Author Topic: LOL NFL  (Read 109547 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: LOL NFL
« Reply #555 on: March 25, 2024, 01:38:25 PM »
I guess stopping the game is better than getting the call wrong, but how many stoppages are too many? Game feels like a sputtering engine.

As long as they don't stop the game to ask for a review it shouldn't be bad. A replay official will have the same time viewers always do to see whether a call was egregious and then call down to stop the clock if needed. This is a great change, IMO. RTP and DPI calls have been so bad so many times.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #556 on: March 25, 2024, 01:56:39 PM »
I don't think PI is included. RTP and grounding were the two I saw.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #557 on: March 25, 2024, 03:10:56 PM »
As long as they don't stop the game to ask for a review it shouldn't be bad. A replay official will have the same time viewers always do to see whether a call was egregious and then call down to stop the clock if needed. This is a great change, IMO. RTP and DPI calls have been so bad so many times.
DPI calls were reviewable one year and it was terrible.

What we consider egregious and what refs consider egregious will undoubtedly be different and create more controversy.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #558 on: March 25, 2024, 03:51:16 PM »
I think RTP shouldn't be too controversial and might stop that freaking pansy in Buffalo throwing himself to the floor every time a defensive end looks at him funny.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #559 on: March 25, 2024, 03:51:42 PM »
Refs are not going to overturn shitty calls made by their crew members
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #560 on: March 25, 2024, 07:39:43 PM »
I think RTP shouldn't be too controversial and might stop that freaking pansy in Buffalo throwing himself to the floor every time a defensive end looks at him funny.
You really don't think it will be controversial? I think it would be even more controversial than the current system because there are a lot of RTP calls that are probably right by the letter of the law that fans hate. There will be a ton of flags that people think should be overturned but won't be. It will help sometimes, but it will end up resulting in more ref drama. And perhaps the NFL likes that.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #561 on: March 26, 2024, 07:41:37 AM »
I don't think PI is included. RTP and grounding were the two I saw.

Well that sucks. Everything should be reviewable.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #562 on: March 26, 2024, 07:44:23 AM »
Refs are not going to overturn shitty calls made by their crew members

But they already do. Replay fixes a lot of calls that 20-30 years ago just stood.

I'm sure the refs hate it when a call is overturned from a selfish standpoint, but it's better for the game overall when a bad call gets corrected.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #563 on: March 26, 2024, 07:47:27 AM »
DPI calls were reviewable one year and it was terrible.

What we consider egregious and what refs consider egregious will undoubtedly be different and create more controversy.

Any time something gets added to replay there are growing pains. I stand firm on the belief that everything should be reviewable and it should be by people in a league office whose sole job is to review every single play immediately after it happens to ensure if a call needs further review, it gets it.

It's absolutely doable, and it would improve the game.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #564 on: March 26, 2024, 08:15:39 AM »
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
NFL owners voted to approve  the new kickoff rule.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #565 on: March 26, 2024, 08:17:27 AM »
You really don't think it will be controversial? I think it would be even more controversial than the current system because there are a lot of RTP calls that are probably right by the letter of the law that fans hate. There will be a ton of flags that people think should be overturned but won't be. It will help sometimes, but it will end up resulting in more ref drama. And perhaps the NFL likes that.

Possibly, but if it only overturns the most egregious flags then it's still an improvement on the current system that is allowing big name QBs to buy critical first downs.

I feel like I say this every offseason, but the change I would implement is an automatic 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike against any player asking for a flag to be thrown, either by words or motions.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #566 on: March 26, 2024, 08:46:18 AM »
But they already do. Replay fixes a lot of calls that 20-30 years ago just stood.

For catches, fumbles, stepping out of bounds, etc.  Those are not judgement calls with instant replay. 

We saw what happened with the pass interference reviews.  They are not going to make their crew members look bad on judgement calls. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #567 on: March 26, 2024, 08:47:21 AM »
Possibly, but if it only overturns the most egregious flags then it's still an improvement on the current system that is allowing big name QBs to buy critical first downs.

It isn't the potential game changer that you may think.

They are only going to use it to review things on RTP like if a QB was actually hit in the helmet or if they QB was out of the pocket.  We'll still see the soft calls and flops. 

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #568 on: March 26, 2024, 09:06:13 AM »
I don't see any way that reviewing lots of calls wouldn't make games last 37 hours and stop every other play. I'd like to think some calls can be reviewed from NY without stoppage, but unless they have some crazy AI entity/bot that can determine calls on the fly, a lot of calls will require time to review and drag everything to a halt.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #569 on: March 26, 2024, 09:15:51 AM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: