Author Topic: Jets use franchise tag on Muhammad Wilkerson  (Read 29532 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Jets use franchise tag on Muhammad Wilkerson
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:55:34 PM »
$15.7M
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: Jets use franchise tag on Muhammad Wilkerson
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »
Is that good or bad?
"Wrong!"

casman02

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:09 PM »
A good thing. If nothing else he won't be walking away with the Jets getting nothing this year.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:39 PM »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:17:16 PM »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:01:56 AM »
The New York Post chose to title their article about this "Mo Problems."

DIAF

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 10:17:42 AM »
Good for now, he stays with the Jets.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »
I'm still trying to think of what teams have the cap space, the need for a defensive end, and the willingness to give up a 1st round draft pick.  I can't think of a team that fits that profile fully. 

I wonder if Duff would trade him for a 2nd and 4th or some other combination that isn't a first rounder. 

In the end, I think the Jets will be stuck with him on the tag this year and watch him leave next year.  I just don't know if a long term deal is realistic with the Jets based on media chatter (which may not even be true, who knows).

If we are going to ultimately lose him anyway, I'd rather just trade him.  Even if we don't get a first rounder, whatever we get would be better than a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2018 after he walks.  Plus we could more comfortably sign Snacks and Fitz with that $15 million tag value off the books.  I don't want Wilkerson to go, but at least we have his heir apparent on the team with a solid year under his belt and a cheaper price tag for years to come.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 05:48:18 PM »
The problem with your line of thinking, is this year we are going all in for a ring this year.

I know we aren't really ready yet, but we are.

After this year we will be shedding a bunch of older guy salaries and need to replace so many guys it's almost impossible (right now) to see how 2017 won't be a step backwards from what we expect 2016 to be.

It all starts with the QB and I can't imagine anybody expects a 35 YO Fitz to be our starter going into 2017. Then you account for Brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis, Gilchrist, Marshall, Wilkerson/Richardson all being guys that could conceivably not be on the 2017 roster, and it's easy to see why we are trying to hang onto everyone for this year to try and go all in and try to get some breaks.
Need a new one for a new board...

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
The problem with your line of thinking, is this year we are going all in for a ring this year.

I know we aren't really ready yet, but we are.

After this year we will be shedding a bunch of older guy salaries and need to replace so many guys it's almost impossible (right now) to see how 2017 won't be a step backwards from what we expect 2016 to be.

It all starts with the QB and I can't imagine anybody expects a 35 YO Fitz to be our starter going into 2017. Then you account for Brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis, Gilchrist, Marshall, Wilkerson/Richardson all being guys that could conceivably not be on the 2017 roster, and it's easy to see why we are trying to hang onto everyone for this year to try and go all in and try to get some breaks.

This has to be the organization's thinking as well. It's the first two Rex years all over again. 2018 is going to be painful if Maccagnan doesn't hit it out of the park in the draft these next couple of years.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:26 PM »
This has to be the organization's thinking as well. It's the first two Rex years all over again. 2018 is going to be painful if Maccagnan doesn't hit it out of the park in the draft these next couple of years.

#FireEveryone
#SueEveryone
#ImVeryInjured
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 12:44:29 PM »
It's the first two Rex years all over again.

How? 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
If any GM doesn't draft well, he is in trouble.  I don't see how that is specific to Duff.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
Maybe he means how Rex had success with manginis  roster and not reloading blew tge whole thing up by year 4?

But Duff plugged a ton of hokes on top of Rex remnants to rebuild the core on the fly . So this first offseason is tge real barometer

All we can say about Duff so far is he overhauled a mediocre roster with a solid front 7 core  into competitive one with bargain deals and mid tier guys to supplement the big Revis splash .

I'm hopeful because he's a scout and says everything you'd like to hear .

This offseason will give us a better idea to any MO he might actually develop on the job

Tags: bo is a chomo