Author Topic: The Future of the NYJ QB Position  (Read 136485 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: The Future of the NYJ QB Position
« Reply #1305 on: January 04, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »
So what you're saying, Geno, is that this year you had a tenth of the motivation that you could have had?

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1306 on: January 15, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
Unfortunately, I think Geno Smith will be back next year for a few reasons.  He will only be making $1.5 million in 2016.  I highly doubt you will be able to find a backup QB any better than Geno willing to take that little $.  The Jets need every dime they can save for other positions.  The only way to save more is to cut Geno and have Petty and a mid-round rookie as the backups.  That is dangerous.

While no one in their right mind would have Geno as their starter, I doubt they are ready to have Petty as the main backup yet.  The Jets are a team that may have to rely on a backup for a game or 2 to stay in the playoff hunt.  If we were the Browns it wouldn't matter as much because the backup would just be riding out your losing season.  Then again, maybe Petty is as good as Geno at this point.  The only advantage Geno has is significant experience as an NFL starter.  One could argue that both would go out and create a turnover festival.

The only reason I can see Geno getting cut is if they think the stink associated with him isn't worth keeping him around at any value.  This may be true.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:57:44 AM by bojanglesman »

NDMick

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #1307 on: January 15, 2016, 10:45:54 AM »
I'll take Brett Ratliff back. I want Geno Smith gone from this roster.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1308 on: January 15, 2016, 10:59:10 AM »
Petty will have another 8-month off-season, he should be ready to be a backup by next year. Can't keep him in the plastic forever.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1309 on: January 15, 2016, 11:05:12 AM »
Unfortunately, I think Geno Smith will be back next year for a few reasons.  He will only be making $1.5 million in 2016.  I highly doubt you will be able to find a backup QB any better than Geno willing to take that little $.  The Jets need every dime they can save for other positions.  The only way to save more is to cut Geno and have Petty and a mid-round rookie as the backups.  That is dangerous.

While no one in their right mind would have Geno as their starter, I doubt they are ready to have Petty as the main backup yet.  The Jets are a team that may have to rely on a backup for a game or 2 to stay in the playoff hunt.  If we were the Browns it wouldn't matter as much because the backup would just be riding out your losing season.  Then again, maybe Petty is as good as Geno at this point.  The only advantage Geno has is significant experience as an NFL starter.  One could argue that both would go out and create a turnover festival.

The only reason I can see Geno getting cut is if they think the stink associated with him isn't worth keeping him around at any value.  This may be true.

I'd rather have Geno gone just so we can wash the smell off of this team, but in the end I think he'll end up staying.

He's cheap, young, has a year in the system, and even though nobody wants to admit it, would be among the better backup Qbs in the league. Plus we invested a 2nd rounder in him so you might as well let it play out at this point. Fitzpatrick is not a lock to stay healthy all year at this point in his career, and Petty probably isn't ready to be thrown into the fire.

Plus then we'd get another year of Mack's comments "yeah, but if Geno was starting......"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:07:04 AM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1310 on: January 15, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
I'd rather have Geno gone just so we can wash the smell off of this team, but in the end I think he'll end up staying.

He's cheap, young, has a year in the system, and even though nobody wants to admit it, would be among the better backup Qbs in the league. Plus we invested a 2nd rounder in him so you might as well let it play out at this point. Fitzpatrick is not a lock to stay healthy all year at this point in his career, and Petty probably isn't ready to be thrown into the fire.

Plus then we'd get another year of Mack's comments "yeah, but if Geno was starting......"

That's the way I see it.  I'd rather have him gone but he really isn't a bad backup.  Backups are backups for a reason.  You can't have a backup that is just as good as your starter, so there's going to be dropoff. 

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1311 on: January 15, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »
I think Duff will make every attempt to trade Geno for a draft pick this offseason and then turn around and draft another QB in the mid to late rounds. Geno is done here and that was pretty evident when the Jets were more comfortable letting a "journeyman QB" who had a thumb ligament reattached a week earlier start over Smith.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #1312 on: January 15, 2016, 11:46:34 AM »
Unacceptable, this team needs Aaron Rodgers to back up Fitz and Tom Brady to backup Aaron Rodgers

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1313 on: January 15, 2016, 12:28:11 PM »
I think Duff will make every attempt to trade Geno for a draft pick this offseason and then turn around and draft another QB in the mid to late rounds. Geno is done here and that was pretty evident when the Jets were more comfortable letting a "journeyman QB" who had a thumb ligament reattached a week earlier start over Smith.

I can't imagine we could get anything for Geno unless Duff has a miracle up his derriere.  Maybe a 7th rounder.

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #1314 on: January 15, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
geno smith is terrible, I honestly have no idea why people think he'd be a quality backup

he's not a quality anything

it's some kind of weird wishful thinking and/or an idea that this horrendous player and human being must have some kind of pathetic value to justify his draft position and all the time this organization has spent on him

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1315 on: January 15, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
geno smith is terrible, I honestly have no idea why people think he'd be a quality backup

he's not a quality anything

it's some kind of weird wishful thinking and/or an idea that this horrendous player and human being must have some kind of pathetic value to justify his draft position and all the time this organization has spent on him

He's better than a few QBs that ended the year starting for their teams.

Nobody said Geno smith is good, perhaps you just didn't watch the NFL season this year and notice the alarming lack of QB depth on most teams.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:52:54 PM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1316 on: January 15, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
I can't imagine we could get anything for Geno unless Duff has a miracle up his derriere.  Maybe a 7th rounder.

Geno is worth a low round pick to someone. As was said, there's little quality QB depth around the league. Yates and Gabbert started actual games for NFL teams this year. Matt Flynn has signed with like 8 teams in the last 2 years.

I'm not saying he's worth a second or even third round pick, but a late round pick is reasonable for a young QB who has started professional games and is under contract for a relatively low salary. And even if we only got a 7th, it's more than we'll get out of him next year if he stays.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1317 on: January 15, 2016, 02:37:11 PM »
I don't care about any 6th or 7th round pick. The sooner he's off this team the better.
"Wrong!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1318 on: January 15, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
Matt Flynn has signed with like 8 teams in the last 2 years.

Matt Flynn is intelligent.  He's also never been TKO'd by a fellow teammate. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1319 on: January 15, 2016, 02:44:54 PM »
I don't care about any 6th or 7th round pick. The sooner he's off this team the better.

Imagine trading him for a late round pick and then using that pick on a developmental QB that actually works out.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away