Author Topic: The Future of the NYJ QB Position  (Read 136519 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
The Future of the NYJ QB Position
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »
Bumping a thread about an old quote from Rex Ryan doesn't do this topic justice.  It's really the key issue with the New York Jets right now, and it has been for every season of the Ryan era. 

Geno Smith has done close to nothing to prove to the organization that he deserves to be the guy.  After 11 weeks of pro football, he's shown little improvement, especially as a multi-read quarterback.  This team had a late season BYE week, and Smith put together his worst performance as a pro after having an extra week to prepare for Buffalo. 

It was said a few times in the game thread by multiple posters, and I'll say it in here again:  today could have very well been the beginning of the end of the Geno Smith experiment. 

I'm going to put together a list of future quarterback prospects and 2014 free agents at the position.  In my opinion, the draft is the way to go.  2014's QB class has more talent than I have ever seen, which is a big reason why I wanted to stay away from the QBs in the 2013 draft.

2014 NFL Draft QBs

Teddy Bridgewater - Louisville
Johnny Manziel - Texas A&M
Derek Carr - Fresno State
Brett Hundley - UCLA
Zach Mettenberger - LSU
Bryce Petty - Baylor
AJ McCarron - Alabama
Marcus Mariota - Oregon
Kevin Hogan - Stanford
Blake Bortles - UCF
Tajh Boyd - Clemson

All 11 of these players could be considered in the first round.  Not all of them will enter, but the more the better. 

There's three lesser known prospects at the position that will rise after postseason all-star games and the NFL Combine

Keith Wenning - Ball State
Jimmy Garoppollo - Eastern Illinois
Jeff Mathews - Cornell

---

2014 Free Agent QBs

Jay Cutler
Michael Vick
Josh Freeman
Chad Henne
Tarvaris Jackson
Josh McCown
Kellen Clemens
Matt Cassel
Colt McCoy
Jimmy Clausen

I'm not really big on any of these guys coming to New York except for maybe Josh McCown in a short-term starter/backup role. 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:27:33 PM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
Re: The Future of the NYJ QB Position
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
where's the obligatory trade for Kirk Cousins option

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:10:42 PM »
where's the obligatory trade for Kirk Cousins option

I don't see anything wrong with acquiring Kirk Cousins for a third round or later pick depending on which QBs are on still on the board...

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »
Half sarcasm half serious.  Neither do I.  Though I have no idea what it would actually take.  3rd?  3rd + a later pick?  2nd?  Where does it stop being comfortable?

I'd rather do that than take a QB prospect outside of the 1st round, it'd probably be the best shot at competing next year.

but I know nothing

NDMick

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
Which ever prospect can read an NFL defense, I will take that one.

Which ever prospect improves and learns from his mistakes, I will take that one.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:44 PM »
Half sarcasm half serious.  Neither do I.  Though I have no idea what it would actually take.  3rd?  3rd + a later pick?  2nd?  Where does it stop being comfortable?

I'd rather do that than take a QB prospect outside of the 1st round, it'd probably be the best shot at competing next year.

but I know nothing

I wouldn't give up anything higher than a third rounder for Kirk Cousins. 

He was originally drafted in the fourth round, and he's got a very limited amount of real game experience.  So, he hasn't done nearly enough to elevate his stock by two rounds.

A fourth and a sixth may be a possibility. 

In order to fully separate from Geno Smith, the Jets will need to make a decently high profile move.  You have to bring a better quality prospect through the draft or acquire someone to come in and take his job. 

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if they traded for Cousins and had a qb competition next year, Geno would lose.  And if not, hooray!

If he's worth a 3rd at most and they came back asking for a 3rd and 6th, you say no?

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
Which ever prospect can read an NFL defense, I will take that one.

Which ever prospect improves and learns from his mistakes, I will take that one.

We can basically toss Bridgewater out of the picture.  He will be gone.

McCarron, Carr, and Manziel are our best bets, in my opinion. 

McCarron runs a pro-style offense better than anyone in college football.

Carr has had incredible success in multiple schemes (pro-style and the up-tempo spread).  He makes all of his own calls at the LOS.

Manziel is tough to gauge from a mental standpoint.  A lot of his big plays happen because he buys a ton of time with his legs, and his targets move to get open.  That's not necessarily making multiple reads.  He definitely has enough physical ability to start in the NFL, he'll just need some work in the pocket.

I really like Bryce Petty, but he's a one year starter in a very passer-friendly offense at Baylor.  Marcus Mariota benefits from playing in a great system as well. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »
If he's worth a 3rd at most and they came back asking for a 3rd and 6th, you say no?

With all of the comp picks this team will have, throwing in an extra late rounder to get it done wouldn't hurt. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »
I love McCarron. He is incredibly level headed and appears to have every physical tool. He never seems to make the wrong decision.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
I love McCarron. He is incredibly level headed and appears to have every physical tool. He never seems to make the wrong decision.

He doesn't have a great arm, and that keeps him from being an elite prospect.  He's still a first round caliber quarterback, in my opinion.

I see Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and a little bit of Chad Pennington in this kid. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:33:44 PM by Heismanberg »

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 11:36:46 PM »
Only guy I wholeheartedly do not want is Manziel. I think he will bust so tragically that an ESPN 30 for 30 will be made in his honor.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »
Only guy I wholeheartedly do not want is Manziel. I think he will bust so tragically that an ESPN 30 for 30 will be made in his honor.

I don't really have a problem with what he does off the field, and what he does on the field is amazing at times. 

He's the most marketable QB in this class, and the spotlight of New York won't mess with him at all. 

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 12:08:11 AM »
If you want to know how much it will cost to trade for Kirk Cousins, just look at the Matt Schaub trade.

Two 2nd round picks and a swap of 1st's.  And quite frankly, Cousins has done more for the Skins than Schaub did for the Falcons. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:18:18 AM »
If you want to know how much it will cost to trade for Kirk Cousins, just look at the Matt Schaub trade.

Two 2nd round picks and a swap of 1st's.  And quite frankly, Cousins has done more for the Skins than Schaub did for the Falcons. 

Matt Schaub was a third round pick.  He started two games for Atlanta, but played a lot in the regular season.  A huge game against NE really raised his stock. 

ATL stats:  84 of 161 for 1,033 yards with 6 TDs and 6 INTs  (3 seasons)

Kirk Cousins was a fourth round pick.  He's started two games, and played sparingly behind RGIII. 

WSH stats:  38 of 57 for 514 yards with 4 TDs and 5 INTs (1.5 seasons)

Also, that was Houston's way to move on from David Carr.  They had to make a splashy move.