Author Topic: Nick Mangold is a King, will return next season  (Read 20884 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Offensive Line
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 09:56:16 AM »
I think it's fantastic that you pointed out his spelling of the cheese and not the other thing that he spelled. Hey, Puck, what exactly is "Hosrsecrap"?

I meant Hors d'oeuvre
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
If Mangold is still grading positively while the entire rest of the line is grading negatively it keeps me firmly believing that he's not the problem people insist he is.

Nicky week-to-week in 2013:

2012:

2011:

2010:

The big problem is Mangold's run blocking.  Run blocking isn't as mysterious as pass protection, where a blown assignment isn't always readily attributable to one lineman or the other.  There are certainly nuances, but you can generally spot the linemen who isn't moving their man on a run play.  And while Nick used to move Vince Wilfork regularly, he can barely move his bowels in 2013. 

Nick's PFF run-blocking grades:

2010: 23.6

2011: 20.9

2012: 15.8

2013: -14.4

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »
I can't see the images, but those grades certainly aren't good.

Still, that's a helluva fall off a high cliff. If I'm wrong, so be it. Smarter people than myself make the decisions. I still think that between an absolute lack of talent flanking him and a passing game that basically begs the defense to send 8 on every play, it's an uphill battle to play well.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
So... Matt Slauson.

I know he was mediocre, and the prevailing logic was that we could easily upgrade the position, but I really think we could have given him a new deal pretty cheaply. Mediocre would be nice to have right now.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »
A mediocre QB would be nice.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
People get into the "addition by subtraction" mindset far too easily. Getting rid of a guy who isn't playing up to expectations is easy. Getting an upgrade is not a given.

Though I am finally coming around to that line of thinking with Holmes - I just thought it was ridiculous when people were saying we should have gotten rid of him after 2011.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
So... Matt Slauson.

I know he was mediocre, and the prevailing logic was that we could easily upgrade the position, but I really think we could have given him a new deal pretty cheaply. Mediocre would be nice to have right now.

It's pretty true

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »
So... Matt Slauson.

But we only had limited money, so Stephen Peterman and Willie Colon and competition.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »
Oh c'mon, guys

Matt Slauson had to go because he was running his fat, stuttering mouth to the media with every chance that he got. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2013, 10:03:04 AM »
Oh c'mon, guys

Matt Slauson had to go because he was running his fat, stuttering mouth to the media with every chance that he got.

He doesn't seem to be having that problem in Chicago. I don't give a excrement if he trashed Tebow. He wasn't a cancer.

Not to mention we retained and even brought in other players who still say undesirable things to the press.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:14:01 AM by Badger »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »
He doesn't seem to be having that problem in Chicago. I don't give a excrement if he trashed Tebow. He wasn't a cancer.

He had something to say about everything, not just Tebow.  He was guaranteeing wins too.   

Anyone that runs their mouth to the media about a teammate or a decision is a cancer.  He just wasn't important or good enough for fans to care as much.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »
Slauson did run his mouth way way way too much.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
Slauson did run his mouth way way way too much.

For a below average player, he talked too much.  It might be fine for a team captain or an All-Pro to say some of these things, but Slauson was trash. 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »
And now he plays on one of the most effective pass blocking OLs, and we have one of the worst. Trestman must have an amazing recipe for chicken salad.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
And now he plays on one of the most effective pass blocking OLs, and we have one of the worst. Trestman must have an amazing recipe for chicken salad.

Weren't they one of the worst in 2012? 

They're starting two rookies on the right side of their line too.

Aaron Kromer for head coach!