Author Topic: Breece Hall of Justice - The Return  (Read 22841 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Breece Hall of Justice - The Return
« Reply #450 on: March 31, 2024, 01:16:11 PM »
With the new format, I would much rather have a running back return kicks than someone like Xavier Gipson.

Gipson can still return punts but there’s definitely added value in getting the ball in the hands of a more powerful runner with better vision…especially if the defense can’t move until the ball is touched.

Abanikanda is actually a really great prospect for that role.
I think Gipson has good vision, which is part of why he's a good returner. But great point about Abanikanda - that might be a great spot for him.

It's an interesting wrinkle though that I hadn't really considered. The skilset for a kick returner in 2024 may be different than the skillset for a kick returner in 2014.

It's fun having kick returns back in the game. When the Jets were good, Westhoff gave us a major edge. Our special teams have been a little inconsistent under Boyer, but we've also had some really good seasons there. But even Boyer's job is different now to learn how to adapt to the new rules.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Breece Hall of Justice - The Return
« Reply #451 on: March 31, 2024, 01:52:23 PM »
This shouldn't be anything a competent punt returner shouldn't be able to handle. As long as Gipson marginally improves his ability to secure the ball he should be fine; the coverage team can't move until he touches the ball.
This

Tags: