3 spots.

Yeah, we just don't have the flexibility to move up in this draft.

It'd make a ton of sense for us to move some veterans for mid-rounders today and tomorrow.  We need to get cheaper and younger in some spots.  We also need to keep building longterm depth. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1997 on: April 28, 2023, 10:44:52 AM »
When was the last time we traded a vet for a mid round pick during the draft? I honestly cannot remember us doing that.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1998 on: April 28, 2023, 10:48:33 AM »
When was the last time we traded a vet for a mid round pick during the draft? I honestly cannot remember us doing that.
Feels like we typically do the opposite (trade the mid-round pick for a vet). But our roster usually sucks and has zero depth. Now we might actually have guys worth trading.

Huff seems like a guy who could be a trade option and have some value. Maybe Bryce Hall or Mims for like a 6th or 7th. Lawson and Davis are possible trade options. Obviously, Zach. Maybe Clemons if someone really likes him. And obviously Zach.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1999 on: April 28, 2023, 10:51:59 AM »
Feels like we typically do the opposite (trade the mid-round pick for a vet). But our roster usually sucks and has zero depth. Now we might actually have guys worth trading.

Huff seems like a guy who could be a trade option and have some value. Maybe Bryce Hall or Mims for like a 6th or 7th. Lawson and Davis are possible trade options. Obviously, Zach. Maybe Clemons if someone really likes him. And obviously Zach.

LMAO, Joe Douglas talking about how sitting behind Aaron Rodgers for two seasons would really help Zach only to trade him two days later would be funnier than him promising to do everything he could to protect Sam Darnold and then doing absolutely not that.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2000 on: April 28, 2023, 11:30:46 AM »
I also think it’s important to remember there are OL out there that can be signed as well.

George Fant and Cam Fleming are out there at tackle as is Ben Jones on the interior as well. And not that he’s exactly a prized choice but Jonah Williams is available via trade. All 3 guys have shown capability as starters in the league. We have pivot options available to us. It’s just not guys with long term futures here which we all wanted to get settled.

My point is not “let’s pass on OL” again at 43, but if it happens, or we get sniped again or trade out etc, there are vet options out there to improve the quality of the line and it’s depth top to bottom.

Still it’s definitely Bergeron Szn right now
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2001 on: April 28, 2023, 11:32:48 AM »
I also think it’s important to remember there are OL out there that can be signed as well.

George Fant and Cam Fleming are out there at tackle as is Ben Jones on the interior as well. And not that he’s exactly a prized choice but Jonah Williams is available via trade. All 3 guys have shown capability as starters in the league. We have pivot options available to us. It’s just not guys with long term futures here which we all wanted to get settled.

My point is not “let’s pass on OL” again at 43, but if it happens, or we get sniped again or trade out etc, there are vet options out there to improve the quality of the line and it’s depth top to bottom.

Still it’s definitely Bergeron Szn right now
And you could argue that any of those veterans would be better than any rookie offensive lineman in 2023.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2002 on: April 28, 2023, 02:46:15 PM »
Bergeron is the x factor

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2003 on: April 28, 2023, 03:31:34 PM »
Bergeron or my preferred Tyler Steen both have versatility and would be great picks for round 2. I don’t love Dawand Jones, personally, but I could see someone take him as a pure RT early in the second, as well.

If we go interior and kick AVT outside full time, there are a ton of good options.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2004 on: April 28, 2023, 04:46:07 PM »
AVT's versatility gives us so many options. I think we should plan on him being a guard, but if we need him to be a tackle, he can do that.

I think this draft is a perfect example of how that helps. We wanted an OT in round 1. None were there, so we didn't have to reach on one. Now we can either take a tier 2 OT or a tier 1 IOL and be fine either way IMO.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2005 on: April 28, 2023, 04:47:55 PM »
Bergeron is ideal because he fits into that "Best 5" role.  Tackle or guard.  Just get someone that can play.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #2006 on: April 28, 2023, 05:03:12 PM »
Bergeron is ideal because he fits into that "Best 5" role.  Tackle or guard.  Just get someone that can play.
Cody Mauch incoming....
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2007 on: April 28, 2023, 05:10:58 PM »
We can also be a little aggressive targeting right tackles who may be a little bit devalued. Becton, Brown and Mitchell all have LT abilities. All are question marks, but you think at least one of them can be healthy and competent. And if not, you have AVT as the emergency option. So we can target IOL and RT, which are usually easier to get.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2008 on: April 28, 2023, 07:03:36 PM »
There.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2009 on: April 28, 2023, 07:10:22 PM »
They took our boy 4 picke earlier lol

Oh well I love Tippman redemption song for JD lol

Tags: