Author Topic: The Future of the NYJ QB Position  (Read 136567 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: The Future of the NYJ QB Position
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »
If Rex is back and on a short leash,  how can anyone seriously think he'd roll with yet another rookie quarterback. I think it's incredibly unlikely that Rex comes back AND we draft a QB early.

If we do bad enough to get Rex fired, then I think these QB wet dreams are more plausible. But right now I think it's very unlikely Jets draft a QB

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »
I don't know there are probably at least 5 teams with QB needs and you never know some other goofball team may pick one just because.

That happens.

Unfortunately,  we don't have the luxury of trading up into the top 10.  The rest of our roster depth will suffer.  Although, i'm not too worried...Idzik doesn't strike me as the type to work the board as much as Tanny did. 

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »
That happens.

Unfortunately,  we don't have the luxury of trading up into the top 10.  The rest of our roster depth will suffer.  Although, i'm not too worried...Idzik doesn't strike me as the type to work the board as much as Tanny did. 

Yes, I agree but this team is teetering on the edge in several respects. For instance, Rex getting dumped will set the franchise back at least a year, as will a wholesale trade of the 2014 draft to get that top notch QB prospect. However, that doesn't mean 1 or the other isnt a viable option when all is said and done.

There's a very weird dynamic with this team right now. It's rebuilding for sure but it can potentially still have a bunch more housecleaning as well. I guess that's how it goes with a team that is young, has so many flaws/holes, and is so consistently inconsistent. I  am completely confused on a weekly basis.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »
I agree with this. I'd like to see Idzik build a more complete foundation for the offense before we swing for the fences.

As I said, if that's if they're looking to draft a guy to start in 2014. If they bring in a stop-gap to start ahead of the rookie, they can afford to pay now provided they can still use the next season to build. But there has to be someone there with experience to help out the new starter in 2015. A WR, TE, HB not currently on the roster, someone.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »
If Holmes will take a sensible deal, I'd be happy to keep him.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
On Derek Carr, how do you compare him to David Carr?  And if you see Derek as a better prospect, do you think David's play is underrating Derek at all?

As people, they are very similar - so that's intangibles.  Leadership, character, poise, charisma...I do think that Derek is a little more driven, there was a chip on his shoulder.  He came in and shattered every record that school had at the quarterback position, and most of them were held for a decade by his older brother.

David was a better athlete than people remember, because he got absolutely destroyed at Houston.  He had toughness and solid speed (4.7s).  Really smooth in the pocket at Fresno.  He was an outstanding prospect, he just got beat to excrement and it ruined him.  Watching him as a rookie, he showed a lot of flashes.  And in '04 and '05, he wasn't awful. 

With all of that said, Derek is bigger, faster, and stronger.  He supposedly runs in the 4.5s, but that staff refuses to install designed runs for him because if he goes down, their season is over.  His arm is arguably the strongest in the country.  Mettenberger might have him there, but it's close.  His accuracy and placement is elite.  So, he's an elite passer in both of the key spots (arm strength and accuracy).

What sets him apart from his older brother is his knowledge of the game and the offense that he's in.  He's Peyton Manning-like out there for Fresno.  He will make multiple checks and adjustments at the OL - he's responsible for most routes after seeing the coverage.  The OC just puts him in a look, and Carr identifies the coverage and weakness.

His line has been trash for his entire career, and he's still put up absolutely ridiculous numbers.  If you watch them, you'll see a ton of designed smoke screens.  That's there way of backing off the rush early.

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »
If Holmes will take a sensible deal, I'd be happy to keep him.

He needs to go.  We shouldn't want him around a developing roster.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »
I don't know there are probably at least 5 teams with QB needs and you never know some other goofball team may pick one just because.

And there's at least 7 or 8 prospects in this draft (even with some of them not declaring) that are far better prospects than Geno Smith was in 2013's draft.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
I would love it if Blake Bortles or Bryce Petty (Have watched quite a bit of Baylor this year) come out this year.  Bryce Petty plays for a run first offense by design, but winds up being very pass happy (They take a lot of snaps per game).  Baylor is a run first team though. 

What?  No.

It's Art Briles.

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »
As people, they are very similar - so that's intangibles.  Leadership, character, poise, charisma...I do think that Derek is a little more driven, there was a chip on his shoulder.  He came in and shattered every record that school had at the quarterback position, and most of them were held for a decade by his older brother.

David was a better athlete than people remember, because he got absolutely destroyed at Houston.  He had toughness and solid speed (4.7s).  Really smooth in the pocket at Fresno.  He was an outstanding prospect, he just got beat to excrement and it ruined him.  Watching him as a rookie, he showed a lot of flashes.  And in '04 and '05, he wasn't awful. 

With all of that said, Derek is bigger, faster, and stronger.  He supposedly runs in the 4.5s, but that staff refuses to install designed runs for him because if he goes down, their season is over.  His arm is arguably the strongest in the country.  Mettenberger might have him there, but it's close.  His accuracy and placement is elite.  So, he's an elite passer in both of the key spots (arm strength and accuracy).

What sets him apart from his older brother is his knowledge of the game and the offense that he's in.  He's Peyton Manning-like out there for Fresno.  He will make multiple checks and adjustments at the OL - he's responsible for most routes after seeing the coverage.  The OC just puts him in a look, and Carr identifies the coverage and weakness.

His line has been trash for his entire career, and he's still put up absolutely ridiculous numbers.  If you watch them, you'll see a ton of designed smoke screens.  That's there way of backing off the rush early.

So it seems like you're saying Derek is a prospect in every way.

If that's the case, why isn't he projected to go higher like his brother?

Is it because it's a stronger draft than in 2002, or is there just a stigma attached to the Carr name in the NFL?

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
So it seems like you're saying Derek is a prospect in every way.

If that's the case, why isn't he projected to go higher like his brother?

Is it because it's a stronger draft than in 2002, or is there just a stigma attached to the Carr name in the NFL?

He's being projected as a first rounder by actual NFL scouts.  I expect him to rise during the Senior Bowl and the Combine. 

The only QBs David had to compete with in 2002 were Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, and Josh McCown. 

Derek is up against a much better, much deeper class.  He's still arguably a top three player in this class though. 

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
And there's at least 7 or 8 prospects in this draft (even with some of them not declaring) that are far better prospects than Geno Smith was in 2013's draft.

Then the Jets should not have to trade up to get real competition for Geno. Honestly, I almost at the point of having seen enough. Geno's improvement needs to be meteoric for him to have a sustainable career as a starting QB. I just don't know if is capable of improving to such an extent. I don't mean to give up on a young QB but wow after the bye week he should have shown some improvement.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
Then the Jets should not have to trade up to get real competition for Geno. Honestly, I almost at the point of having seen enough. Geno's improvement needs to be meteoric for him to have a sustainable career as a starting QB. I just don't know if is capable of improving to such an extent. I don't mean to give up on a young QB but wow after the bye week he should have shown some improvement.

It has to be a relatively showy type of move in order to completely move on. 

Using a first rounder to unseat a second rounder is enough in my opinion, but Woody Johnson may try to get an elite prospect.

I hate the idea of trading up, but it makes a lot of sense because the position has been this franchise's downfall for such a long time. 

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »
It has to be a relatively showy type of move in order to completely move on. 

Using a first rounder to unseat a second rounder is enough in my opinion, but Woody Johnson may try to get an elite prospect.

I hate the idea of trading up, but it makes a lot of sense because the position has been this franchise's downfall for such a long time. 

It's difficult to trust the Jets to get a future franchise guy, they haven't since, 1965. That's why I am so leery of trading up. I know I am being a little dramatic but still this franchise is due. Geno Smith is no franchise QB, please nobody throw Peyton's rookie year at me, Geno is nothing like him.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »
It's difficult to trust the Jets to get a future franchise guy, they haven't since, 1965. That's why I am so leery of trading up. I know I am being a little dramatic but still this franchise is due. Geno Smith is no franchise QB, please nobody throw Peyton's rookie year at me, Geno is nothing like him.

I think O'Brien and Pennington (not going to get into Sanchez now) had all the potential to be franchise guys when they were drafted, but they were both derailed for various reasons.

So while it's still difficult to find your franchise QB, it's apparently been even harder to develop him.