Author Topic: Chan Gailey  (Read 5555 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: Chan Gailey
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2015, 10:43:11 AM »
2008 at undefeated Tennessee. That game was the most exceptionally called and executed game I've ever seen the Jets have. Now admittedly I've only been aware/paying attention since Chad in 2002, but Jesus that game was just awesome. Flawlessly done.

My question was meant rhetorically but of course some games are better called than others. A lot of it comes down to the decisions the QB makes at the line and after the ball is snapped, which is why we're doing better with Fitzpatrick at the position than we were with Sanchez or Geno.

Fitz said that he audibled the the QB sneak because he didn't like the playcall/defensive formation combo and he knew it was 4 down territory. One of the strangest things I've ever seen.

He saw an opening over the center, I believe.

Pat Ryan did it in the AFC Wild Card game in 1986 on 4th & 8, got something like 36 yards and turned the game around. I was sitting behind the end zone and I remember thinking on the 3rd down play that the middle of the line looked wide open. They're not expecting the QB to take it right up the middle on an obvious passing down so sometimes they leave it open and on a rare occasion the QB exploits it.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2015, 10:32:30 AM »
My question was meant rhetorically but of course some games are better called than others. A lot of it comes down to the decisions the QB makes at the line and after the ball is snapped, which is why we're doing better with Fitzpatrick at the position than we were with Sanchez or Geno.

He saw an opening over the center, I believe.

Pat Ryan did it in the AFC Wild Card game in 1986 on 4th & 8, got something like 36 yards and turned the game around. I was sitting behind the end zone and I remember thinking on the 3rd down play that the middle of the line looked wide open. They're not expecting the QB to take it right up the middle on an obvious passing down so sometimes they leave it open and on a rare occasion the QB exploits it.

The Pat play he faked the pitch back and then took off so it was a little different.  it was actually more like the Vinny sneak against Seattle in '98.  either way it gave us a more manageable 4th down. 

I really like Chan, fans will always hate playcalling.  it comes down to execution and Chan puts his players in spots to succeed.  w/ that said I can't stand seeing backward passes on 3rd/4th and short.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
I really like Chan, fans will always hate playcalling.  it comes down to execution and Chan puts his players in spots to succeed.  w/ that said I can't stand seeing backward passes on 3rd/4th and short.

While it's certainly true that execution determines whether a play call is "smart" in hindsight, it doesn't mean all calls are good, regardless of whether they work.

Calling for passes 2 yards short of the marker on 3rd or 4th down is poor playcalling, regardless of execution. The playcall that almost certainly should have had Decker alone in the endzone, rather than Kellen Davis, was a good call that was terribly executed.

I still believe Gailey is the best OC we've had in a very long time, but that doesn't mean he doesn't make bad calls.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2015, 10:40:54 AM »

Same here. You have to get the receiver past the sticks for a first down whenever possible, the one time they did that they hit Decker for a key first down. I can understand if it's 3rd & 20, sometimes you have to go to the short guy and hope he runs for it, but when you only need 5 yards or less there is no reason to not throw it to a guy past the sticks.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2015, 10:42:34 AM »
Calling for passes 2 yards short of the marker on 3rd or 4th down is poor playcalling

One of those was a check by Fitzpatrick.  Probably saw off coverage.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
One of those was a check by Fitzpatrick.  Probably saw off coverage.

Ah, okay. So a little less blame for Chan.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: