Author Topic: Oh?ffensive Line  (Read 182881 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Offensive Line
« Reply #1005 on: April 24, 2020, 06:12:25 PM »

LT:  Mekhi Becton
LG:  Alex Lewis
C:  Connor McGovern
RG:  Greg Van Roten
RT:  George Fant

Oreo OL

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1008 on: June 30, 2020, 11:56:02 AM »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1009 on: June 30, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »

Becton and Clark showing up to training camp with Sam
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1010 on: July 06, 2020, 01:21:42 PM »
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

27. NEW YORK JETS
The Jets have thrown plenty of resources at the offensive line this offseason, but question marks still abound. They finished just 28th in our 2019 rankings, and they will have at least three new starters in 2020.

First-round pick Mekhi Becton, a mauling run blocker who has some work to do in pass protection, is the likely starter at left tackle. Becton’s college film is rare, as the 6-foot-7, 360-pounder tossed college players around like high schoolers, but his mediocre 64.7 pass-blocking grade on true pass sets is a concern.

At right tackle, it’ll be a batter between free agent signing George Fant and second-year player Chuma Edoga. Fant has been a developmental project for the Seahawks, and his best work has come when playing as a sixth offensive lineman at tight end. Fant has an overall grade of just 47.6 when playing tackle, 86th out of 89 qualifiers dating back to 2016, so he remains a project. Edoga, on the other hand, was drafted in the third round back in 2019 and has potential as a pass-blocker after a strong career at USC. However, his first 421 NFL snaps did not go well, evidenced by his 48.9 overall grade and the six penalties called against him.

Both starting guards return in Alex Lewis and Brian Winters, but there’s plenty of competition on the inside — Lewis has yet to grade above 60.2 in three years of significant playing time, while Winters has graded above 70.0 just once in his career (2016).

Greg Van Roten comes in from Carolina, where he had a career year in 2019, finishing with a 65.6 overall grade that finished 24th among guards. Van Roten first entered the league in 2012 and has taken a roundabout path to becoming a starter, but he’s been solid over the last two years.

Center has been a huge problem spot for the team, so the Jets signed another player coming off a career year in Connor McGovern, whose 72.0 overall grade tied for ninth among centers during the 2019 regular season. However, McGovern posted a 48.9 grade in 2017 and a 58.8 mark in 2018, so New York will be hoping they got the 2019 version in free agency.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1011 on: July 06, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
PFF doesn't know what a true pass set is

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1012 on: July 06, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »
PFF is down on Becton or they might rank higher.

Quite frankly, unless Becton makes a big impact year 1, the starting OL unit isn't THAT much better on paper.

However, the depth of the unit makes me bullish we could finish 5-10 spots higher. Competition brings the best out of players. If one player is playing poorly, we have other options we can turn to that will likely play better. If we have a weak spot, we can replace that player with someone else who can hopefully provide replacement level value. This OL is a multi-year rebuild, but I like what Joe Douglas has done with the unit in the short term given what he inherited.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1013 on: September 09, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
Support the troops

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1014 on: September 09, 2020, 09:46:01 AM »
Quite frankly, unless Becton makes a big impact year 1, the starting OL unit isn't THAT much better on paper.

It's potentially a lot better when it comes to run blocking. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1015 on: September 09, 2020, 10:08:11 AM »
It's potentially a lot better when it comes to run blocking. 

Le'Veon Bell thanks Joe Douglas for his efforts.
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1016 on: September 09, 2020, 10:18:33 AM »
I think the one player that could really disappoint is Greg Van Roten, but he's a much better scheme fit than Brian Winters. 

Our OL is so much more athletic this year than it has been.  I'm expecting more chunk yardage runs this year than last.  The zone should be way more effective.  If not, we're in deep excrement. 

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1017 on: September 09, 2020, 10:25:13 AM »
Can't wait to see our new OL in action, especially Becton. We've wanted this for a long time.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1018 on: September 09, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
I think the one player that could really disappoint is Greg Van Roten, but he's a much better scheme fit than Brian Winters. 

Our OL is so much more athletic this year than it has been.  I'm expecting more chunk yardage runs this year than last.  The zone should be way more effective.  If not, we're in deep excrement. 

The Panthers fan I kind of know thinks that van Roten isn't very good, but I don't know how much I trust his judgement.

I think that all of them have the possibility of being failures. I have the highest hopes for Becton, obviously; I think McGovern is going to be solid, I don't rate Lewis much at all, and Fant feels like a huge gamble.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #1019 on: September 09, 2020, 10:33:26 AM »
I can't stress enough on how mere mediocrity is a gigantic upgrade from last years performance.

Tags: