Author Topic: Oh?ffensive Line  (Read 183025 times)

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: Offensive Line
« Reply #1530 on: December 15, 2021, 01:07:45 PM »
If anyone else has a guess, step in.

I think you've got it: we've got the beef up front to disrupt the blocking but nobody behind them to bring down the ball carrier.

I still really don't understand how we have a historically bad run defense with JFM, Q, and Foley on the line. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1531 on: December 15, 2021, 01:22:16 PM »
I think you've got it: we've got the beef up front to disrupt the blocking but nobody behind them to bring down the ball carrier.

I still really don't understand how we have a historically bad run defense with JFM, Q, and Foley on the line. 
Because our linebackers are hot garbage, and our defensive line is taught to focus on rushing the passer and getting up field over anything else.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1532 on: December 15, 2021, 02:16:14 PM »

That makes sense.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1533 on: December 15, 2021, 05:54:05 PM »

JFM should be an interior player most of the time.  We just don’t have the bodies to do that right now.

The constant rotation is frustrating.  Nathan Shepherd does not need to play meaningful snaps.  I’m fine with Q, Rankins, and Foley rotating.  But get Shepherd the freak off the field.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1534 on: December 15, 2021, 06:59:51 PM »
JFM should be an interior player most of the time.  We just don’t have the bodies to do that right now.

The constant rotation is frustrating.  Nathan Shepherd does not need to play meaningful snaps.  I’m fine with Q, Rankins, and Foley rotating.  But get Shepherd the freak off the field.
At this point I'd rather see Jonathan Marshall get some snaps since we are out of it anyway.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1535 on: December 16, 2021, 12:54:23 PM »
Because our linebackers are hot garbage, and our defensive line is taught to focus on rushing the passer and getting up field over anything else.

Mosley seems to be the only person who can tackle once anyone gets 2 yards past LOS.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1536 on: January 03, 2022, 02:08:47 PM »
Laken Tomlinson (SF) and Lucas Patrick (GB) will be a free agent guards in 2022. 

Under 30 scheme fits with starting experience

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1537 on: January 03, 2022, 02:11:06 PM »
We need to bring back LDT and Dan Feeney. 

Hopefully Fant's injury isn't significant.  That could change the blueprint a bit. 

Fant
AVT
McGovern
LDT
Becton

That is a good enough line to win in the NFL.  We've been mauling good defenses on the ground without Becton. 

We still need depth all across the line, but Feeney is valuable because he plays guard and center. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1538 on: January 03, 2022, 02:31:55 PM »
Not an ACL for Fant. Saleh said it's a reinjury from a previous knee issue and we'll know more Wednesday. So I assume it won't be a huge deal, but he said he'll know more Wednesday.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #1539 on: January 03, 2022, 08:06:29 PM »
Not an ACL for Fant. Saleh said it's a reinjury from a previous knee issue and we'll know more Wednesday. So I assume it won't be a huge deal, but he said he'll know more Wednesday.

I hope "not serious" means day to day. Not serious in the NFL could mean pretty much anything less than a tear. I guess it's good for next year.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1540 on: January 05, 2022, 06:15:49 PM »
Does anyone still have issues with how Joe Douglas has repaired the OL?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1541 on: January 05, 2022, 06:18:13 PM »
Does anyone still have issues with how Joe Douglas has repaired the OL?
Never did
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1542 on: January 05, 2022, 06:41:04 PM »
To recap the OL plan...

- Spend two 1st-round picks on OL, including trading up for one
- Signing George Fant to Connor McGovern to multi-year contracts
- Signing Morgan Moses for a bargain deal as insurance at OT, only to see him starting all season
- Signing/trading for Greg Van Roten, Dan Feeney, Josh Andrews, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif to try to get one startable OL out of the group
- Spending a 4th-round pick on Cameron Clark

We have 2 long-term pieces on the OL under contract for a bit (assuming Becton health). Fant and McGovern are reasonable starters under contract.

We've gone from an OL that had no hope even when fully healthy to an OL that is pushing people around in the running game despite missing multiple starters.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1543 on: January 05, 2022, 06:52:37 PM »
John Benton also deserves a lot of credit

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1544 on: January 05, 2022, 07:02:42 PM »
Greg Van Roten was starting in the beginning of the season, so yes.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Tags: