Author Topic: Soccer  (Read 77424 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: Soccer
« Reply #405 on: November 20, 2019, 08:32:17 PM »
I have strong feelings about Mourinho, and they're all positive. Can't remember if I've told you my story about him but he's a class act.

say it

for the record i am a fan of mourinho as well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #406 on: November 21, 2019, 11:54:06 AM »
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #407 on: November 21, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »
say it

for the record i am a fan of mourinho as well

Pretty sure I've told you this before, but my friend is a soccer journalist and statistician in the UK (a proper one who makes actual good money from doing it, not a blogger and Twitter gobshite) and is well connected with a lot of clubs and managers.

He told me a story a bunch of years ago that he had been given first hand from the manager of Wycombe Wanderers (I think) when Mourinho was the Chelsea manager, and they played Wycombe at Stamford Bridge in the 3rd round of the Cup. This was back in the days when Chelsea were all conquering and they had players like Drogba, Essien, Lampard and Terry at the height of their powers, and Wycombe were a nobody fourth division team.

First of all, as soon as the draw was announced the Wycombe guy received a call the following day at his office from Mourinho personally, inviting him to bring his team down to Stamford Bridge the day before to have a training session on the pitch so that they could get used to the stadium and its scale (most players at that level would never have played in a stadium like that and likely never would again), and asking him if there was anything else that they would like. While it's normal for the host club to provide assistance to the visitors, it's not normal for the first team manager to do it and particularly not one who is supposed to be concentrating on the Premier League and Champions League campaigns, and there's certainly no requirement to go out of your way to help the opposition to be more prepared for match day.

On the day of the game, Mourinho played a semi-reserve team (likely still full of internationals and stars each of whom probably made more per week than the entire Wycombe starting XI) and got the expected result - something like a 5-0 or 6-0 victory. What was really special was post game, as the Wycombe players were back in the locker room getting changed. There's a knock at the door, the coaches have a quick word with whoever is there, then open it up and let Mourinho in. "Lads, Jose Mourinho wants to talk with you all." Jose proceeds to give a ten minute speech congratulating them all on their performance, picking out individual players for the things they did well and identifying things they could work on to become better. He then invites them all to come to the players bar after they've changed to have a drink with him and his team, and when they get there he has told his entire squad, even the global megastars who weren't in the team that day, to be in the bar to have a drink with their counterparts. He then took the manager aside and handed him a thick dossier of all their scouting reports - even though he could have picked any eleven players from his squad and sent them out there with no instructions and still have won at a canter, he'd respected them enough to send his scouts to watch Wycombe, identify their danger men and their tactics, and how to best counter them. To hand that information over is pretty much unheard of, for a fourth division coach to get that kind of intelligence and feedback from a top European head coach is the kind of help you just can't buy.

Jose Mourinho is a lover of the game and a true sportsman who understands and respects what makes it great, and he is a class act.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #408 on: November 27, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
I have a really long answer I’m gonna save for this when I’m at work later.

Well. We're waiting!

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #409 on: November 27, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
Well. We're waiting!
Lol I don’t feel like giving a long answer right now but I think Pochettino became a victim of his own success. I also think his tendency to hold grudges also became his undoing. This team had clearly started tuning him out, they were playing uninspired football, and his chairman never fully supported him. Levy is a big part of the problem and he always will be.

Poch will definitely be managing again soon and I think he would have moved on soon anyway. But, and I hate to say it, it was probably time for him to go. I will reserve judgement on Mourinho, I’ve always viewed him as the enemy, but if anyone can finally get this bunch a trophy, it’s him.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #410 on: December 11, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
Nothing like firing your Champions League winning coach after he gets you to the Round of 16!

I was a huge fan of Gattuso when he played, but meh.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #411 on: December 11, 2019, 03:51:53 PM »
Nothing like firing your Champions League winning coach after he gets you to the Round of 16!

I was a huge fan of Gattuso when he played, but meh.
Gattuso was a bastard man of a player.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #412 on: December 11, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #413 on: December 17, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »
https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/serie-a-criticized-for-use-of-monkeys-in-anti-racism-art/

Yikes.

To quote Ned Flanders, "can't you morons do anything right?!"

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2020, 11:38:23 AM »
This kid Haaland playing for Dortmund looks like the new footie sensation. His dad starred at Leeds so I’m sure JE knows him well. Speaking of JE, Forest looking like a threat to be promoted....

Spurs new man, Bergwijn scored a real cracker in his debut on Sunday. That was their best win since the Ajax CL match. Easily.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:42:12 AM by guinness77 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #415 on: February 05, 2020, 01:16:17 PM »
This kid Haaland playing for Dortmund looks like the new footie sensation. His dad starred at Leeds so I’m sure JE knows him well. Speaking of JE, Forest looking like a threat to be promoted....

Spurs new man, Bergwijn scored a real cracker in his debut on Sunday. That was their best win since the Ajax CL match. Easily.
Alfie was discovered by Forest and then moved to Leeds and Man City. He's the guy who was on the wrong end of Roy Keane's infamous tackle.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2020, 01:34:03 PM »
Alfie was discovered by Forest and then moved to Leeds and Man City. He's the guy who was on the wrong end of Roy Keane's infamous tackle.
Ahh. I knew that last name sounded familiar.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2020, 11:36:55 PM »

Haaland was a guy many had an eye on before the move, he just needed the right move and to prove himself. I'm glad he decided to go to Dortmund as a stepping stone before moving to one of the giants. It's the right thing to do for him career wise. In a year's time from now he's probably going to be at Bayern.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #418 on: February 06, 2020, 12:04:01 AM »
Haaland was a guy many had an eye on before the move, he just needed the right move and to prove himself. I'm glad he decided to go to Dortmund as a stepping stone before moving to one of the giants. It's the right thing to do for him career wise. In a year's time from now he's probably going to be at Bayern.
I don’t know about Bayern. He seems pretty intent on playing in England. Funny enough, I saw that his dream is to win a PL title at Leeds and they’re currently in line to be promoted.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #419 on: February 14, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »
Wow. Man City banned from all UEFA comps for this season and next. That’s huge. 5th place now qualifies for Champions League and 6th for Europa.

Tags: