Author Topic: Midseason top 50 prospects  (Read 3931 times)

Cane

• Chad Pennington
Midseason top 50 prospects
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:45:16 AM »
I broke them down by ten, rather than split hairs over ranking a guy 15 or 16, etc. 

1-10
Teddy Bridgewater, QB Louisville
Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon
Sammy Watkins, WR Clemson
Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan
Jake Matthews, OT TAMU
Jadeveon Clowney, DE S. Carolina
Louis Nix, DT Notre Dame
Dominique Easley, DT Florida (depending on health)
Anthony Barr, LB UCLA
Kyle Van Noy, LB BYU

11-20
Zach Mettenberger, QB LSU
Mike Evans, WR TAMU
Marqise Lee, WR USC
Davante Adams, WR Fresno State
Eric Ebron, TE North Carolina
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT Bama
Vic Beasley, DE Clemson
Stephon Tuitt, DT Notre Dame
Khalil Mack, LB Buffalo
CJ Mosley, LB Bama

21-30
Johnny Manziel, QB TAMU
Allen Robinson, WR Penn State
Odell Beckham, WR LSU
Cam Erving, OT Florida State
Antonio Richardson, OT Tennessee
Cyril Richardson, OG Baylor
Trent Murphy, DE Stanford
Ifo Ekpre Olomu, CB Oregon
Lamarcus Joyner, CB Florida State
Haha Clinton-Dix, S Bama

31-40
Carlos Hyde, RB Ohio State
Jordan Matthews, WR Vanderbilt
Jarvis Landry, WR LSU
Jace Amaro, TE Texas Tech
James Gayle, DE Virginia Tech
RaShede Hageman, DT Minnesota
Christian Jones, LB Florida State
Ryan Shazier, LB Ohio State
Bradley Roby, CB Ohio State
Jason Verrett, CB TCU

41-50
Derek Carr, QB Fresno State
Tre Mason, RB Auburn
Jeremy Hill, RB LSU
Brandin Cooks, WR Oregon State
Davante Parker, WR Louisville
Gabe Jackson, OG Miss State
Chris Smith, DE Arkansas
Ed Stinson, DE Bama
Shane Skov, LB Stanford
Craig Loston, S LSU

I think the CB and DT log jams are still going to need time to work themselves out.  I think Ekpre Olomu is the best corner, but Lamarcus Joyner is the best overall DB in the draft.  The guys after them are interchangeable to a degree right now pre workouts.  The only playerson the list that I haven't seen a great deal on yet are the OL, outside of Lewan and Matthews. 

It will all change massively over the next few months once I can watch multiple games on the guys and not just live games or one PBP here and there.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Midseason top 50 prospects
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
Lewan over Matthews is interesting. 

Nice year to need a wide receiver. 

Like Mathieu, I think Joyner needs to play safety at the next level...but he is heavier and it allows him to be more physical.  He's a hell of a prospect. 

Trent Murphy made a lot of money against Oregon. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
As Heisman said....Matthews should be ahead of Lewan. Lewan's temperament on the field might hurt his stock, he plays out of control at times.

Mack is a top ten talent, but LB and small school holds him back to where you have him slotted.

I can't rate Lee as high as you have him, one spot behind Evans??? I'm a huge Lee fan and right or wrong, I can't rate him that high on 2013's season.

Amaro has made it known he's returning next year.

Took guts rating Van Noy that high, I like it, he's one of my favorite players. I think he has to go to the right system to succeed at a high level in the NFL.

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State is surprising he didn't make your list, up and down career, but has played better and is a solid returner.

Carlos Hyde is good back, powerful runner, but I'm having trouble giving many RBs a Top 50 grade this year so far.

Hageman out of Minny is a prospect I've liked for a while.

A WR to keep an eye on: Paul Richardson, Colorado
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:54:32 PM by WW85 »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »
As Heisman said....Matthews should be ahead of Lewan. Lewan's temperament on the field might hurt his stock, he plays out of control at times.

I have Matthews ahead of Lewan, but I don't really have a problem with these rankings.  I just thought it was interesting.

The nastiness Lewan brings to the field probably plays a factor in this. 

And Jace Amaro tweeted that he might leave a few days ago.  Nothing is certain this early in the process. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:03:44 PM by Heismanberg »

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »
I have Matthews ahead of Lewan, but I don't really have a problem with these rankings.  I just thought it was interesting.

The nastiness Lewan brings to the field probably plays a factor in this. 

And Jace Amaro said tweeted that he might leave a few days ago.  Nothing is certain this early in the process.

Amaro's tweet was my source.

I really like Matthew's Kid brother he's going to be a good pro in the future.

Canes' rankings were overall pretty solid, ranking Lee that high is an issue for me.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »
Amaro's tweet was my source.

How can you say he's returning from that tweet? 

He said that Kingsbury let him come out with the seniors and that is might be his last game at home. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:14:45 PM by Heismanberg »

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »
How can you say he's returning from that tweet? 

He said that Kingsburg let him come out with the seniors and that is might be his last game at home.

I didn't know that happened. Like I said over a week ago was the last thing I heard on Amaro's status, via that tweet. It is too early, we are still a few months away from a decision.

I hope he comes out, it would beneficial to the Jets. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »

Mack is a top ten talent, but LB and small school holds him back to where you have him slotted.

I can't rate Lee as high as you have him, one spot behind Evans??? I'm a huge Lee fan and right or wrong, I can't rate him that high on 2013's season.

Amaro has made it known he's returning next year.

Took guts rating Van Noy that high, I like it, he's one of my favorite players. I think he has to go to the right system to succeed at a high level in the NFL.

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State is surprising he didn't make your list, up and down career, but has played better and is a solid returner.

Carlos Hyde is good back, powerful runner, but I'm having trouble giving many RBs a Top 50 grade this year so far.

Hageman out of Minny is a prospect I've liked for a while.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Especially Paul Richardson as a sleeper.

Love the receivers in this draft. Have to imagine we'll take one in the first 2 days.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »
Shilique Calhoun is the best player missing.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

Richardson is lower because of the strength of the class.  He's a good player, but even Cooks and Parker are a bit lower than I'd like, and it's not likely that even more receivers belong in that top 50.  He's a solid player, but nothing dynamic. 

The corners as a whole don't really impress me right now.  Joyner and Ekpre Olomu are the best in my mind, but after that there's a lot to prove for all of them. 

I think Van Noy is a guy who can fit in more schemes than I originally credited him for.  I think in a 34 he might have trouble because he doesn't have the body to hold up to constant battles with OL, but if it's a hybrid front he'll be fine.  What makes him valuable is that he is so good in space and blitzing from different spots that teams will take him and fit a role to him.

Lee isn't necessarily one spot behind, it's all by position within the groups.  Evans would be 11 or 12 and Lee/Adams would be lower, maybe between 18 and 20 for the both of them.  Still though, Lee is a kid that was seen as a top 5 player and has all of the tools to be a great wideout.  I can't justify taking him out of the top 20, even if means just being a few spots behind Evans.

As for Lewan vs. Matthews, it's really not even a toss up to me.  I wasn't a big fan of Matthews last year, I thought he was raw and didn't have the talent of the top 5 guy that people were saying he was.  Fisher was way better, and Joeckel was clearly the better of the two TAMU guys.  I don't think he would have had a shot of holding off Lane Johnson for that 3rd OT spot considering how much more athletic Johnson was.  I think that Lewan is a more balanced player, and is just as/more dominant and proven as a run blocker. 

Shilique Calhoun is the best player missing.

I watched Calhoun on the word of a few of you guys, and he's a year away.  He looks the part, but gets eaten up by strong tackles and doesn't have the moves to play End in the NFL next year.  I don't think he's a top 2 round guy if he leaves this year, even with the sack totals.  He'd have to round out his game.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
Where do you think Chris Smith will go?

I'm a big fan of his game. 

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 04:28:09 AM »
Sorry missed that last post E. I have in that 40 range but really anywhere in the 2nd/3rd.  There's a lot of competition on those Day 2 tiers for rush LB types. As a guy who could play end too he'll have a better shot that others of sticking in the 2nd, but I don't see him riding above that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shellder Richardson

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 12:51:49 AM »
Smith has had a pretty disappointing year in SEC play, only a few sacks.

Tags: