Author Topic: The Future of the NYJ QB Position  (Read 136359 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: The Future of the NYJ QB Position
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »
Mentally tough, smart, non turnover machine, at least average arm.  I'll take whichever one best fits that.  I don't expect Aaron Rodgers.  We don't have the good fortune to get that lucky.

I guess a lot of that is hard to determine until they get to the NFL.

How about we don't shoot for the moon. Wouldn't it be nice to have an average middling QB for a season. I am getting tired of watching the worst QB play in the entire NFL, year in and year out since Rex has gotten here.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »
Yep, I am cured of the Geno experiment, let him get his head on straight watching from the bench. If there is still a true QB competition and players are held accountable, have him pick out splinters from his behind.

I can't believe I am saying it, but he has to be benched. He is not improving, he is getting worse and worse.
But what if he puts up amazing games in the next few weeks 4 no reason at all?!
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »
I don't know enough about these guys.
"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »
But what if he puts up amazing games in the next few weeks 4 no reason at all?!

Per chance do you have the address for the North Pole, I am updating my black book. Badger gave me the Tooth Fairy's and Hymanberg the Easter Bunny.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »
How about we don't shoot for the moon. Wouldn't it be nice to have an average middling QB for a season. I am getting tired of watching the worst QB play in the entire NFL, year in and year out since Rex has gotten here.

Or even better, how about we do exactly that? Perhaps instead of saying, "Let's sit tight at our draft position, take the best player available and hope that we find some gem in the second or third round" we would be better off recognising that doing anything other than getting a legitimate blue chip prospect at QB is just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, and do whatever it takes to get a pick that will give us that QB.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »
Or even better, how about we do exactly that? Perhaps instead of saying, "Let's sit tight at our draft position, take the best player available and hope that we find some gem in the second or third round" we would be better off recognising that doing anything other than getting a legitimate blue chip prospect at QB is just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, and do whatever it takes to get a pick that will give us that QB.

I don't think it will happen JE. For the Jets to move up to #1 they are going to have to give up the kitchen sink. The Jets still need Oline help, playmakers at every position, secondary help. There are too many holes to fill and trading up isn't the answer, the Jets have done that every year 2007-2009 and how did that work out for them?

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »
We don't even know what our draft position is yet. Why not wait to see our starting position work before we commit to selling out the second and third round pick.

This isn't the last year for QB prospects and if Rex is excrement-canned at the end of the year the offense will go into a legitimate rebuilding mode where they actually rebuild the offense instead of throwing more patch work over it. I'd still be worried about bringing a blue-chip prospect to this team because without the second and third round pick that prospect is still going to have jack excrement to work with. Let's make sure the soil can support the crop before we mortgage the farm. The only reason to act with urgency from the FO would be if Rex is still here in 2014.

Or the new guy could just say "Get me my prospect and a veteran to take the hits while the one I actually want sits for year." Either or.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »
Jets shouldn't settle for the first overall pick, what's that going to do for us? We should trade our entire draft for LaRon Landry.

Do you think the Colts will take it? Or should we throw in 2015 picks too?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
I don't think it will happen JE. For the Jets to move up to #1 they are going to have to give up the kitchen sink. The Jets still need Oline help, playmakers at every position, secondary help. There are too many holes to fill and trading up isn't the answer, the Jets have done that every year 2007-2009 and how did that work out for them?

I didn't say #1. In fact, as has been discussed many times, no-one remembers the last time there was a better draft to get an elite QB prospect without having the #1 overall pick. We may have to trade up some, but if we do then so be it. We have cap space and picks; there is no hole more important than the one behind center.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »
At this point, I don't see why Simms won't be given every chance to prove he's not a turnover machine. Turnovers kill games, and I fail to see Geno developing into a "safe" quarterback.

Judging from what we've seen of Idzik so far, I think he'll go QB in round 1 if he thinks there's a franchise QB available when the Jets pick comes up, but I don't think he'll move up.

I'm inclined to believe, if we get to the playoffs, Geno/Simms will get another year to prove themselves and we focus on building the rest of the roster. And if we don't get to the playoffs, we'll bring in a veteran and a rookie in the offseason, and depending on how hard we crash, Idzik might also overhaul the coaching staff.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
I'd still be worried about bringing a blue-chip prospect to this team because without the second and third round pick that prospect is still going to have jack excrement to work with. Let's make sure the soil can support the crop before we mortgage the farm.

I agree with this. I'd like to see Idzik build a more complete foundation for the offense before we swing for the fences.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »
I didn't say #1. In fact, as has been discussed many times, no-one remembers the last time there was a better draft to get an elite QB prospect without having the #1 overall pick. We may have to trade up some, but if we do then so be it. We have cap space and picks; there is no hole more important than the one behind center.

We don't need to trade up. 

there should be enough QB talent in this draft that a decent QB prospect should fall into our laps.

Just like Puck alluded to, there are other glaring holes to address....trading away picks to move up isn't a smart move for this franchise, given the current state they're in.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
Just for sake of argument, here's the current draft selection order if the 2014 draft were to happen tomorrow.

http://overthecap.com/nfl-draft-selection-tracker/

the Jets pick 17th.

Obviously, not every QB is going to declare for the draft in 2014.  But i still feel confident enough an above-average QB prospect will be available in the top 20 for us.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »

I agree the Jets need a QB and it's the most important position. That said any QB is going to be set up to fail, until some other area's are addressed. I firmly believe if another coach comes, in this defense will take a hit and coupled with the dearth of playmakers on offense the Jets are potentially as bad as Jacksonville the following year. I guess I would wait to see how the season plays out because the Jets might be picking 13-18 area and the Jets will require good luck getting a top QB prospect there with so many teams with that very same need, potentially picking in front of the Jets.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:32:18 AM by Miamipuck »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »
Just for sake of argument, here's the current draft selection order if the 2014 draft were to happen tomorrow.

http://overthecap.com/nfl-draft-selection-tracker/

the Jets pick 17th.

Obviously, not every QB is going to declare for the draft in 2014.  But i still feel confident enough an above-average QB prospect will be available in the top 20 for us.

I don't know there are probably at least 5 teams with QB needs and you never know some other goofball team may pick one just because.