Author Topic: 2013 - 2014 College Basketball Season  (Read 23404 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: 2013 - 2014 College Basketball Season
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 10:52:10 PM »

Suh looks so small standing next to Magic
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 07:38:55 PM »
Suh is HIV+ now.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »
I haven't seen a freshman score like Jabari Parker since Durant. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
I haven't seen a freshman score like Jabari Parker since Durant. 

I remember watching Durant at Texas and being utterly shocked the Blazers took Oden, who underwhelmed me then. I still think had he come with capable knees he would have been solid, but Durant was still the guy who was going to be the be best player.
Need a new one for a new board...

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 01:41:54 PM »
I remember watching Durant at Texas and being utterly shocked the Blazers took Oden, who underwhelmed me then. I still think had he come with capable knees he would have been solid, but Durant was still the guy who was going to be the be best player.

No way, Oden was a once in a decade type prospect.   Durant was a freak too but a 7 foot center gets priority.

I think 29/30 GMs said they would have picked Oden at #1.

He was one of the best prospects of all time right near Lebron.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
http://deadspin.com/michigan-state-students-force-two-consecutive-shot-cloc-1465825995

We would do that every game in the Cuse student section while I was there. It's not a new technique, it's employed by fans everywhere. It does work though  more frequently making think they have less time than they actually do, though.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
No way, Oden was a once in a decade type prospect.   Durant was a freak too but a 7 foot center gets priority.

I think 29/30 GMs said they would have picked Oden at #1.

He was one of the best prospects of all time right near Lebron.

Totally disagree, Oden was a top prospect, but let's not pretend Durant was small change, the guy was clearly a top prospect, and frankly he's pretty freaking close to a once a decade player. The 7footer was hurt in college, not as dominant as Durant, and if memory serves wasn't able to carry his team as deep in the tournament as Durant despite the easier draw, and the better supporting cast at OSU that season.

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 05:44:08 PM »
Totally disagree, Oden was a top prospect, but let's not pretend Durant was small change, the guy was clearly a top prospect, and frankly he's pretty freaking close to a once a decade player. The 7footer was hurt in college, not as dominant as Durant, and if memory serves wasn't able to carry his team as deep in the tournament as Durant despite the easier draw, and the better supporting cast at OSU that season.

Durant was an incredible prospect as well but Oden was on an even higher level.  Who cares what they did in college, it's all about potential in the NBA Draft....and a 7 footer center who can control the paint will always get priority over a wing player of equal talent.

Oden goes #1 in every draft in recent memory besides 2003.

Durant probably goes #1 in most of the other ones besides Oden/LeBron/maybe Anthony Davis
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:45:46 PM by 624 »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 02:43:39 AM »

Durant was an incredible prospect as well but Oden was on an even higher level.  Who cares what they did in college, it's all about potential in the NBA Draft....and a 7 footer center who can control the paint will always get priority over a wing player of equal talent.

Oden goes #1 in every draft in recent memory besides 2003.

Durant probably goes #1 in most of the other ones besides Oden/LeBron/maybe Anthony Davis

Because it's an indicator of future success. Frankly your opinion is exactly why so many lottery picks turn out to be worthless NBA players, because they have athletic ability that screams sky high potential, and absolutely no production to back it up.

Think of it this way, would you be super excited if the Jets drafted a QB with the arm of Jamarcus Russel, and the speed of RGIII in the first round, even if the guy hadn't played college at a high level and threw interceptions on a regular basis?

I sure wouldn't be. Maybe he would get past his problems, but maybe not. Throw all the expectations of being a top pick on his shoulders, and it compounds the issues.

Note: Oden had production and he is not in this particular discussion.

Although I agree with your premise, big man over the wing if the prospects are equal, but my point is I don't think they were  I think Durant was the better talent to begin with. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 02:46:48 AM »
Paul George:  best prospect of all time

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 08:07:01 AM »
Because it's an indicator of future success. Frankly your opinion is exactly why so many lottery picks turn out to be worthless NBA players, because they have athletic ability that screams sky high potential, and absolutely no production to back it up.

Think of it this way, would you be super excited if the Jets drafted a QB with the arm of Jamarcus Russel, and the speed of RGIII in the first round, even if the guy hadn't played college at a high level and threw interceptions on a regular basis?

I sure wouldn't be. Maybe he would get past his problems, but maybe not. Throw all the expectations of being a top pick on his shoulders, and it compounds the issues.

Note: Oden had production and he is not in this particular discussion.

Although I agree with your premise, big man over the wing if the prospects are equal, but my point is I don't think they were  I think Durant was the better talent to begin with. Agree to disagree I suppose.

You can't compare the NFL draft to the nba draft.   And Oden wasn't just a combine beast he also had great production even with his injury (no one knds it would be chronic at the time)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
You can't compare the NFL draft to the nba draft.   And Oden wasn't just a combine beast he also had great production even with his injury (no one knds it would be chronic at the time)

You obviously missed my disclaimer that I was make a general point, that  didn't include Oden. as he clearly had production at a near top level. I just don't think he was as good a prospect as Durant.

As to the NFL/NBA comparison I made it was the best off the top of my head example I could come up with.

An elite athlete with no production that is drafted high reminds me very much of the old coaches line "you're potential is good enough to get me fired kid" and IMO it happens all the time in the NBA draft generally from about picks 10-25 is the range it happens in. There are always 4-5 guys picked in that range who people say "that guy needs a year, or two years tops in the NBDL/to stay in Europe, then bam he will explode on the NBA scene. I'd wager 75-80% of those guys never set foot on an NBA court, yet are paid tons of guaranteed cash by the team to do so.

Separate, yet not completely unrelated annoyance about the NBA draft,

I really really wish the NBA would adopt the MLB system, either go pro right out of high school, or spend 2/3 years in college first.  The very best go to the league right when they are ready and the assosciation gets the next Lebron/Anthony Davis right away with no wait time, while the vast majority of players get at least one more year in college to bulk up, and polish their games even more, so they are actually prepared to enter the Association, and have a better chance to create a real NBA career.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:22:25 AM by Libero_2 »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 04:21:06 PM »
So last night Kentucky lost to Baylor.

40-0 my derriere John Calipari.

Also Kansas currently down 3 with 90 seconds to play...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 04:33:45 PM »
Colorado holds on and beats Kansas!

CU - 75
KU - 72

Kansas tied it with 5 seconds left at 72, CU turns around and knocks in a triple to win with 1 second left. wow!

Tags: