Author Topic: The Future of the NYJ QB Position  (Read 136076 times)

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
Re: The Future of the NYJ QB Position
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 12:35:20 AM »
I don't like Mariota or Hogan as prospects. Someone like McCarron Hundley or Carr wold be perfect

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »
I don't like Mariota or Hogan as prospects. Someone like McCarron Hundley or Carr wold be perfect

I despise Marcus Mariota.

Kevin Hogan needs to stay in school.  He's only going to get better, but it's not his time yet.  Too many strong prospects ahead of him.

Brett Hundley probably needs to stay at UCLA, and I think that he will.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 12:43:40 AM »

Hogan's still young, but if he comes out this year, I want absolutely no part of him.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 12:46:15 AM »
Hogan's still young, but if he comes out this year, I want absolutely no part of him.

If he comes out this year, he'll fall to at least the third round. 

He's the kind of player that you stash and develop behind someone like Rivers or Brady.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 01:08:05 AM »
I don't think a 3rd is enough for Cousins.

On Derek Carr, how do you compare him to David Carr?  And if you see Derek as a better prospect, do you think David's play is underrating Derek at all?

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 01:38:55 AM »
I don't think a 3rd is enough for Cousins.

On Derek Carr, how do you compare him to David Carr?  And if you see Derek as a better prospect, do you think David's play is underrating Derek at all?

Pretty different play styles from what I have seen actually. David seems more accurate and both have pretty solid arms and get flustered under pressure though.

Outside that Derek seems to manage the game/turnovers more effectively and seems to have more solid mechanics.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:41:38 AM by Jumbo »

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »
I don't typically study tape until the off-season, and just some quick observations.

I would love it if Blake Bortles or Bryce Petty (Have watched quite a bit of Baylor this year) come out this year.  Bryce Petty plays for a run first offense by design, but winds up being very pass happy (They take a lot of snaps per game).  Baylor is a run first team though.  He also doesn't tend to see much pressure, and as a one year starter, that scares me.  How do can you judge his pocket presence under pressure?  He reminds me of a more gifted passer than Jake Locker, or a Tim Tebow that can pass 6'3" 230lbs and faster.  He fits what Rex Ryan is trying to build, IMO.  I haven't really studied Bortles, but from what I have seen from him, I would take him in a heart beat.   

AJ McCarron reminds me of Alex Smith, and he would be a perfect fit for our offense.  Take care of the football, but he can make the necessary throws.  The ultimate game manager, IMO.  However, a talented team like Alabama concerns me.  It isn't fair to judge him based on his teammates, but they don't play teams that have like talent.  In the pros he will have to, so it is a valid concern. 

Zach Mettenberger has raised some questions to his decision making the past couple weeks.  However, he is having to put the team on his shoulders lately, and not rely on a great defense that he had the luxury of last year.  He has had a pretty dominate runner behind him in though. 

The one player I do not want is Manziel.  I don't see the maturity of a franchise QB, and though he is exciting to watch at the college level, it doesn't mean it will translate. 

Bridgewater will be long gone.

That all said, Simms has really impressed me.  I don't know why he didn't play much in college, but I doubt it was from a physical aspect.  I am guessing it was more of a lack of maturity, and was someone that didn't have to work for anything.  His release is as good as anyone I have ever seen, and I like how he moves in the pocket.  However, he has made some pretty bad decisions in the limited game time he has seen, so there's that. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 05:16:01 AM »
Yeah ! Lets trade up in the draft, thats worked so well for us building a deep roster without holes all over it.

Maybe we can address the rest of our needs by high profile free agency signings and trades ?

When we have $40 million to burn in the offseason we can fill a lot of holes with reasonable contracts, no need to splurge on a major money guy, then we have limited holes and can trade up.

Also if you don't think trading up to get a franchise QB is worth it, I don't know what to tell you. You have to go get your guy at that position, championships are won because of the guy behind center, and it's an incredible rarity otherwise. If we think a guy can do it in. Ny, we have to go get him at all costs, not hope like hell he falls in our lap in the late teens.
Need a new one for a new board...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 05:21:57 AM »
We wouldn't have to trade all of our picks to move up a few spots (four or five slots).

That's not that much separation between Teddy Bridgewater and the four or five other dudes that will be considered first round prospects at the position.  In fact, I don't even think Bridgewater is the best prospect at the position.

I agree, but I think in the end each staff will ID one guy as the one they want above the others regardless of the consensus rankings of the staff
Need a new one for a new board...

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 06:07:44 AM »
Mike Glennon and Case Keenum may have done enough to keep their jobs next season. 

The Rams aren't going to move on from Sam Bradford.  He was having a solid year until he got hurt.  They've built that team around him, he just has to stay healthy now.

Jacksonville
Oakland
Minnesota
Tennessee (Jake Locker is owed $15M in 2015 and the team has to decide a club option this offseason)
Cleveland
Arizona

These are the six teams that I can see taking a QB high. 
I can see Glennon getting a shot to start next season, but if Kubiak is fired Case Keenun is going to he someone else's UDFA to the incoming coaching staff.

As you said, a new coach is going to want his guy and I don't see someone wanting to build an offense around a UDFA QB. Guys like Romo are the exception, not the rule.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:09:18 AM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:09 AM »
As for the FA list, I wouldn't be upset with McCown or McCoy as placeholders. Mornhinweg's system might be the best place for McCoy in the NFL.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 07:20:34 AM »
Mentally tough, smart, non turnover machine, at least average arm.  I'll take whichever one best fits that.  I don't expect Aaron Rodgers.  We don't have the good fortune to get that lucky.

I guess a lot of that is hard to determine until they get to the NFL.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:23:10 AM by bojanglesman »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
At least Glennon has shown improvement.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 07:35:53 AM »
Glennon has a TD:INT ratio of almost 3:1 and an average passer rating of 87.7. He has definitely shown enough to be worth persisting with.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »
Yep, I am cured of the Geno experiment, let him get his head on straight watching from the bench. If there is still a true QB competition and players are held accountable, have him pick out splinters from his behind.

I can't believe I am saying it, but he has to be benched. He is not improving, he is getting worse and worse.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!