Author Topic: Soccer  (Read 78010 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: Soccer
« Reply #450 on: June 13, 2021, 07:23:26 PM »
christian eriksen died on the pitch yesterday before being brought back to life. i think the general public 'gets it' overall but i'm not quite certain they understand he was legitimately dead, especially when the terminology being used to describe the situation is 'collapsed and revived' and 'trying to stabilize him'....which is technically true, but i don't think truly describes how scary that situation was.

it's the only way i can think of espn cameras and bigheads choosing to continually roll the cameras as he's receiving compressions and getting shocked for vtach/vfib. they didn't actually understand he was dead, but chose to livestream eriksen's dead body for 6 minutes to the general public before cutting away. i have never seen anything like this during live sports and wouldn't imagine the general public freely being broadcast these images. credit to the danish players for trying to cover his body as best they could, as heartbreaking as it was

im of course glad eriksen is alive and that he is 'awake and alert'. that is the best you can hope for from any resuscitation effort. however i was deeply disturbed by those first two minutes where he did not receive any compressions whatsoever, and the medics were just toying around in his mouth the whole time. im almost 100% certain he was legit dead the second he hit the pitch. his eyes were fixed and his body was stiff/motionless/in the process of 'rigor mortis'-ing. two minutes without any blood circulating to the brain is an eternity, and as unfortunate as this may be i wouldn't be surprised if his brain is 'changed' after this event. that fvcking pissed me off

very unsettling, and i hope the best for him

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #451 on: June 13, 2021, 08:02:27 PM »
christian eriksen died on the pitch yesterday before being brought back to life. i think the general public 'gets it' overall but i'm not quite certain they understand he was legitimately dead, especially when the terminology being used to describe the situation is 'collapsed and revived' and 'trying to stabilize him'....which is technically true, but i don't think truly describes how scary that situation was.

it's the only way i can think of espn cameras and bigheads choosing to continually roll the cameras as he's receiving compressions and getting shocked for vtach/vfib. they didn't actually understand he was dead, but chose to livestream eriksen's dead body for 6 minutes to the general public before cutting away. i have never seen anything like this during live sports and wouldn't imagine the general public freely being broadcast these images. credit to the danish players for trying to cover his body as best they could, as heartbreaking as it was

im of course glad eriksen is alive and that he is 'awake and alert'. that is the best you can hope for from any resuscitation effort. however i was deeply disturbed by those first two minutes where he did not receive any compressions whatsoever, and the medics were just toying around in his mouth the whole time. im almost 100% certain he was legit dead the second he hit the pitch. his eyes were fixed and his body was stiff/motionless/in the process of 'rigor mortis'-ing. two minutes without any blood circulating to the brain is an eternity, and as unfortunate as this may be i wouldn't be surprised if his brain is 'changed' after this event. that fvcking pissed me off

very unsettling, and i hope the best for him

I didn't see it as I was out but it sounded pretty wild. There's history here with Fabrice Muamba and Marc-Vivien Foe, it's obviously an incredibly rare event but it has happened before in soccer at the top level. And a number of years ago it happened in a Forest game, Clive Clarke had a heart attack in the dressing room at half time during a cup tie with Leicester. Muamba and Clarke both survived and made a full recovery, but I don't think either ever played again - I suspect that will be the case with Eriksen as well.

Big props to the Danish captain though, apparently he gave Eriksen CPR initially before the medics got there and then had the presence of mind to tell the players to stand around him in a circle so the cameras and fans couldn't see what was going on. We can all hope to have the composure, presence of mind and decency to think like that in such a situation.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #452 on: June 13, 2021, 08:13:06 PM »
I didn't see it as I was out but it sounded pretty wild. There's history here with Fabrice Muamba and Marc-Vivien Foe, it's obviously an incredibly rare event but it has happened before in soccer at the top level. And a number of years ago it happened in a Forest game, Clive Clarke had a heart attack in the dressing room at half time during a cup tie with Leicester. Muamba and Clarke both survived and made a full recovery, but I don't think either ever played again - I suspect that will be the case with Eriksen as well.

Big props to the Danish captain though, apparently he gave Eriksen CPR initially before the medics got there and then had the presence of mind to tell the players to stand around him in a circle so the cameras and fans couldn't see what was going on. We can all hope to have the composure, presence of mind and decency to think like that in such a situation.

i thought of both when i heard this happened yesterday, but i don't actually think they continually livestreamed both as resuscitative efforts were being made as far as i'm aware, but i could be wrong? i never actually saw footage of either event, i only knew that they happened. eriksen's event was in HD for all of us to see, and they kept going for minutes before they decided it was time to cut the broadcast away. very tragic and traumatic for all involved

kjaer was very brave for what he did in a situation he likely has not been subject to often, if at all. we need to make a better effort on educating the public on what to do in end-of-life situations. studies have shown the best outcomes for cardiac arrest occur when the patient either gets 3 straight minutes of compressions after arrest occurs (real simple stuff), or if they receive a shock from the AED for a shockable rhythm within the first two minutes of arrest occurring. that's why it was so maddening to see those medics fumbling around with his airway for the first two minutes after he arrested, and im glad he seems to be doing okay currently

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #453 on: June 13, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »
iwe need to make a better effort on educating the public on what to do in end-of-life situations. studies have shown the best outcomes for cardiac arrest occur when the patient either gets 3 straight minutes of compressions after arrest occurs (real simple stuff), or if they receive a shock from the AED for a shockable rhythm within the first two minutes of arrest occurring.

Y'know, I've told myself so many times I should do a first aid course so I would know what to do in a situation like this where someone drops in front of me. Never have.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #454 on: June 13, 2021, 08:26:42 PM »
Y'know, I've told myself so many times I should do a first aid course so I would know what to do in a situation like this where someone drops in front of me. Never have.

And now I have. One day course with St Johns Ambulance on July 15th.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #455 on: June 13, 2021, 09:35:46 PM »
And now I have. One day course with St Johns Ambulance on July 15th.

haha that's awesome, good stuff man.

in theory, first aid/bls courses are very 'accessible', but the medical community needs to do a better job of figuring out ways to educate the general public and in a more efficient fashion as well. in certain instances, some first aid/bls courses can take up to 6 hours to complete on a 'difficult to give up' day like a saturday, and can cost hundreds of dollars to register. it's like we're trying to figure out the best ways to deter the general public from signing up and getting certified.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2021, 11:31:13 PM »

in theory, first aid/bls courses are very 'accessible', but the medical community needs to do a better job of figuring out ways to educate the general public and in a more efficient fashion as well. in certain instances, some first aid/bls courses can take up to 6 hours to complete on a 'difficult to give up' day like a saturday, and can cost hundreds of dollars to register. it's like we're trying to figure out the best ways to deter the general public from signing up and getting certified.
It's $100 and it's a full day in the middle of the week. I'll write it off as a business expense, but I agree - it seems like something that anyone should be able to do on government dime, and in a convenient way.

I'm doing it because having now had this conversation at least three times in the last decade, if I don't do it and someone drops in front of me and I don't know what to do I don't know if I'll forgive myself.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #457 on: June 14, 2021, 06:15:31 AM »

I had to get CPR certified through the boy scouts before every summer I worked at camp, I remember it seemed like they were constantly tweaking the procedure for CPR. Last time I did it was through a backcountry medicine course in my last semester of college in 2010.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #458 on: June 14, 2021, 10:00:53 AM »
The Czechs' second goal against Scotland was outrageous.

https://streamwo.com/3duawny

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #459 on: June 14, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
Did Germany win the cup yet?
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »
The Czechs' second goal against Scotland was outrageous.

https://streamwo.com/3duawny

Get back!!   Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ThlV5Zv4E

or this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZObriUnItM

edit: get well christian eriksen
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:00:41 PM by delavan »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #461 on: June 15, 2021, 02:22:02 PM »
This whole tournament seems rather pointless, we can probably just skip the rest of the games and give the trophy to France now. Their movement and vision and passing is on a different level to anyone else.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #462 on: June 15, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »
This whole tournament seems rather pointless, we can probably just skip the rest of the games and give the trophy to France now. Their movement and vision and passing is on a different level to anyone else.

but i don't like France, they're french too much.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #463 on: June 15, 2021, 03:47:38 PM »

they won their WC without benzema, who is still one of the best 9s in the world and is coming off an amazing year. an embarrassment of talent riches

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #464 on: June 15, 2021, 03:57:29 PM »
The idea that England, spearheaded by Harry "Deadlegs" Kane, can live with the kind of firepower that France have is laughable.

Tags: