Author Topic: 2023-24 New York Yankees offseason  (Read 8813 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: 2023-24 New York Yankees offseason
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2024, 12:52:15 PM »
Might have dodged a bullet with Cole. The doctors that looked at the MRI see no tear and just advised he needs 1-2 months of rest and recovery.

But the Yankees are sending him to ElAttrache who already ordered more tests and wants to meet in person.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2024, 07:18:54 AM »
Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
The Yankees offered $150 million last month to Blake Snell but pulled their offer and declined to re-enter the sweepstakes on Sunday

*thumbs up*
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2024, 08:30:41 AM »
The Snell sweepstakes has been ridiculous, but this team still needs pitching. And if you're not going to give up Jones--and they shouldn't--you're not gonna get a guy on the trade market that's gonna be better than Stroman, Cortes, and (maybe) Rodon.

I saw they are considering Clevinger and Lorenzen. Neither of them is an upgrade to the guys already here either.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2024, 09:39:51 PM »
The Snell sweepstakes has been ridiculous, but this team still needs pitching. And if you're not going to give up Jones--and they shouldn't--you're not gonna get a guy on the trade market that's gonna be better than Stroman, Cortes, and (maybe) Rodon.

I saw they are considering Clevinger and Lorenzen. Neither of them is an upgrade to the guys already here either.

We currently have 4 SPs in our rotation
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2024, 10:30:48 PM »
We currently have 4 SPs in our rotation

Yes?

I'm assuming you mean "we need someone to start day 5" but again, neither of these guys is any better than the 4 guys we already have. Hoping Cole comes back 100% and stays that way and that we can somehow acquire a playoff-caliber #2 at the deadline is yet another "Cashman thinks he's the smartest guy in the room" gamble. A mediocre guy to add to the 4 other mediocre guys in April and May is fine, but do you trust this rotation for August through October?

This team's already selling us on a one-and-done Soto run and making a weak effort to capitalize on it.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2024, 08:54:06 AM »
Yes?

I'm assuming you mean "we need someone to start day 5" but again, neither of these guys is any better than the 4 guys we already have. Hoping Cole comes back 100% and stays that way and that we can somehow acquire a playoff-caliber #2 at the deadline is yet another "Cashman thinks he's the smartest guy in the room" gamble. A mediocre guy to add to the 4 other mediocre guys in April and May is fine, but do you trust this rotation for August through October?

This team's already selling us on a one-and-done Soto run and making a weak effort to capitalize on it.

When do you think Gerrit Cole is back? Who takes his starts in his absence? This isn’t about upgrading the rotation
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 08:56:37 AM by SixFeetDeep »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2024, 08:54:58 AM »
FWIW I’m fine if they used Clayton Beeter or Will Warren. I have no idea if they’re even possibilities.

The other option is a veteran innings eater, which we’re lucky to still have a few of available, for just money and presumably not too much
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 08:57:11 AM by SixFeetDeep »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2024, 09:29:34 AM »
When do you think Gerrit Cole is back? Who takes his starts in his absence? This isn’t about upgrading the rotation

I think Cole is back, at best, late May/early June. And that's assuming zero setbacks, which I never assume with this team.

And that's assuming he comes back 100% this year at all. Again, which I'm refusing to assume.

Even with a 100% Cole, this team needed an upgrade at the #2 starter. I like Stroman and Cortes as 3/4, and Rodon has a lot to prove before I even consider him worth a back-end start right now.

I'm not against bringing Lorenzen or Clevinger on board so we have 5 guys to stay afloat for 3 months, but what do we do after that? It's a lot of reliance on a trade market that likely won't be all that great and will be demanding one guy no one on our side wants to give up.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2024, 10:55:41 PM »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #294 on: March 21, 2024, 07:44:06 AM »
That's awesome. Let's see if he can do it against a professional team now.

Tags: