Author Topic: Soccer  (Read 77952 times)

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
Re: Soccer
« Reply #480 on: July 07, 2021, 04:43:56 PM »
HOLY freak WE'VE ONLY JUST GONE AND MADE IT TO THE FINAL

Kudos to Southgate who was very embattled coming into this tournament.

Sunday will be a very, very interesting match. I'm concerned the English just have too much firepower for that geriatric back line of Italy, especially sans Spinazzola who was utterly fantastic for them before he got hurt.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #481 on: July 07, 2021, 04:46:15 PM »
Kudos to Southgate who was very embattled coming into this tournament.

Sunday will be a very, very interesting match. I'm concerned the English just have too much firepower for that geriatric back line of Italy, especially sans Spinazzola who was utterly fantastic for them before he got hurt.

I honestly don't know. Italy are battle tested and know how to win tournaments. This is the first tournament final we've made in my lifetime and I'm at the wrong end of my 40s.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #482 on: July 07, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
Italy needs to put an end to JE's reverse jinx act.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #483 on: July 07, 2021, 06:04:41 PM »
Italy needs to put an end to JE's reverse jinx act.

Maybe if you'd spent your entire life watching your team let you down then you'd....... oh right.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #484 on: July 11, 2021, 09:03:11 AM »
Starting to get a bit nervous now. I think the one thing we can be sure of is that no matter the result of the game, the UK is going to be an absolute freaking riot zone tonight. From the coverage I'm seeing the entire country is drinking its own bodyweight in cheap lager this afternoon.

casman02

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #485 on: July 11, 2021, 05:21:36 PM »
Switched of the end of the yankee game to watch PKs because I thought it was safe....I was wrong

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #486 on: July 11, 2021, 05:38:38 PM »
yeah southgate lost that one. got the tactics and subs all wrong.

wasn't sure what he was trying to accomplish with that 343 when i first saw the lineup, but then it became evident throughout the entire game. despite the early goal italy were in the driver's seat the entire match save for the last few minutes of the 2nd extra period

bringing on rashford and sancho for literally one minute to have them kick PKs? they were going to be cold, it was so obvious they'd be missing. the PKs were literally their first touches of the game

also, did he choose all 5 PK takers? why is saka taking the last pen? why aren't vets like sterling or grealish wrestling the ball away from him?

this is/was a very talented english team and they were in the final. the time is now. they should have won this game. fair play to mancini and the italian team

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #487 on: July 12, 2021, 09:04:41 AM »

wasn't sure what he was trying to accomplish with that 343 when i first saw the lineup, but then it became evident throughout the entire game. despite the early goal italy were in the driver's seat the entire match save for the last few minutes of the 2nd extra period

bringing on rashford and sancho for literally one minute to have them kick PKs? they were going to be cold, it was so obvious they'd be missing. the PKs were literally their first touches of the game

also, did he choose all 5 PK takers? why is saka taking the last pen? why aren't vets like sterling or grealish wrestling the ball away from him?

this is/was a very talented english team and they were in the final. the time is now. they should have won this game. fair play to mancini and the italian team

A couple thoughts, especially in light of what I think is very good analysis;

What Mancini has been able to do, both in rebuilding the confidence and pride in a national team that was thoroughly eviscerated (and rightfully so) for not qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, as well as getting a national team to buy in and play with cohesion, is nothing short of remarkable. A tremendous coaching job, (especially relatively speaking when you consider the talent at his disposal as opposed to a Belgium or France) for a guy who's coaching career was considered finished after Zenit. Very happy for the guys like Chiellini and Bonucci who weren't around for 06 and saw their generation (aside from a flukey Euro final in 12 in which they got shitstomped anyway) be marked by historic failure.

As much as I do think there were other teams with more talent though, some tried to paint the Italians as being bereft of any sort of skill which is a load of bullshit when you consider that the country just shits out generational goaltenders. Donnarumma is a stud.

Southgate almost seemed paralyzed by his options, and as you said made subs based on PK's entirely too late when you consider Rashford and Sancho were coming on stone cold.

Having said that, the Three Lions are so set up for success next year, they really do have a squad that has a massive amount of youth and talent with minimal weak links. I was so impressed with Pickford's performance throughout, he played his derriere off.

What a fun appetizer this tournament was for next years (ugh how freaking stupid) winter World Cup.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:25:51 PM by mj2sexay »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »

I don't know about getting it all wrong, but I think it's fair to say that he could have been more adventurous and aggressive with the attacking options at his disposal.

As to the penalty takers, Sterling has taken 5 penalties in his career and missed 3 of them. It's such a young squad (by next World Cup only 3 of them - Trippier, Walker and Henderson - will have hit 30) that he went with scoring ability over experience for the shootout, because we don't have the experience in the team. I don't know how Southgate chose the takers, but it's usually chosen in advance of the game so it's not like they were suddenly thrust into it without preparation. And Italy were very smart and wily - Rashford and Sancho were standing on the touchline for a good couple of minutes waiting to come on and Italy kept possession, and even took a really quick throw at one point, to stop them being brought on and getting any kind of touch.

Of all the teams in the tournament to lose to, I really don't mind Italy. There's a lot to like about that team.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #490 on: July 20, 2021, 10:21:13 AM »
Unnamed Everton player suspended by the club after being arrested by Greater Manchester Police for sexual offences involving a minor. According to the Twitter machine it's Gylfi Sigurdsson, Icelandic midfielder.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #492 on: August 10, 2021, 05:08:32 PM »
bon jour Lionel!

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2021, 09:35:05 PM »
Completely unacceptable behavior from the Nice fans today. Like, what the freak? There shouldn’t be a fan in that stadium until 2022. And, people blaming Payet and Guonduezzi(sp) are part of the problem. The refs, security, cops and club all bottled that excrement.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #494 on: August 26, 2021, 04:41:45 PM »
Apparently CR7 is on the move to City.

Woahhhh.

Tags: