Author Topic: New York Yankees 2016 Offseason  (Read 15444 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: New York Yankees 2016 Offseason
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
I don't expect the lefty to stick with Atlanta. Sucks we lost Cave though. He'll make a good 4th outfielder for Cincy, especially with where they're at as a team.

If Severino doesn't start the year in the big league rotation I'll be furious. He's one of the 5 best starters in the organization. There are no service time issues. There are no innings limit issues, and if there are then and only then do I think you hold him out the first month of the season. I understand why Bird needs to be at AAA to start the year, but there needs to be a spot for Sevvy.

I still think even if Severino is in the rotation they need another starter, but they aren't going to lay out the money its going to cost, nor should they. Leake is going to get somewhere around 16-18 mil per. Maeda is going to cost a team a 20 million dollar posting fee before you can even talk to him. With what pitching is going for both on the trade and free agent market this year, the Eovaldi deal looks smarter by the day, and I HATED it at the time.

The key with Severino is that they can send him to AAA. You can't demote Sabathia, Tanaka, Pineda, or Eovaldi. I'm not sure if Nova has options or is still eligible. So you have a bunch of guys who will be on the 25 man roster--like it or not. Severino will be a victim of the numbers game, but he'll certainly get his opportunity during the year because no staff plays 162 without injury.

I'm pretty sure either Girardi or Cashman mentioned there will be a cap on Severino's innings recently as well, but that's not why he should/will be sent down.

I don't see the Yankees signing any pitchers at this point. Again, this is where I think Gardner factors in. He's going to be traded at some point. Miller might too (though I wholeheartedly disagree with trading Miller). I think Cashman is going to search until he finds a good deal for a young arm.

I agree with you on the Eovaldi deal. I didn't like it at all but it has worked out greatly. Rothschild is a fantastic pitching coach so I'm more comfortable now when Cashman gets a guy that might make me scratch my head.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 10:39:27 AM »
Baseball America top 10 Yankees prospects

SS Jorge Mateo
C Gary Sanchez
OF Aaron Judge
RHP James Kaprielian
RHP Domingo Acevedo
RHP Rookie Davis
SS Tyler Wade
2B Rob Refsnyder
SS Wilkerman Garcia
OF Dustin Fowler
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 10:47:42 AM »
Bird and severino both lost their eligibility last year.

Mateo is the guy Cashman wouldn't give up for kimbrel last year. 82 stolen bases last season as a 20 year old shortstop

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »
So it looks like shortstop is the new catcher in terms of system depth. With Didi possibly entrenched for a decade it leaves us some nice chips to play with.

I get on Cashman's case when he doesn't make big moves to improve the club in the short term, but payroll is going to plummet soon and the farm system went from overall weakness to a well with some depth for the first time since the early 90s. The end of the decade is going to be quite an interesting time as large chunks of money free up and players mature.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »
His name is Rookie?

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »
His name is Rookie?

I'm a fan of Wilkerman myself.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »
Fangraph's statistical projection system (ZIPS) projected Aaron Judge for 30 HR and 80 RBI with somewhere around 500 ABs. The system can't predict if he starts the year in MLB, obviously, but the numbers are supposed to be scalable to the minor leagues as well.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
These were supposed to be the albatross years on the back end of the contracts that won the 09 title. I'm pleased with how Cashman has navigated the waters thus far. Setting themselves up for a shitload of financial flexibility and a nice little cache of young arms and middle infielders to either promote or deal from.

I'd still like to see the Yanks add another bullpen arm to make up for the loss of Wilson, but they seem dead set on giving the kids a shot.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
These were supposed to be the albatross years on the back end of the contracts that won the 09 title. I'm pleased with how Cashman has navigated the waters thus far. Setting themselves up for a shitload of financial flexibility and a nice little cache of young arms and middle infielders to either promote or deal from.

I'd still like to see the Yanks add another bullpen arm to make up for the loss of Wilson, but they seem dead set on giving the kids a shot.

They need another bullpen guy. There's no point to having Miller and Betances if you don't have any bridge guys.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
I'm not too worried about the pen. The last two innings are locked down. That bridge guy can come from a not-ready-for-primetime starter arm. It's the rotation that concerns me. It's basically reliant on health and guys pitching to potential rather than what they've shown.

Tanaka (always an injury worry)
Severino (small sample size thus far)
Eovaldi (health question/can he keep up last year's performance?)
Pineda (health is a major issue/so is consistency)
Sabathia (age/health/alcohol issue)
Nova (no team was interested in him in trade/health and performance questionable)

I said a few weeks ago that I thought Severino would go to AAA and those other 5 guys would be the Opening Day rotation, but now I wonder about Nova. I'm not too confident with this coming season. It may be a transitional year from the start depending on veteran health across the roster.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
I'm not worried about the bullpen. If there's one thing Cashman has shown, it's that he can make a bullpen out of nothing. And the Yankees have plenty of bullpen arms they can use. Lindgren, Shreve and Pazos should be able to replace Wilson.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 01:35:24 PM »
I'm not worried about the bullpen. If there's one thing Cashman has shown, it's that he can make a bullpen out of nothing. And the Yankees have plenty of bullpen arms they can use. Lindgren, Shreve and Pazos should be able to replace Wilson.

On top of Cashman, I have a lot of faith in Rothschild. He's been absolutely brilliant with everyone (as long as they weren't overtaxed by Joe).

Harkey will be back this year too. He did a pretty good job with the pen the last time around.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
Quote from: BryanHoch
@BryanHoch: Yankees have acquired Aroldis Chapman from the Reds for RHPs Caleb Cotham and Rookie Davis and INFs Eric Jagielo and Tony Renda.

What!?

3-headed-monster.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
Cashman my boi.